Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

For what it's worth, I say red and gold. That's just straight up badass.

You've got three primary options:
1. Red and silver (like in the trailer)
2. Red and Gold (following the typical color scheme in the comics and the films)
3. Silver/Metal (the color that the suit would be before Stark paints it)

Make it your own man! Go for it, looks fantastic so far!!

my progress so far

Well I decided to cut 4 more ab sections that will now be for the spine and am in the process of cutting out the thighs. I need to wait till after friday to get some WEB straps for the back plates, but here is an update

PICT0135.jpg

PICT0134.jpg

This is looking VERY much like a skeleton right now, I am loving it.

Now the question is...... Do I paint it red and silver like the movie or make it my own and go red and gold?

Thank you Fett for this wonderful tutorial.

my progress so far

Well I decided to cut 4 more ab sections that will now be for the spine and am in the process of cutting out the thighs. I need to wait till after friday to get some WEB straps for the back plates, but here is an update

PICT0135.jpg

PICT0134.jpg

This is looking VERY much like a skeleton right now, I am loving it.

Now the question is...... Do I paint it red and silver like the movie or make it my own and go red and gold?

Thank you Fett for this wonderful tutorial.

Is this build made from sintra as well? i am wondering if it could be done with HIPS?

Can't wait to see how these turn out. I have been refreshing the thread for since i found it!

My suit is made out of Steralite garbage cans from Walmart. 4.50 per can. HIPS should be a viable material for this suit as well I would imagine.

ah, thanks for the quick reply.

I guess with the amount completed i assumed it was created with more than just the trash barrels.

nope, just rivets and cans. I have used around 6 to get to this point. I still have the shoulder bells, cod, shins, feet, and helmet to finish. The cod will be in plastic the rest will most likely be pepakura.

nope, just rivets and cans. I have used around 6 to get to this point. I still have the shoulder bells, cod, shins, feet, and helmet to finish. The cod will be in plastic the rest will most likely be pepakura.

Dude, you are the MASTER! This is looking great and I can't wait to see it finished.

I'm hoping to get back to the Mark V next week, but I'll be taking tips from you:lol You're doing a much better job on this than me!

I think any paint scheme you choose would look great by the way.

I've decided to go ahead and post the link to this on my Facebook page so that my fellow classmates can see it. Give them an idea or two on how simple prop constructing from basic materials can be. :D

I'm in the middle of the same build and I'm thinking the gold/red scheme, I think it would be more recognizable to the average person at a halloween party etc.
Looking good btw :thumbsup

I think by halloween everyone will know what the mark V is and you'll be the king of the party with the mark V paint job.

go all the way :)

I absolutely love when people make suits out of stuff the average family man can find and make without spending an arm and a leg on (or alerting the mrs. your starting a new project.) Thank you very much for posting this showing that it is possible to make a good looking iron man on a budget. I went looking for rubbermade at our walmart, but they only had sterilite. Do you recommend the more flat sided cans, or the more rounded sided ones?

I absolutely love when people make suits out of stuff the average family man can find and make without spending an arm and a leg on (or alerting the mrs. your starting a new project.) Thank you very much for posting this showing that it is possible to make a good looking iron man on a budget. I went looking for rubbermade at our walmart, but they only had sterilite. Do you recommend the more flat sided cans, or the more rounded sided ones?
The sterilite cans will work. I would go for the more rounded ones.

The sterilite cans will work. I would go for the more rounded ones.
rounded ones work the best from what i can tell. the curves are nice. this is my first time making anything like this and this is what i came up with. still need to bend some plastic (side ab plates ect.) went off the templates from fetts for the arc and and parts of the back. from here on out im making my own templates kinda lookin at pictures and figuring it out as i go. the abs i used are attached to the arc peice but still have movement. tons of rivets but i can hide those. the shoulder bells were cut from two toy army helmets from walmart(4$ a peice) still a work in progress..
heres a link to a pic. i dont know how to embed it :confused http://www.flickr.com/photos/48594347@N06/4584166418/

holy crap quakevirus

thats amazing it looks like it could litterally come out of a suit case the way everything is all connected that way:)

also you nailed the shoulders!

Last edited:
holy crap fetts.

thats amazing it looks like it could litterally come out of a suit case the way everything is all connected that way:)

Ooops, that's quakevirus' build. I was just trying to post the pic for him. I'm going to take it down to prevent confusion.
These guys rock!

rounded ones work the best from what i can tell. the curves are nice. this is my first time making anything like this and this is what i came up with. still need to bend some plastic (side ab plates ect.) went off the templates from fetts for the arc and and parts of the back. from here on out im making my own templates kinda lookin at pictures and figuring it out as i go. the abs i used are attached to the arc peice but still have movement. tons of rivets but i can hide those. the shoulder bells were cut from two toy army helmets from walmart(4$ a peice) still a work in progress..
heres a link to a pic. i dont know how to embed it :confused http://www.flickr.com/photos/48594347@N06/4584166418/
That suit is awesome! Great job!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back