ESB Star Destroyer

styreneguy

Hi- new to the forum- thought I'd share an in-progress ESB Star Destroyer I've been working on since 2009. I was inspired after looking at the awesome work done at the Star Destroyer Project. It was the first time I tried a scratch build, so I spent a lot of time planning it out & making mistakes. Here's the latest so far:

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1409.jpg

I'll post some of the build pictures soon.

Thanks for the kind words. She measures just shy of 36'. I was aiming for "about" that size since I thought it'd be easier to detail. Plus, if you're going to build a star destroyer, you need to go big.

Began with a balsa/basswood frame and did the lower hull/large hangar bay.

DSC_0614.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

DSC_0383.JPG

Tried my hand at some resin casting for the side trenches- learned the hard way not to cast them too thick since I'd have to drill so many holes for the fiber optics.

DSC_0392.JPG

Also thought it made sense to add a little side hangar bay on the rear-most indents on the trench. I built out the little ships & then realized I didn't make the door big enough for them to fly out!

DSC_0625.JPG

DSC_0361.JPG

In hindsight, and after seeing other Star Destroyer builds, I probably didn't add enough detail to the bottom. But I'm happy with it as a first try.

I'll post some of the topside build pix next.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back