Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

Once again fantastic work on this. I'll be working on the stomach plating today.. was looking at your ref pics.. nice to see it doesnt look like you're grabbing your crotch like another animation that I've seen on here :lol

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

-Jay

Oh man, I might just have to try this before next Friday, seeing as I have no bills for the next two checks, I might just have to make this a reality before it comes out.

As another question, weren't you the guy over at TDH who did something strangely similar with Fett armor?

consider it done .

PICT0053.jpg

PICT0051.jpg

PICT0050.jpg

I thought this was spider man at first. LoL

Oh man, I might just have to try this before next Friday, seeing as I have no bills for the next two checks, I might just have to make this a reality before it comes out.

As another question, weren't you the guy over at TDH who did something strangely similar with Fett armor?

In the first post I outlined the history. A guy smarter than me figured this out a while back on TDH. Lots of people do it now, I did too, but I never posted it on the TDH. My build on the TDH was a sintra build. It was a budget build too, like this one :)

Thanks tk1055 for the new back pic!

Dollar stores seem to always have cheap plastic baseball helmets that you can cut up and use for shoulder armor. I use these all of the time. A few of these cut and layered would work perfectly for this armor.

Cut out the bottoms of plastic cups from 7-11 or other stores, add some plastic layering, make cheap perfect circles for your circular joint area to cover up rough cut areas.

I am actually using cut up plastic measuring containers from KMart for $2.99 for the beginning/front chest mini-gun mounting rails of the WM that I am working on. Just some ideas that are tried and true. I have attached a pic of my US War machine to show How I used Baseball helmets for the shoulders.

IMG_3957-1.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

I made this about 4 years ago. The front chest area was made from a cut-up trashcan. Workout roll foam, cheap tap light, Plastic toy odds and ends, $35 helmet modded with plastic toy parts and hot glue, 7-11 cups and foamies for the guants, home depot and coffee creamer bottle for the mini gun. Just showing this to enforce fett's thread to show what can be done with cheap and even free materials.

Paul D.

Last edited:
Wow LOGANCLAW22, that looks awesome. I love budget builds. Don't get me wrong, I'll drop some serious cash on a prop or a costume every now and then but sometimes I think its cool to try and make a nice costume for as cheap as possible.

Great Idea Fetts.Sobriquet!
I love this thread and all that it stands for (sharing the knowledge) and trying to pull off an amazing costume on a budget. I'm all with you on this one, I too think it's cool to try and make something nice for as cheap as possible... The projects I liked the most are the ones I made it a point to recycle leftovers I had from other costume I had already completed.

Well you've inspired me - I'm putting together a tutorial on how I built a pipboy3000 on a budget. Will post it in the prop section when I'm done.

And LOGANCLAW22, that War Machine is awesome!!!

Sorry If this has been asked but what do you do after it is together? just paint on top or bondo? Im not sure if I misssed this but it looks great I really want to do this now!

Wow LOGANCLAW22, that looks awesome. I love budget builds. Don't get me wrong, I'll drop some serious cash on a prop or a costume every now and then but sometimes I think its cool to try and make a nice costume for as cheap as possible.

Here is the update on my baller in a budget build. Please note this was a test fit. I have to change my Cod piece and paint more areas. Thanks.

25526_1395893371611_1060511111_1215514_6487378_n.jpg

25446_1395895411662_1060511111_1215518_6539402_n.jpg

Keep up with the work...

Logan and Paul... Thats some intresting Warmachines :)

TMP,

My War machine is the U.S. War Machine version by Chuck Austen from the Comics. Maybe why it is so interesting. I'd like to think that it is a fairly good likeness. Thanks.

9.jpg

Paul D.

OK, I know this is late. I've seem to never give an accurate prop related completion date and this is no exception.

I'd just like to say that you guys have been great and this was a fun project.

I'd like to once again point out that this project was strictly to outline a method of making Iron Man armor out of a trashcan or 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever. :)

This was a quickly executed project to get this information out there. This is not my definitive Iron Man project and you won't see me walking around downtown wearing it or entering every costume contest with it. I won't be doing any more plastic sheet riveted Iron Man costumes. It is, however, a very fun build that yields good results. You can have a lot of fun with this method beyond Iron man.

Although I provided you with the same templates I used to make this tutorial, they are by no means the best templates. They have a lot of room for improvident. If you tackle this project, put serious consideration into modifying the templates in part or in whole to fit your needs. The way I went about making this suit is not the best way, but it will get you there.

This project was first and foremost about showing you what can be done with a riveted plastic trashcan.

There was a myth that some people didn't use this method already and this was also an experiment to test that claim.

At this point I'm going to have to call this method plausible. It certainly seems like you can build one of those plastic riveted Iron man suits out of a trashcan. It is a cheap, and usable source of plastic that holds up to being shaped with a heat gun and riveted. It's also light and soft so it doesn't cut your skin.

So, that said, in my opinion this myth is busted...if you'll forgive the reference.

I called plastic supplier after plastic supplier. Regional, National, and international trying to find High Impact Urethane in sheet form for my next build but it doesn't seem to exist in sheet form. You can buy polyurethane sheet, but polyurethane sheet is not the same as High Impact Urethane.

Back to the tutorial:
It was at this point I ran out of trashcan. I had to go get two more trashcans to finish the project. I got white ones this time.

All the templates are not finished for the back but as soon as I get them finished I'll send them your way.

First I had to shorten up the front collar and I attached it to the main back plate.

Then I attached the back wing and the two back plates.
You can see at the top where they are attached. At this point I have not uploaded the main back plate template.

Test fit:
2098-04-21-Mark-V-Back-001.jpg

You will need to put a buckle of some kind between the two back plates. This is how you will put on the chest/back part and adjust it's tightness.

You will also need to put some velcro on the back of the back plates to attach them to the main back plate.

2098-04-21-Mark-V-Back-002.jpg

They aren't in this picture but you'll need to cut 4 more form abdominal plates and attach them to the back of the elastic straps holding the abdominal plates in place. This will form the lower back section. I don't have them pictured here.

For the thigh section; cut the three inner thigh plates, three front thigh plates, and four outer thigh plates. At this point you should be getting pretty good at figuring out how to line plates up and at riveting them. So rivet together your thigh plates. For the back of the thigh, cut out three more front thigh plates and, after test fitting the thigh, mark the plates and use them to form the back of the thigh.

Thigh:
2098-04-21-Mark-V-painted-017.jpg

Please for give the DC comic shirt I have on, its my only red t-shirt. Here is what I have thus far:
the paint I used is rattle can red krylon fusion and rustoleum chrome.
2098-04-21-Mark-V-painted-013.jpg

2098-04-21-Mark-V-painted-015.jpg

2098-04-21-Mark-V-painted-016.jpg

Now, let's take a moment to talk about codpieces.....

I'm not making a template for the codpiece. I tried, but the variation in waist size an butt size is just too much to account for.

Fortunately, the codpiece is not hard to freehand. I ran out of trashcan here, so I used a scrap piece of plastic to make this.

2098-04-21-Mark-V-painted-005.jpg

2098-04-21-Mark-V-painted-006.jpg

2098-04-21-Mark-V-painted-007.jpg

2098-04-21-Mark-V-painted-008.jpg

Measure your waist in costume... as in how big do you want the codpiece.

Free hand the butt section and extend out so that the codpiece wraps around your butt and your waist and meets in front of you like a belt. Then make the actual codpiece. I made it with a bend that banana hammocks its self toward my nether reigns. It's sounds awkward but it works.

So, here is your first no template part. Have fun.

While were on the subject, I have no plans to make the shin templates or shoulder bell templates.

I feel like you have enough skill and creativity to make these parts on your own. By now you are probably very used to cutting and riveting plastic and you probably have a million ideas about how to go about this or that. So, making the shin/knee templates and shoulder bells seems a little redundant.

If you want ideas, several people have mentioned that you can make shoulder bells by buying cheap kids batting helmets and cutting them up. i know walmart sells these.

Anyway. I'm here if you have any questions.
:cheers

Last edited:
There is no tread on the tread breast plates because I took it off to remake it based on the templates and forgot to put it back on before I painted it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back