Doctor Who Tennant suit fabric reweave

So has anyone got their blue suit yet, or had a suit made from blue material? I know that pictures always look different under different lights, so i'd be interested to see what the suit looks like in daylight, etc. And the same with the brown material.

As some people have said that the material is darker than you think i'd like to see what they look like.

Someone on Gallifrey Base just had a Magnoli Suit made in the blue and while he seems generally happy withthe suit he was disappointed to see how light the blue color on the fabric was, not knowing til it was too late that to really get screen accuracy the fabric needs to be overdyed again in a darker shade of blue for value and to give it that 'light glaze' effect.

So has anyone got their blue suit yet, or had a suit made from blue material? I know that pictures always look different under different lights, so i'd be interested to see what the suit looks like in daylight, etc. And the same with the brown material.

As some people have said that the material is darker than you think i'd like to see what they look like.

I have one, I can take pics if you like.

Here is a suit in the new blue fabric:

extra-image-958.jpg

Kind regards,
Indy

Yeah, Dave, that would be good thanks.

From what i've read the brown material is darker than you think but completely accurate to the original (which looks lighter on camera). The blue, however, is apparently as light as the original shirting material and needs dying to the accurate colour (which again is a lot darker than you think). This dyeing also apparently adds the 'sheen' the blue suit is know for.

Once again Magnoli has produced two amazing products - i look forward to the next product he releases (either some more Tennant ties or the PS shirt...well, both really). :thumbsup

Im curious because my blue fabric isnt all that light and is dark to begin with. Im waiting for some of the others that have done the hardcore research to chime in

I wonder if you can dye a finished suit?
Anyway, it's supposed to snow tomorrow, so i can kill two birds with one stone and get some snow pics with the suit.

The blue fabric is the correct color, have a look at Risu's original post that started this thread. Also, here is the Risu's comparison of the finished blue fabric to the undyed swatch he has:

DSC01340.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

I can't speak much personally for the blue fabric as I'm less interested in that varient and have never handled the original swatches. My information on this (Magnoli Blue vs original blue fabric) primarily comes from this post on the subject from someone who recently bought 5 yards:

dw_cosplay: Magnoli Blue Fabric vs. The Real Stuff

Perhaps this OP got an early batch of reweave fabric that was mistakenly not overdyed? Regardless FYI.

I can't speak much personally for the blue fabric as I'm less interested in that varient and have never handled the original swatches. My information on this (Magnoli Blue vs original blue fabric) primarily comes from this post on the subject from someone who recently bought 5 yards:

dw_cosplay: Magnoli Blue Fabric vs. The Real Stuff

Perhaps this OP got an early batch of reweave fabric that was mistakenly not overdyed? Regardless FYI.

Yes, sorry Magnoli, this is where i got my information from too. I would actually prefer the suit darker than it looks on film, i.e. the colour your material is, as i think it stands out less than the brown suit does and can be worn as fairly casual office attire (or even just the pants with a shirt and tie).

I've always thought that the brown version would be easier to get away with than the blue (usual blue suits are very dark).

As for dying a finished suit, that would work absolutely fine since the cotton shell would take the dye as expected, while the satin lining, etc would be much less sensitive to the coloring.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Well i just think that the dark red contrasts with the blue less than the light blue does with the brown. Don't know why but i just think that the blue suit looks more modern, and the brown one is old and outdated - maybe it's just 'cos he wore the brown one forever and the blue one a bit less frequently.

But this is why the dyeing would be a good idea - it allows you to achieve a more 'acceptable' colour, i.e. one that wouldn't stand out too much in an everyday office. Although this isn't as accurate, it's good for people like me who just also the style and colour of the suit rather than the fact that The Doctor wore it.

Still, this is all talk 'cos i haven't actually seen either suit/material in person (even all of the alternatives), so don't know if i would have the same opinions if i saw it in person. This is the only thing really stopping me from buying either suit (but i do own a nice brown pinstripe suit, which i wore to my graduation with a light blue shirt and Swirly tie - quite nice if i do say so myself!).

And Dave, you taken those pictures yet?

Here we go, friends. This is in daylight, the suit tends to look a lot darker when its, well, i won't finish that thought, but trust me, it's true. It's lighter blue by day, navy almost by night.

P1010352.jpg

P1010351.jpg

Got my Baron Boutique Brown suit in with Magnoli fabric! Some teasers as My wife is sick and hard to get decent full body pictures!

This fabric is darn well perfect!

IMG_4147.jpg

Colour chameleon just like the orginal!

IMG_4150.jpg

And apologies for the self shooting!

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

Got my Baron Boutique Brown suit in with Magnoli fabric! Some teasers as My wife is sick and hard to get decent full body pictures!

This fabric is darn well perfect!

IMG_4147.jpg

Colour chameleon just like the orginal!

IMG_4150.jpg

And apologies for the self shooting!

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

Primrodo, that looks fantastic! Do you mind if I ask what price they gave you for the tailoring when supplying your own fabric? In another thread, Risu mentioned that they had given them a different quote than what I got, so I was hoping we could nail down an actual figure.
Thanks!

Looks fantastic Justin! Just like the original!

Can't wait to get my suit from Baron, but sadly my fabric seems to be lost somewhere between here and Nepal :(

They told me they're making mine as I type this, I can't WAIT to get it! It looks just plain amazing! How did the final alterations work out? Is the collar and breach done correctly?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back