Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

Looking very cool, I think Walmart is going to have a shortage of trash cans in the next while. :eek:cool
I really like the armor in black for some reason, might do mine as a stealth version or something. :love

The articulation is based on armoring techniques that date back to the middle ages, it is known as Compression Articulation. As for the electronics those aren't anything new. Heck Mando costumers have been using those same techniques for years. including animated helmets.

Im not trying derail your thread, but I do call them like i see them....

That's cool man. I respect your opinion, which is welcomed by me. You're not derailing anything. This is just a quick and dirty build to illustrate the technique, not to turn out a beautiful costume. The only reason I'm even cutting plastic is because it's nice to see pictures instead of just reading a step by step tutorial. Just trying to help folks out, exchanging ideas. Get those creative juices flowing.

What does it matter if you buy your plastic in a sheet or in a trashcan? Your source of plastic is not equal to the impressiveness of your finished costume.

I hope that people are able to use this technique

So yea. It's a quick and dirty build, but I'm not here to show off.

The articulation is based on armoring techniques that date back to the middle ages, it is known as Compression Articulation. As for the electronics those aren't anything new. Heck Mando costumers have been using those same techniques for years. including animated helmets.

Yep. :thumbsup I posted a link to the AC technique in his thread old as dirt. :)
And the hing system is nothing crazy for sure, I'll have drawings up in my thread soon enough. Have a vid already.

Back on topic, any progress on the leg sections or are they basically the same as the arms to build. :love

Yep. :thumbsup I posted a link to the AC technique in his thread old as dirt. :)
And the hing system is nothing crazy for sure, I'll have drawings up in my thread soon enough. Have a vid already.

Back on topic, any progress on the leg sections or are they basically the same as the arms to build. :love

Yea, I have a basic thigh template downloadable now. I didn't do a shin, and I don't plan to. I figure this far along anyone making this will have the hang of it by now and be able to churn out a shin. There's really nothing to it.

Any ideas on what to do to hide the elastic straps that are around your waste? Thanks for the tutorial.

In the picture I don't have the arms coming off the main abdominal plates, but they should attach to the elastic. from what I can tell the elastic is supposed to be a visible part of the costume. Maybe because I had the red shirt on and made it stand out more it looked off. You could also add some more plating on the sides to make everything blend together more, I suppose.

Last edited:
Im hoping that someone goes for with this tutorial. Its just not cool to see people down peoples hard work.

I know its been said but I want to say it again, No one here is questioning the quality of masterle's work, just his crappy "all about me" attitude. This is a prop community where people go to show off and SHARE techniques, to come here ONLY to get accolades and cheers is not what this forum is about.

hmmm. Perhaps an making an I shape. Basically the top ab plate is done like in the tutorial with a piece or two of elastic running down to a bottom belt. thus the top belt will be covered by the chest and the cod and hips would cover the bottom belt. that or rivit them to a neopream workout belt perhaps.

I think once all the armor is attached and a few dodads are attached around the plates/arms it will blend more. Also like Fet said I think it's just the bright white that makes it stand out so much, if it were black or grey like the suit it will blend in once finished. :) JMO though.

hmmm. Perhaps an making an I shape. Basically the top ab plate is done like in the tutorial with a piece or two of elastic running down to a bottom belt. thus the top belt will be covered by the chest and the cod and hips would cover the bottom belt. that or rivit them to a neopream workout belt perhaps.

Yup. That could work. Genius!

Fetts,

Ahhaa! I finally see the strategy here...every time that you post a reply to a disclaimer, it just takes time away from the "$25 IM trashcan build (Now $35 trashcan build)". So, I recommend that you stop replying and your build will be completed that much faster thus proving your point that a great/quick/Cheap build can be attained using this technique. I know, because I have done them.

I think that we could paraphrase the comments from some lines in the "Da Vinci Code"!!!
Plastic is.....well.....plastic. Rivets are......well......Rivets. Same technique, just cheaper and faster. Colonel Sanders can rest easy....cause the secret was out a long time ago.

I can gaurentee one thing. When your quick build has been completed, a side-by-side comparison will reveal that the level of sharpness is only dictated by amount of time spent to complete the armor.

Can we please dispense with anymore "throwing of barbs". I just want to see progress pics and a final product.....Just like 198 out of 200 members of this forum!!!!!

Paul D.

Any ideas on what to do to hide the elastic straps that are around your waste?

What about using an elastic back supporter? Might not be high enough on the stomach.. but they come in black which would hide a lot.

LoganClaw - Your right, Plastic is plastic, "movie quality" "high impact" are adjectives to feed a narcissistic need. Unless your using Torlon Plastic (at over $1,000 per 12 x 24 inch sheet) plastic is just plastic.. besides using anything other then a trash can is like putting carbon fiber in a helmet build, ya its nice and lightweight and you get the bragging rights, but really expensive and not needed for regular everyday costuming needs.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the work out belt idea tossed out there.. that would work too

Last edited:
Ahhaa! I finally see the strategy here.
Paul D.

You're right Paul.

I'm pretty much finished at this point. I'm going to complete the mark V, but I don't think it's going to be before the premier. Maybe the week after. I'm working on another project I'd like to get finished. I feel that at this point everyone should have what they need to finish a Mark V or any other riveted plastic suit. I hadn't planned on making templates for the shins/shoulder bells, but if a need develops for them I can whip some up. You guys are already having better ideas than what i came up with, which is great. I can't wait to see other people's progress.

If anyone has any questions about anything let me know. I'll help you however I can but I'm figuring out how to make this Mark V suit as I go along. :lol

Last edited:
[...]

Anyways.. back on thread.. Fett, sorry to hear that you feel you wont get the time to finish this before the movie. But I think you have given everyone the framework in to which to finish their armors. Once again great job and hope your other project goes well!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back