Galileo

I didn't know the domes were going to be lit...IMO that crosses a line from restoration to enhancement and wouldn't have been my choice.

...but it ain't up to me! :) That aside, gorgeous job, and a generous donation. So nice to know it is back to its glory and in good hands.

Last edited:
The domes were not lit, the effect was achieved by simply lights set-up under the Galileo pointed at the dome . . . trust me, I was right there.

The Galileo is beautiful!

Last edited:
Astronaut Mike Finke posing with the ol girl.

I can so easily picture TOS Kirk stepping out of Galileo and shaking his hand across fiction and time.

mikefinke.jpg

"Star Trek....... touches a fundamental nerve in human beings, especially Americans, because we're pioneers and explorers...all these things that are the good parts of our country, and Star Trek captures that in a glorious way and gives us a picture towards the future."

Last edited:
More on the domes...in this pic of them unlit, it sure looks like milky semi-transparent plastic domes to me...why would they be such if there was no intention to light? Wouldn't they have painted them the same color as the nacelles?

Attachments

• g7.jpg
    g7.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 118
The domes were always translucent and BTW not painted. These domes were specified to me by the original builder, Gene Winfield

The lighting was a Space Center thing for the first day.

I have revisited and they have lit the impulse engines. And these WERE lit when "flying" so no complaints!

For the sake of posterity, whether they were before or not, the nacelles are lit completely internally now. We were there this morning, and there are currently absolutely no exterior lighting fixtures near them.

This is so great.

I cannot count how many times the recovery and restoration of this iconic model I have had over the 35 years I have been in fandom.

I am so happy to see it done at last.

I even remember when someone had it and was trying to restore it and was showing it at cons, and I touched it back then.

Rich

- Several air and space museums came to inspect during the restoration and were 100% complimentary about the techniques we used to match the original construction, and the quality of the end product.

I may have miss something here.
In what way air and space museum got involved in the original prop construction back in the days?

How could people collecting real air and space items could possibly know how were made props by props departments 45 years ago ?

May be because real space item are made the same way... :behave

That would mean the space conquest was all made inside soundstage.... :behave

That would mean that Capricorn One is in reality... a documentary ! :eek

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back