Game of thrones kings guard armor WIP

I have been trying to find this answer out... I am building an armor, never used plasti-dip before on EVA foam, about how much plasti-dip does a coat take? how many coats do you recommend? Where to get the best deal on plasti-dip? I am trying to figure out if I can afford to do plasti-dip or if I need to do something else

I have been trying to find this answer out... I am building an armor, never used plasti-dip before on EVA foam, about how much plasti-dip does a coat take? how many coats do you recommend? Where to get the best deal on plasti-dip? I am trying to figure out if I can afford to do plasti-dip or if I need to do something else

you'll want to seal the foam, so don't cake it on, a light coat per layer will do, end goal is to not see the under foam. 2 coats usually worked for me. most places will have the same price on plasti-dip. a cheaper method would be elmers glue and water diluted. stealth had a video on youtube all about sealing eva foam check out his tutorials as they greatly helped me learn the basics.

I think using plastidip and using PVA (Elmer's Glue) are kind of two different methods. The plastidip will seal the foam but will also give it more strength so it feels harder. And correct me if I'm wrong Josh but the plastidip won't peel off; it bonds to the foam pretty well. Whereas the PVA will seal the foam for painting, but suffers from being damaged very easily. I sealed my War Machine in PVA and it took to paint beautifully, but after wearing it a half dozen times, there's a lot of visible damage that I don't think occurs to plastidip treated foam armors.

Ok great, so how many cans does a costume take? And where is the best place to buy cans of plasti on a budget? I also, in my google searching, found another forum where someone suggested latex base house paint for sealing the foam, saying that it was similar to plasti in how it worked, but funds being tight, would rather stick with the tried and true method if I can afford it rather than an experiment that might not work as well.
I tried posting these questions on my own build thread, but no one responded :(
Anyway, don't mean to hijack your thread, thanks for your help so far

Last edited:
I think using plastidip and using PVA (Elmer's Glue) are kind of two different methods. The plastidip will seal the foam but will also give it more strength so it feels harder. And correct me if I'm wrong Josh but the plastidip won't peel off; it bonds to the foam pretty well. Whereas the PVA will seal the foam for painting, but suffers from being damaged very easily. I sealed my War Machine in PVA and it took to paint beautifully, but after wearing it a half dozen times, there's a lot of visible damage that I don't think occurs to plastidip treated foam armors.

yeah the plasti dip holds up to alot more beating then the pva glue method. the nice thing about the pva method thought it if you screwed up the paint job you could always just rip the pva layer off.

really its up to the builder
per can plasti runs at about 5-7.00 depending on where you find it.
elmers glue is 1.00

feel free to ask more questions

I bought a gallon container of PVA glue for like $15 I think but wound up only needing half of it for an entire suit, and that's for 2 or 3 layers. If you can wait to buy the PVA, wait until stores are having "back to school" sales in the fall and pick up bottles of Elmer's for $1 a piece, and 5 or 8 should do a whole suit for you.

joshspiderman23, msleeper, you two have been very helpful and very informative, last question, how many cans of plasti-dip did it take to do the Kings guard armor?
Thanks again, with this information I should be able to think and make a decision.

joshspiderman23, msleeper, you two have been very helpful and very informative, last question, how many cans of plasti-dip did it take to do the Kings guard armor?
Thanks again, with this information I should be able to think and make a decision.

2 cans for everything, I bought 3 just in case but didnt use the last can.

Thanks again, looks like I can't afford plasti-dip at this time, but will keep it in mind for when I graduate with my degree and money is not so tight. Thanks, you have been a huge help in my decision about my own build.
Your build is fantastic by the way, Did you do more with the color, or just keep it all gold tone? Any new pics

This looks absolutely awsome, man. I have wanted to try bulding an armor in foam for a long time now but never really known where to start but now i do! Very inspiring.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how hard would you say it was?

You can buy both spray-on plasti-dip and brush-on cans too. The later is much, much cheaper. I've written a lengthy post on my experiences in Drack's Iron Man thread, it's here:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/dracks-ironman-mk-vi-build-page1-includes-159992/index12.html#post2760155

The short version is that I recommend the brush-on version, but you'd probably want to thin it up a little, too. Get the biggest can possible, especially if you plan to do more costumes over time.

No version of plasti-dip will give you a perfectly smooth surface on its own, and it's very hard to use it to cover gaps between foam pieces.
However I believe it should be possible to use some sort of sandable primer on top of the plasti-dip that could give you a smooth surface and fill the gaps as well. Haven't tried anything like that yet, though.

I think it must be hit and miss with the smoothness as I have found the paint on I used levelled out lovely and smooth. Now that I have had the tin for over a year it has thickened up and experienced the same as Vargatom but a little white spirits sorted that out. It did need an extra coat though as I thinned it quite a lot but got the same result in the end.

Can't remember if I have said it before but this is an awesome build. I love the texture you have achieved with your paint it gives it a more metallic feel :)

I see this thread on the top a lot, but always seem to skip over it. I'm glad I checked it out today, AWESOME job. Really impressed. Can't wait to see more

So the skirt kind of botched up, but quick cut and ill re-do it, went ahead with mounting the straps and such.
8576053227_0180aae82e.jpg

Sorry to be adding this to most of these GoT threads, but seeing how it's SO fitting...
there is a travling prop and costume exibit from the show. It's in NYC right now and is free this sunday.... I will be doing my damnedset to be there, but everyone is out of town this weekend so it's going to suck going solo to see this. One can not geek out properly by oneself! lol :p

Game of Thrones: The Exhibition

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back