Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

Ok...question...HOW DO YOU TRANSLATE that in Italian? I mean, what Fabric Dye? Vinyl?

I know what dye and vynil is but do you have a pic or stuff like that in order to understand better? :D Thanks!

Thanks, but it took me like 6 months to do it...you took like few hours to do that!
Title-Share? :D Anyways, I'm really blown away from what you've done!
instead of rivets I used fiberglass and then bondo to weld pieces togheter as you can see here:

wip_polpaccio4.jpg

Left one is with bondo +fiberglass on top of the 2 pieces and then sanded. The left one is the main shape with sintra.

that's another way to work with sintra.
After a while though, i realized the fiberglass is not that useful and I started to just fill holes with small pieces of sintra and then pass the bondo on top of it, but as I said, the lines of where the bondo was applied will show eventually...

Hi all.

I'm new here. I've been watching the topics for a while, and I'm starting what I hope will be my first Iron Man helmet. I have to learn all about fiber glass, and all, but I've already started with pep. I recently read about fiber glass been toxic. That's right? How could I wear a helmet if it's made of something that’s toxic?

Please, could someone tell me something about it?

Thanks a lot.

Gonzalo.

Please tell me you added the templates for that!

Also Another option for shins is to do what they did for the toy, use a mark 3 or 4s shins.

So does anyone know where to buy Sintra in bulk and very inexpensively here in the southern California area? I recalled seeing some thread about a source in Santa Monica, CA but I can't find it now! Anyone?

Again I am having flashbacks to the Captain Jack Sparrow "drama!"

Hi all.

I'm new here. I've been watching the topics for a while, and I'm starting what I hope will be my first Iron Man helmet. I have to learn all about fiber glass, and all, but I've already started with pep. I recently read about fiber glass been toxic. That's right? How could I wear a helmet if it's made of something that’s toxic?

Please, could someone tell me something about it?

Thanks a lot.

Gonzalo.
it is only toxic while it is liquid. once it cures you are safe.

So does anyone know where to buy Sintra in bulk and very inexpensively here in the southern California area? I recalled seeing some thread about a source in Santa Monica, CA but I can't find it now! Anyone?

Do you have any sign shops locally? They often have scraps / trash that they will just give away.

We have a local connection with a shop and get a near infinite amount of the stuff for free. It's printed with who knows what on it, and comes in all sorts of sizes and thicknesses, but they are happy to get rid of it.... it's just going out in their trash!

I was saying either here or in another Iron Man thread (there are a couple lol) that it's a real shame they chose to show this in the trailer. How absolutely insane would that have been to have seen that the very first time in the theater?

I agree, it's just like maul's double bladed lightsaber. The effect would have been greater if you didn't know it was coming.

Love the mark III you put together Fetts! You know, add a few more rivets and it might make for a good mark II.....

I agree, it's just like maul's double bladed lightsaber. The effect would have been greater if you didn't know it was coming.

Love the mark III you put together Fetts! You know, add a few more rivets and it might make for a good mark II.....

I was thinking the same thing. I almost asked the guy if he wanted the mark II and I would just set the rivet gun to full auto!:lol

I've got a charity called MVFM (Mark V for Mgbeach) if you'd like to donate a full suit i'd be very thankful. PM for address :p

Ok...question...HOW DO YOU TRANSLATE that in Italian? I mean, what Fabric Dye? Vinyl?

I know what dye and vynil is but do you have a pic or stuff like that in order to understand better? :D Thanks!

It's a spraypaint that can paint vinyl or plastic. It's meant for the interior of cars, so the only place to get it is at auto parts stores.

Fetts,

GREAT work!! I also won't be finishing the suit for the premier... it's such a cool project and I think I'd like to spend more time on it. I was thinking of purchasing 3mm sintra to work with. There is a tap plastics close by and it seems to be similarly priced to the trash bins and possibly more readily available.

Thanks so much again for posting and sharing. I think your concept, idea, and spirit of your thread outshines any of the negative remarks made previously.

This is really what the RPF is all about!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Hello folks,

I again had to edit or remove quite a few posts that were not on topic, where people rather wanted to discuss fellow member´s character than add constructive things to the topic that we all are following with great interest.

Please stop the discussion of a rivalry between different building techniques, since there actually is no such rivalry and should not be.

Thanks,
Michael
RPF staff

Last edited by a moderator:
While reading izabels post on rubber foam they use in the costumes over in the P.I., I thought why not use foam over the top of some of the plastic? It would hide some of the rivets add smoother detail to some pieces and still be flexable. Just a thought. -Jay

While reading izabels post on rubber foam they use in the costumes over in the P.I., I thought why not use foam over the top of some of the plastic? It would hide some of the rivets add smoother detail to some pieces and still be flexable. Just a thought. -Jay

You might be able to use the rubber exclusively with no plastic. I'm not sure, I've never worked with it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back