Game of thrones kings guard armor WIP

This looks amazing!! Good job! Did you plastidip the skirt/girdle panels as one unit? Or spray the scales separately?

all together but after as its curing I go back with a blade and seperate the scales
still have to spray the underside later today, trying to spray in -10 weather is a pain :unsure
8419569196_25c3ce3d4b.jpg

Nice to see a medieval style armor too. Well done, nice and ornate, and looking really close to your reference images! Keep it up!

This is looking really nice man. I am deffinatly subscribing to this one as I have a medieval style suit on the cards for the future. Can't wait to see more!

so finally got around to cutting the scales for the shoulder pieces, and blasted it with its initial plasti dip coating, I had to stop since I ran out of plasti dip but hope to pick some more up tomorrow, also got shins done too, so now after plasti dip its onto paint and fine details,
8431180095_e47a762094.jpg

8431170067_42f54c9425.jpg

I'm using three different thickness's 2mm for the soft or raised detail, 6mm for shoulder and legs, and 1/2 for the main chest which is stiff but still has a lot of play. The amazing thing I like is how light all the armor is :)

Very nice. Foamies are incredible things--with enough glue and enough foamies, you can make absolutely anything at all. ;)

One problem I was concerned you might run into--and you still may: whenever I've tried (or seen others try) to make scale armor from leather, the ends of the scales have always curled up over time and made the armor look like a pine cone. You may run into that same problem with foamie, so your scales will have to be stiff enough to prevent that.

Outstanding work matey! I'm on a real Game of Thrones kick at the mo, so it's great to come across this thread.

I'm not usually a fan of foam builds. I think it's because the ones I normally come across are Iron Man builds, and is seems very difficult to get sharp, clean joins in that angular armour style. However, your build here proves that foam building works incredibly well for these curved, fluid styles of armour. I love the approach you've taken, and the results are really beautiful. Can't wait to see more!

Nice work! I love the use of the window tubing - great way to keep the trim consistent. Definitely looking forward to your progress!

Do you find there is still a very noticeable texture from the foam after using Plasti-Dip? How many coats do you use?

There is a slight rough look after the plasti dip cures but the original foam isn't noticeable., I applied two coats to the armor

here is a pic after I played with how to attack weathering parts of it. you can see the texture in it.
404394_10151594471640561_553462614_n.jpg

Perfect, thanks for the close up shot.

I use plasti dip to coat my foam based weapons, brushing on two or three coats with foam brushes to reduce the lines. I experimented with thinners for plasti-dip but that was a disaster. The thinner ate the foam :).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back