Dexter costume

I just got my Diesel boots in.

DSC01921.jpg

Looking at them up close it became very obvious to me that mocha bisque is not the correct color. The older, discontinued "Seal Brown" was. The most telling feature is the laces. These match the leather color, whereas the seal brown's laces were dark brown. No worries though,. a little boot polish and some brown Rit dye and they'll be right as rain. Now for those pants.

I'm not so sure Seal Brown is the correct color either. From the photos I've seen online they have too much of a "reddish" hue but, as we've seen here, online photos can be deceptive. Still, I think it's more likely the wardrobe department started with a pair of Mocha Bisque boots and weathered them with dyes and such to make it appear as though Dexter has been wearing them for years.

Also, if you look at the large photo in post #101, Dexter's laces are gray, not brown.

As for the pants, we may have that solved. There was some discussion about them in the Dexter's Kill Tools thread (http://www.therpf.com/f9/dexters-kill-tools-107469/index21.html post #503) and we believe the Season 1 and first half of Season 2 pants are Lucky Brand cotton cargo pants. The pants from the second half of Season 2 and each subsequent season (and the ones Hall is wearing in the large photo in post #101) are, unfortunately, a discontinued style called "Raff Elwood" and manufactured by a company called G-Star.

I've been following it.

The pictures in the S1 publicity image are the seal brown boots. I'm 100% sure of it. You don't have to believe me. What I do know is that the mocha bisque boots are the color you get from one pass of range tan leather dye over tooling leather. It's a slightly reddish yellow and looks nothing like the screen used boots. I've been recoloring my boots all night, and to get that uneven color it takes hours. The costuming department wouldn't have gone to the trouble to recolor all of their boots in such a painstaking way when they could just buy them that way to begin with.

Grey, dark brown; they're really dark laces, not the yellow ones that come with the bisque boots.

I just got mine in the mail today as well. I'm not sure how I feel about the Seal Brown being the correct color. I'm going to agree with Zombie 61 on the "reddish" hue. Either way, that is an easy fix. Now I just need to get some new laces!

IMG00448-20110318-2342.jpg

IMG00445-20110318-2340.jpg

The pictures in the S1 publicity image are the seal brown boots. I'm 100% sure of it. You don't have to believe me. What I do know is that the mocha bisque boots are the color you get from one pass of range tan leather dye over tooling leather. It's a slightly reddish yellow and looks nothing like the screen used boots. I've been recoloring my boots all night, and to get that uneven color it takes hours. The costuming department wouldn't have gone to the trouble to recolor all of their boots in such a painstaking way when they could just buy them that way to begin with.
No, you're probably right, and I apologize to anyone and everyone that I've misled by stating they were the Mocha Bisque color.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to find out the color of the actual boots was the result of the wardrobe department's labor. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but for some productions these people spend incredible amounts of time creating numerous identical copies of the same wardrobe for a given actor, often from scratch, then distressing and/or weathering them to the point where sometimes they're nearly destroyed, all for the sole purpose of getting the "look" right. Hand dye a dozen pair of boots? All in a day's work.

I have no doubt that they beat them up and then treated them with something, most likely neatsfoot oil or a similar compound to break them in and give them a less even color, specifically for the publicity shots, but I don't think they actually dyed them darker. So far on Dexter they've only ripped off labels and covered up other identifying marks. They have yet to do anything like sew two different pairs of pants together or anything like that.

Also, I should have mentioned that these boots have been around for a few seasons now, but the bisque color is a new one. When they were first released they just had two colors, black and brown. They changed the brown to seal brown, possibly to distinguish it from the bisque when that one came out.

OK, here are a couple pictures of my boots (which I love btw, they've already broken in pretty comfortably after only a day of wearing them, and they're also orthopedic, so that makes the Alden-level money totally worth it.)

One boot dyed, the other untouched:
DSC01925.jpg

And both boots dyed in sunlight:
DSC01934.jpg

In person, the bisque color did look much lighter than it did on the product page. Unfortunately, because of the finish on the boots, there was no way to completely change their color. Fellow Alden owners who have ever tried to correct that stupid brick-red color will know what I mean. The shoe polish and leather highlight I used on these don't soak in all the way, so as the boot wears I'll have to keep reapplying it. If I had used dye, the color would have been uniform and much too dark, I thought this was the better option.

The AA henley is my least favorite part. It's embarassingly tight. If I go a size up it'll look all wrong, but as it is I have a bit of a Batman and Robin problem, if you know what I mean.

I wasn't happy with how my boots where fitting, so I decided to drive the 2.5 hours to Chicago (the closest Diesel store to me) to exchange my 12's for 11's. Much better! So the Cassidys are a 1/2 to full size too large. The guy at the store told me they may even be 1.5 sizes too big. So if anyone else is looking, take that into consideration.

Risu, any luck finding mildly correct laces?

I went ahead and ordered two pairs off of Amazon, seller named Feet People. I got brown and charcoal. I'm probably going to end up using charcoal, because I think they'll look like the ones in the opening video (not sure if the boots in the vid are the Cassidy's or just generic brown shoes) once they get dirty. The laces on the S5 boots appear to be the stock mocha bisque laces, though.

Season 5 needs to be released on dvd soon so I can finally see it!

I too am going for the intro laces color. Post up some pics when yours arrive.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back