Doctor Who Original The Doctor costumes

Thanks for the Pertwee quote on his costume. I was thinking maybe the black jacket now in the Doctor Who Experience was worn by Jon in early photos but not used in the series. It isn't the one in the Radio Times photos though so Jon's claim that the jacket was "worn for The Doc back in 69" looks plain wrong.

I reckon the black jacket in the DWE could be the one Jon Pertwee wore at the 1983 Doctor Who Celebration at Longleat. Any half decent photos could confirm it, damned if I can find one though. :rolleyes

Hi All

I was just looking through this site and thought I would add some information.

I have been a long time collector of Who costumes and props and worked extensively with Producer John Nathan-Turner. In no way do I want this to sound like a brag but I have a number of original costume pieces which were either gifted to me from friends who worked on the series, or traded.

These include...

Jon Pertwee

The Original TARDIS key that was sold with his Planet of the Daleks jacket in the 1990s.

Trousers from The Five Doctors although they may have been used as far back as The Three Doctors. Very distinctive cut to the bottom of the trousers.

Please note Jon's First season costume was made by Arthur Davey and designed by Christine Rawlins. The jacket was dark blue and not black. Jon embellished many of his stories about the series and has actually quite upset Christine who devised the look.

Tom Baker

I also own Tom's Green Herbert Johnson hat first seen in Brain of Morbius, his boots from Face of Evil, Harvie and Hudson shirt and waistcoat from Krull, Armageddon Factor etc.

Of the Season 18 June Hudson costume I have the hat (Herbert Johnson again), shirt, socks and shoes. The scarf I have was made by Roger Oldhampstead's mother who made the originals to original pattern. I have known June for over thirty years.

Colin Baker Costume

I know costume designer Pat Godfrey very well.

Pat had two costumes made initially and the third coat was made for the trial season. This coat was not made for the beach sequence at all it was made between seasons for Colin. I own this coat which came from Colin's personal collection. The collars of the three coats make them easy to distinguish. I recently had the opportunity to compare one of the original two with the trial coat. The cut and construction is identical but the pattern was scaled up as Colin was a little bigger! All Colin's coats were made by Arthur Davey.

I also have first season shirt, waistcoat (Without tails) and trousers.

Sylvester McCoy

I have owned a number of original parts of Sylvester's costume but these are now in private hands. I still have the hat worn by Tipp Tipping and some hankies that JNT kept.

Doctor Who Experience

The Colin Baker costume is not the original but was made by Clothears.

The Pertwee jacket was sold by Pertwee at an American Convention. It was not screen used and caused an argument between Pertwee and JNT!!

The McGann costume is also a re-make. There is some rather dubious stuff in the display but I am not going to sling any mud!!

Obviously all the new series stuff has come from BBC stock.

I was going to offer some original bits and bobs to the museum but I am not prepared to put original stuff on display unless it is behind glass.

Hope this helps. I will try and post some pics if people are interested.

Gray

AKejqtSTV4gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

There is some rather dubious stuff in the display but I am not going to sling any mud!!

I don't know what you mean about 'dubious'. The collection is a mixture of screen used on loan from various collectors and exact replicas.

Thanks, that continues the pattern of the old series Doctors keeping their costumes for a while then selling them. Except Peter Davison who is still hanging on to his. I don't much like the "question mark" era costumes the Davison coat is a fine one though.

Took a browse through Bonhams past auctions and found some of the costumes mentioned in this thread. Here's a picture of the Tom Baker Season 13 & 14 coat from Bonhams site

TomBakerS13-14coat.png

Must confess I would not have realised that was an original coat. Looks very different without a scarf all over it.

Now that is my favourite Baker coat. I saw the Yellow checked waistcoat worn by Nigel Planer in a BBC comedy on acting masterclasses in the early '90's. It was unmistakeable.

Talking of waistcoats, anyone doing a run of the one Baker wore in Talons?

It is often said Jon Pertwee wore his grandfather's old clothes for his first publicity photos as the Doctor and the design of his TV costume came from that. I can't find any photos of Jon that could fit this occasion. When Jon did photos to announce his casting he wore a normal modern suit and in Season 7 publicity photos he wears what looks like his regular TV costume.

JonPertweeandYeti.png

The Doctor's costume became a story in itself years later of course but in 1969 would anyone have given a damn? After the casting photos more photos just to reveal the costume don't seem likely. Is the grandfather's clothes from the attic story no more than a story?

The reason the publicity picture shows Jon in a (then) modern suit was because thats what he was originally going to wear. There was some publicity plurb about this at the time & repeated, I think. in one of the DWM mags overview of the Pertwee era. Dont know how this changed & at what stage, but interesting that the costume looked just like the one he wore in the film 'The House That Dripped Blood', which was made around the same time as season 7.

Hi All

I was just looking through this site and thought I would add some information.

I have been a long time collector of Who costumes and props and worked extensively with Producer John Nathan-Turner. In no way do I want this to sound like a brag but I have a number of original costume pieces which were either gifted to me from friends who worked on the series, or traded.

These include...

Jon Pertwee

The Original TARDIS key that was sold with his Planet of the Daleks jacket in the 1990s.

Trousers from The Five Doctors although they may have been used as far back as The Three Doctors. Very distinctive cut to the bottom of the trousers.

Please note Jon's First season costume was made by Arthur Davey and designed by Christine Rawlins. The jacket was dark blue and not black. Jon embellished many of his stories about the series and has actually quite upset Christine who devised the look.

Tom Baker

I also own Tom's Green Herbert Johnson hat first seen in Brain of Morbius, his boots from Face of Evil, Harvie and Hudson shirt and waistcoat from Krull, Armageddon Factor etc.

Of the Season 18 June Hudson costume I have the hat (Herbert Johnson again), shirt, socks and shoes. The scarf I have was made by Roger Oldhampstead's mother who made the originals to original pattern. I have known June for over thirty years.

Colin Baker Costume

I know costume designer Pat Godfrey very well.

Pat had two costumes made initially and the third coat was made for the trial season. This coat was not made for the beach sequence at all it was made between seasons for Colin. I own this coat which came from Colin's personal collection. The collars of the three coats make them easy to distinguish. I recently had the opportunity to compare one of the original two with the trial coat. The cut and construction is identical but the pattern was scaled up as Colin was a little bigger! All Colin's coats were made by Arthur Davey.

I also have first season shirt, waistcoat (Without tails) and trousers.

Sylvester McCoy

I have owned a number of original parts of Sylvester's costume but these are now in private hands. I still have the hat worn by Tipp Tipping and some hankies that JNT kept.

Doctor Who Experience

The Colin Baker costume is not the original but was made by Clothears.

The Pertwee jacket was sold by Pertwee at an American Convention. It was not screen used and caused an argument between Pertwee and JNT!!

The McGann costume is also a re-make. There is some rather dubious stuff in the display but I am not going to sling any mud!!

Obviously all the new series stuff has come from BBC stock.

I was going to offer some original bits and bobs to the museum but I am not prepared to put original stuff on display unless it is behind glass.

Hope this helps. I will try and post some pics if people are interested.

Gray

Thanks for that Gray, those are all wonderful items and any photos would be welcome. I saw the Doctor Who Experience in London and would have liked to see more original items included. But the presentation is not like a museum with glass cases so as you say its not safe for valuable items on loan. I read that the DWE reopens in new expanded premises soon for a five year run. Maybe at some point a little museum quality section could be included somewhere? With Tom's hat in it. :cool

It does sound like Jon Pertwee was someone who wouldn't let facts get in the way of a good story. No surprise the costume designer was miffed because his version of events makes her sound useless.

The earliest appearance of the DWE black jacket that I found is the famous Longleat convention of 1983. Photo not brilliant but the trim on cuffs and down the front is just visible.

PertweeDavisonLongleat1983.jpg

I found a curious tale which fills in some backstory on the jacket at jonpertwee.com of all places. Despite the name it is not an official or in depth site about Jon, just one fans memories of him. In short what happened is this.

Jon put the jacket into an auction at Bonhams in 1994 where it was described as the Doctor's jacket from Planet of the Spiders.

The jacket sold for £1550 but the buyer returned it shortly after when he realised that it was not the Spiders jacket.

By the end of the year Jon had sold the jacket to a fan at a convention in Chicago and now it was described as worn in 1969.

TBH it does look that Mr Pertwee was full of it. :confused

The costume from The House That Dripped Blood is very Doctorish. I think Pertwee made that film in 1970 between Seasons 7 and 8 if so it would not have directly affected the Third Doctor costume. But I guess he might have had the script in 1969 and since his segment of the film is even titled The Cloak it could have sowed a seed about what he would like to wear? Pertwee was a replacement when Vincent Price could not take part so would he have even had a script a year in advance of filming? There's a question for the horror film fans. :confused

Last edited:
Posted this in the Davison coat thread too, but I was at the Exhibition last month.

I'd imagined the 5th doctor coat would be a completely smooth material, but up close, it had a rougher weave. Wasn't able to get a really good close up shot but the coat has a real texture to it.

Posted this in the Davison coat thread too, but I was at the Exhibition last month.

I'd imagined the 5th doctor coat would be a completely smooth material, but up close, it had a rougher weave. Wasn't able to get a really good close up shot but the coat has a real texture to it.

The 5th Doctor coat did always look very smooth on tv. Tv of that era was only about 600 pixels high and must have smoothed out the details in everything we saw. Useful for hiding cheapness of props and sets!

This is the costume arriving at the Cardiff venue. Looks very smooth.
doctor-who-experience-cardiff1.jpg

The Doctor himself admires the costume. Much higher resolution and it still looks smooth.
PeterDavisonandcostume.jpg

Close up of the material. Not so smooth after all.
5thDoctorcoatmaterial.jpg

If anyone's wondering about the season 18 scarves, here's a brief descriptions of their history and where they are now:
There were 4 made out of Sirdar Aran weight chenille.
Lets call them scarves A-D;
The "A" scarf used in "The leisure hive", and a few other stories. It was ripped up by some blonde guy in after Tom killed himself.
The "B" scarf was used in publicity shots, no word from it's whereabouts...
The "C" scarf was stolen. That's it.
The "D" scarf was used in Meglos and later became the scarf that was on display in Madame Tussaud's.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back