First Contact Borg Cube- Studio scale-ish... 50CM3

Something I was thinking about.

You might remember the opening sequence of BRAIN GAMES where the title was composed of tiny blocks on strings that formed the letters only when seen at one angle.

For pyrotechnics, a similarly made "cube" could have the bits on the farthest end explode first.

This way, you don't have the look of a box of sprue with M-80s in them...but a propagating wave of destruction needed for a ship of such size.

Green screen flash paper and a cannon directly behind the model bits aimed at the camera and fired as the wave terminated complete the effect.

They are very inexpensive. I think I bought 4 or 5 A2 clip frames for about €50or €60 in The Range homeware store. They are a UK company here in Ireland. So you might have them locally.

ps. I just checked the size - 800x 600mm - cost €14each.
the acrylic isnt cutting well D:
1706364009849.png

The material... I dont think its acrylic... I have other 1mm stuff that smells and cuts like acrylic... (but expensive A4 size) This smells nothing like acrylic, smells like car body filler i think. And cuts like PETG.

The material... I dont think its acrylic... I have other 1mm stuff that smells and cuts like acrylic... (but expensive A4 size) This smells nothing like acrylic, smells like car body filler i think. And cuts like PETG.
Then the description given by the manufacturer is misleading because it does clearly say Perspex clip frame.
I deliberately wanted to use 1mm acylic sheet in conjunction with the other (thicker) acrylic on my project so when I found that stuff, it solved the issue - albeit I could cut the large sheets to size with a steel ruler and scalpel (and so dodged a bullet with the issue you’re facing.)

Doesn’t help with your problem though. Return the un-used ones for a refund?

Two tests you can do. Is the edge light and frosty or dark? And if you grab a corner with pliers and bend it, does it bend or snap?

BTW everyone, sorry for the slow updates to this model.
As you can see I am working on it.
Some good news... After a stupidly long time being unemployed, just a month or two before I loose my home and move out, I MANAGED TO GET A JOB!
Its not been for a lack of trying.

So WOOHOO new job, and security! And boo no free time :p
Im currently doing light design and prep work in the evenings, and trying to do construction work on the cube over the weekends.
But as you can see this acrylic issue has really put a dampener on this weekends plans.

SOO.... thanks to the job I can actually order in some more materials even at their stupid prices. Ive ordered in a bunch of A4 1mm acrylic which is hideously expensive for what it is off amazon, that would come up tomorrow. I should be able to get the last laser cuts I need to do on that at least.

Im also starting to prep to do the brass electro etching!

its brittle like acrylic. Edges are clear.……
Yeah. That what I thought as well. Brittle and unlike polystyrene so must be acrylic. I wonder if the plastic cover sheet is interfering with the laser cutting in some way. I found with the 3 and 4mm laser cut acrylic, the stuff stinks until from the residue left on outer protective sheet is cleaned off.
…., sorry for the slow updates to this model.………..
You don’t have to be sorry on this forum. There are far more important things in life.
Good luck on your new job.

Sadly loosing our home sadly is still going to happen. Nothing short of winning the lottery will change it...
But even with UK's effed up housing market. If the job carries on going well, I'll only have to rent for a year before I can look to buy some place.
I'll have a healthy deposited from the sale my home and after dad's debts are paid.

I'll never afford a place like this again... But I'll have a place to live.

Oh I'll be mortgaging for 15 to 25 years... But I'll have something...

Yeah. That what I thought as well. Brittle and unlike polystyrene so must be acrylic. I wonder if the plastic cover sheet is interfering with the laser cutting in some way. I found with the 3 and 4mm laser cut acrylic, the stuff stinks until from the residue left on outer protective sheet is cleaned off.

You don’t have to be sorry on this forum. There are far more important things in life.
Good luck on your new job.
I really don't think it's acrylic. Unless it's some strange cast type that's out the norm.

It's also a lot more flexible in sheet form than normal acrylic. Just brittle after cutting.

Congrats on the new job! Sorry about your house though, that really sucks!

As for the plastic, who knows what it is. There's a million and one different kinds of clear plastic out there. I know how to test for a few, but outside of that I'm stumped.

Congrats on the new job! Sorry about your house though, that really sucks!

As for the plastic, who knows what it is. There's a million and one different kinds of clear plastic out there. I know how to test for a few, but outside of that I'm stumped.

Sent you a message

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back