Doctor Who Original The Doctor costumes

I also remember reading somewhere that half of Tom Baker's costumes came from his own wardrobe.
I took that as meaning half of the Tom costumes which exist now came from Tom after he left the series, did you actually mean he was wearing his own clothes as his costume while still in the series?

I had heard this as a rumor as well mainly for elements of Tom Baker's Season 12 costume - they they came directly form his personal wardrobe and were not 'costumed' but it's hogwash - I repeat again from above: "I did ask Tom about his costumes directly once and he denied that any of his costumes (even from Season 12) came from his personal wardrobe. He said it was all sourced through the BBC at fittings with James Acheson and the later designers. Although I certainly think he might have still held on to favorite pieces which might have still been sold on later. "

Sorry for that. I feel kinda dumb for perpetuating a rumor.

Hey its helped the discussion along because bringing the rumour out into the open means it could be caught and killed! :behave

Back on the Experience costumes I don't think the BBCs Sixth Doctor coat is original either.

SixthDoctorExperienceReplicaCoat.png

I've looked at pictures from all Colin's stories and I can't find him wearing a coat that matches it. I guess the three coats that were made must all be in private hands now because if the BBC had one they would surely use it wouldn't they?

This thinking applies to the Pertwee jackets. If the BBC has a Pertwee original then where is it? Why spend £4000 to buy this black jacket [NOT worn in the series] if they have one already?

ThirdDoctorExperienceJacket.png

Good to see they made an effort to put an authentic costume together. Maybe the buyer thought they were getting an original back into the BBC store. Full marks for effort not so many for the result. :facepalm

It's a kind of 'open' secret that a lot of what's on display for the Classic Doctor's are replicas. The big deal topic when it opened was how the 6th Doctor coat is clearly a Cloth Ears replica though they usually deny this. Using the Pertwee convention jacket vs an on screen one also feeds into this. Tom Baker's scarf was also always a Replica - though they swapped out to a better replica early on.

This decision came from the fact that these costume are not only on display to larger crowds then before but done so *without* ropes or any kind of barrier (glass/railings etc) between the observer and the items. Because of the greater chance of the costumes being stolen or damaged there were more replicas used then originals (though some still are originals). That's why this was done. As far as I know the BBC DO have an original of Pertwee and Colin's coats, but prefer to have them in safe keeping. Personally, I can't blame them.

The McGann costume at the Experience is the most obvious example of a 100% replica (the BBC did not own the original at the time the Experience was mounting up so that was their only option).

It is good to hear the BBC are taking special care with certain pieces. That isn't the reputation they have for care of props and costumes in the past and it is a change for the better. Someone must have realised that an original Doctor costume is a part of TV history and needs to be valued as such. Even though they are hidden now the BBC still owning them means they could go on public show again sometime [unlike when private buyers get hold of costumes and they are never seen again].

The Pertwee jacket they have must be the Curse of Peladon/Three Doctors one. Pertwee took some jackets with him when he left but that one reappears in the series [in Masque of Mandragora and Time and the Rani and maybe others?]. It has also been on exhibition since then.

JonPertwee3DoctorsJacketLlangollen1994.jpg

This picture is from the Llangollen exhibition which was open in the 1990s - 2000s. The BBC keeping that one does bring back the question of how many of each jacket were made. This is Jon at a convention in 1983.

JonPertwee3DoctorsJacket21983.png

JonPertwee3DoctorsJacket11983.png

Jon had a Three Doctors jacket too then by the look of it. Without asking whoever made them I doubt we can ever know how many there were of each jacket. Jon sold off all his jackets so this one will now be in a fan collection somewhere like the purple Planet of the Daleks and green Carnival of Monsters/Time Warrior jackets. Just how many jackets did Jon keep? Here he is in 1977.

JonPertweeGreenDeathJacket1977.png

The Green Death jacket must be out there in a private collection somewhere too. If the Three Doctors jacket is duplicated then thats at least five original Third Doctor jackets still surviving.

Rust red, stand up collar - BBC
Rust red, stand up collar - private owner
Green - private owner
Purple - private owner
Blue, red trim - private owner

That does leave two often worn jackets [one black and one red] from his first few years unaccounted for plus three of the single use jackets from his final season [blue, green, black].

It's a kind of 'open' secret that a lot of what's on display for the Classic Doctor's are replicas. The big deal topic when it opened was how the 6th Doctor coat is clearly a Cloth Ears replica though they usually deny this.

This might not be the time to bring this up, but what's happening with them? Is this a "new" comission? Their replicas are amazing and I would love it if the Who fan community could build bridges back with them.

Cloth Ears left the Dr. Who Cosplay scene in June of 2009. We tried many times to bring them back but they are having none of it. Shame as they had just made a stunning replica of the Season 18 4th Doctor costume but never had the chance to take commissions. I think they still have this prototype and have not sold it on.

While I won't rule out the idea Cloth Ears came out of retirement to do one last Six Coat for the exhibition, it makes far more sense that the BBC tracked one down of the 12 or so I know that were made or that someone on the staff already owned one (like the replica scarves used which I know was the case) and simply loaned out it's use to avoid any damages to the real one.

But I've asked and I know several others who have asked, even after a petition they have refused to come back to Dr. Who replicas. Bascially the experience they had in '09 soured them on the whole thing. They are a small 2 man operation and don't want to risk the wrath of the BBC legal dept.

While I won't rule out the idea Cloth Ears came out of retirement to do one last Six Coat for the exhibition, it makes far more sense that the BBC tracked one down of the 12 or so I know that were made or that someone on the staff already owned one (like the replica scarves used which I know was the case) and simply loaned out it's use to avoid any damages to the real one.

I read that Colin Baker himself has one. If he got one for doing conventions and signings maybe not likely to send it out on extended loan though. Anyone seen him wearing it in the last 18 months?

I have an original Sylvester McCoy costume hankerchief, red paisley, with beautiful intricate design. Mine is signed by McCoy and comes from a friend of Nathan-Turners. Design is picked out in blue. Was told that it was used in wardrobe tests and possibly screen used in first season stories, until they settled on the red/green variety! My fave item I think, always wanted a part of Drs costume. They used a cut-down hankerchief for the hatbands

I have an original Sylvester McCoy costume hankerchief, red paisley, with beautiful intricate design. Mine is signed by McCoy and comes from a friend of Nathan-Turners. Design is picked out in blue. Was told that it was used in wardrobe tests and possibly screen used in first season stories, until they settled on the red/green variety! My fave item I think, always wanted a part of Drs costume. They used a cut-down hankerchief for the hatbands
Come on, you have to include pictures with a post like that. :D

Colin does have a Cloth Ears Coat (I think he was their 1st or 2nd customer for this!) which he uses for appearances even today. I'm fairly certain the one at the DW Experience is not his.

It is often said Jon Pertwee wore his grandfather's old clothes for his first publicity photos as the Doctor and the design of his TV costume came from that. I can't find any photos of Jon that could fit this occasion. When Jon did photos to announce his casting he wore a normal modern suit and in Season 7 publicity photos he wears what looks like his regular TV costume.

JonPertweeandYeti.png

The Doctor's costume became a story in itself years later of course but in 1969 would anyone have given a damn? After the casting photos more photos just to reveal the costume don't seem likely. Is the grandfather's clothes from the attic story no more than a story?

Got it! 5 minutes into Part 4! Front Page of Radio Times shoot; he raided his wardrobe of leftovers from shows and so forth. The Cape/Cloak was his Grandfather's but the rest was either from pantomime or fashionable things from the time.

I'd love for the velvet smoking jackets to come back in fashion.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back