Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

I'm so glad I found this thread today! I'd hate to have to be following it all this time - instant gratification. Almost. Can't wait to see this done! Very inspiring.

thanks guys!!:) ive always wanted a ironman suit and well this thread kinda inspired me. ill try and put some better pics of the strap work on the abs and how its all put together. now that schools out i can put this project in high gear. ill keep everyone updated. today im gonna make templates for the cod peice and hopefully get that all done. ive been using 40qt waist baskets from the Dollar General Store. not sure if ya'll have that store in ur area. also those lil army helmets worked amazingly for the bells, the curves are perfect. i think they cost like $4 dollars apiece and i managed to get a bell outta both each of them.

Quakevirus,

Looks awesome!

How will you put this on? Can you slip it on through the opening in the bottom? Can your arms fit through the arm holes and slip down by your sides? Just wondering.

Paul D.

thanks guys!!:) ive always wanted a ironman suit and well this thread kinda inspired me. ill try and put some better pics of the strap work on the abs and how its all put together. now that schools out i can put this project in high gear. ill keep everyone updated. today im gonna make templates for the cod peice and hopefully get that all done. ive been using 40qt waist baskets from the Dollar General Store. not sure if ya'll have that store in ur area. also those lil army helmets worked amazingly for the bells, the curves are perfect. i think they cost like $4 dollars apiece and i managed to get a bell outta both each of them.

I'm wondering, how much are the 40qt at the Dollar General? (Don't judge me! Not everything is 1 dollar there! >.>)
:)

Also, I hate trying to do this on a "Poor Man's" budget, but its hella quicker and better looking than Pepakura is turning out.

Edit: Suit looks STELLAR btw.

Quakevirus,

Looks awesome!

How will you put this on? Can you slip it on through the opening in the bottom? Can your arms fit through the arm holes and slip down by your sides? Just wondering.

Paul D.
the back velcros in two spots, and the ab straps will connect in the back under the spineplating some how, most likely with velcro aswell. here are some pics of how it attaches and all the riviting points and strap layout.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48594347@N06/4584444990/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48594347@N06/4583817713/

I'm wondering, how much are the 40qt at the Dollar General? (Don't judge me! Not everything is 1 dollar there! >.>)
:)

Also, I hate trying to do this on a "Poor Man's" budget, but its hella quicker and better looking than Pepakura is turning out.

Edit: Suit looks STELLAR btw.

not judging here man!! im a college student with two kids. im ALWAYS on a budget!:lol i think they were like $4 a piece and ive used 5 so far. the bells were made from little army helmets from walmart ($4 a piece) Punisher here on RPF is making me the pepakura helmet.:)

not judging here man!! im a college student with two kids. im ALWAYS on a budget!:lol i think they were like $4 a piece and ive used 5 so far. the bells were made from little army helmets from walmart ($4 a piece) Punisher here on RPF is making me the pepakura helmet.:)

:eek
Well in that case I got no excuses. :thumbsup
Very cool man, and once again amazingly impressive. I can't wait to see the finished product.
I'm curious though if anyone has given bondo a test on the trashbin plastic yet?
If not I might be bold enough to try, if only to see if its possible to get some additional detail work in.

:eek
Well in that case I got no excuses. :thumbsup
Very cool man, and once again amazingly impressive. I can't wait to see the finished product.
I'm curious though if anyone has given bondo a test on the trashbin plastic yet?
If not I might be bold enough to try, if only to see if its possible to get some additional detail work in.
thats right no excuses!!:lol cant wait to see others finish theres aswell. as for bondo im not sure just because of the flex in the plastic.

my exfather in law owns a body shop here, so when im ready for pain im going to talk to him about filling the rivet holes and ill be painting it there with all his equipment.:) im almost positive he has some sorta vinyl filler he uses when he repairs car bumpers that would work.

thats right no excuses!!:lol cant wait to see others finish theres aswell. as for bondo im not sure just because of the flex in the plastic.

my exfather in law owns a body shop here, so when im ready for pain im going to talk to him about filling the rivet holes and ill be painting it there with all his equipment.:) im almost positive he has some sorta vinyl filler he uses when he repairs car bumpers that would work.

You know I made a Jar Jar head (I was being sardonic when making it) about ten years ago out of paper mache and wire and had used some sort of vinyl stuff my dad had in his garage to coat it. It was probably meant to be filler like that but it worked out perfect for the mask. If what you're talking about is that then it'd probably work out fine-
Of course I've got a terrible memory, particularly for the random found-items in the garage and what their names are (generally because the labels are most often missing), so I could easily be mistaking it for some other miracle product that didnt eat through the mask.

Also, as a heads up. I just stumbled across this stuff, Dupont Flexible Putty (link at the bottom). Looks like its for smoothing cracks and seams in plastics and has an impressive bend after curing. Any thoughts from the more enlightened on it?

Dupont 2270S Felixible Putty

What about using hot melt glue as filler or to add extra detail? It remains flexible after it solidifies, so the only issue would be whether or not it will adhere well to the plastic being used. Hot glue also has the advantages of being widely available, cheap, and relatively easy to work with – all of which seem to be themes for this thread.

What about using hot melt glue as filler or to add extra detail? It remains flexible after it solidifies, so the only issue would be whether or not it will adhere well to the plastic being used. Hot glue also has the advantages of being widely available, cheap, and relatively easy to work with – all of which seem to be themes for this thread.

Peronsally I'd say "BRILLIANT!"

As proof positive of whats possible with lots and lots of hot glue I submit the following.

BioWeapons

Quakevirus, Thank you for those pics. Your suit looks great! You have given me some great ideas.

thanks im pretty excited about how its turning out. it's my first one, so im kinda figuring it out as i go. this thread has helped me out alot! thanks again fett.:thumbsup if any one has any questions just message me. i feel bad posting so much about my stuff on fetts thread.

thanks im pretty excited about how its turning out. it's my first one, so im kinda figuring it out as i go. this thread has helped me out alot! thanks again fett.:thumbsup if any one has any questions just message me. i feel bad posting so much about my stuff on fetts thread.

I don't mind. I'm glad your posting this. :)

All great stuff!

Im a newbie but fett can you help me?
what are the settings on your printer and how do you print the 1:2 scale templates?

In the print folder of the zip file the templates are in PDF format and already sized to print. The documents are also in JPEG format ready to print in letter format in case you prefer that.

You and fetts are my ironman heros, lol. We really need to figure out the helmet problems though. :wacko So how many rivets have you used so far? I think it looks cool with the rivets showing btw.

I don't mind. I'm glad your posting this. :)

All great stuff!
well in that case!:) made the cod piece today and test fitted it all together. the cod peice attaches to the bottom ab plate in the front and in the back on the spine plate. heres a couple pics of it all together so far straps arent straight in the pics..ooops. i need to trim the bottom of the side plates so that they dont stick out the bottom of the cod piece.. but alll and all im happy so far. will get better pics up tomorrow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48594347@N06/4585674248/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48594347@N06/4585674618/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48594347@N06/4585675094/in/photostream/

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back