Delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Robo3687 - IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would post up some pics of my progress to get some opinions.

Note that I will be re-making the mask in thinner foam. This is my first ever build and I'm pretty happy with the result/progress to date but please feel free to comment.

These templates have been a huge help.

Re: Robo3687 - IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

awesome work keep it up quicksilver !

Hello everyone! My name is Ouroboros from Milan, Italy, and I just joined the forum because I started building my own foam suit. This first post is to THANK all of you guys who allow this thread to grow so much. There are so many tips and detail that I am having some difficulties to keep track of all the info I need. Maybe, later at a second stage I will ask something more specific. I have almost assembled the helmet and I am using small neodymium magnets in order to remove the chin so that I can wear it in no time.
I only wanted to know something about the "braces". There is a "torso" piece, the "abs" and it's ok, but what are the braces for? That doesn't connect the other pieces. Are these just a substitute for the torso? Thank you, maybe it's because in Italian the "braces" have a different meaning; they are the elastic bands you wear across the shoulders to keep your trousers up :)

I only wanted to know something about the "braces". There is a "torso" piece, the "abs" and it's ok, but what are the braces for? That doesn't connect the other pieces. Are these just a substitute for the torso? Thank you, maybe it's because in Italian the "braces" have a different meaning; they are the elastic bands you wear across the shoulders to keep your trousers up :)

The use of the brace is shown in this post

http://www.therpf.com/f24/air-force-iron-man-mark-iv-foam-162771/index2.html#post2527575

and possible how to join the three pieces can be seen in this post

http://www.therpf.com/f24/foam-speed-building-filesntricks-added-thor-148889/#post2272293

Some people don't bother with the brace - but for my cardboard build it turns the torso into one complete piece that I can put on like a ballistics vest with velcro on the sides

Thanks for the info, very useful. I think I will try to build the braces, anyway. I am planning to use two different foams, 5 and 10mm, and I'll build the braces with the 5mm one. Velcro is an good idea, but I want to try neodymium magnets as well; there is a reseller near where I work and they are quite affordable.
Hey, Filly, my father in law is Calabrese :)
I will post some pics as soon as I get the helmet done.
I am using both 45° cuts and heat gun to shape the EVA, let's see how it works :)

Please, I need a help. I'm trying to build the gloves starting from the "easy" version found at the top of this thread. Well, the letters on the different pieces are not so clear to understand. The pics seem to show the glove for the right hand, palm facing up, correct? If I follow the scheme of just the drawing I have a result, but it's quite different from the pictures that follow, and if I try to reproduce the actual pictures I have some pieces left unused. I did not want to use the pep files because they look like they need an accurate shaping by heating the foam.
Did anybody actually use that drawing to reproduce the glove?
In which order should I build the glove? It was trickier than the helmet.
Thanks.

hello does any one have the pdo for the handplate ??

Hey Robo (STEALTH)

I'm doing the MK IV of yours in pep and fibreglass/bondo. Is the stomach supposed to be built in separate plates, or all joined together as one solid tube around my midriff?

Last edited:

Hi Stealth,
Can you make an A4 version for Jowe helmet files, becausse it's little when a change to A4 version with pepakura designer and print it

Hey there!

Story Time!

ok so i've got this core group of friends and after watching the Avengers the discussion came up of "out of the core...who is who in the Avengers?". Short story long...I'm Iron Man!

I started thinking...ok if I'm Iron Man I need a proper Iron Man suit. So like any sane person would I start looking online for possible Iron Man suit options. I saw the one from the guy that spent like $7000 and it was all robotic and awesome...Yeah I'm not going to be spending 7 large on a costume, my wife would destroy me. So...the search continued. I found this site that was a hub for people that make ironman suits and...from there I stumbled on this forum.

Dear Lord! Super Special Thanks to Stealth, Robo, Roy, Stevie, Destroyer, hell...all you guys! You are all a huge inspiration and know that I spent easily 4 hours going over this forum yesterday pouring over all the amazing work you guys have done. I couldn't get past the fact that its foam! FOAM! The suits you guys have made are so freakin cool! I love seeing how the various suits have turned out using all these different materials (Read: Foam types).

I will be making an Iron Man suit. I'm at the point now where I'm starting to figure out what kind of foam i want to use and glues, and all the things that go into prepping things like this.

Either way, again...huge thanks for all the templates and the great tutorials and just for being super kind! I can't wait to start showing pictures of my suit.

Yeah, this is going to happen!

Ok Questions:

1. What is the best piece to start building? The head, chest, arms?
2. Do you suggest building out the original design with the cardstock to see if everything fits right? That makes the most sense to me as it would help ensure that things fit right. I wasn't sure if making the entire suit out of cardstock first...or just take the templates for the people who are 5'8" to 6'1" and run with it and trust that it's going to fit. I'm a pretty thin guy and I'm 6' on the nose. I wasn't sure if the proportions were essentially "perfected" by this point.
3. In looking over some of the pictures that people have posted of their finished suits, there seems to be some buckling or deforming in the upper thigh area. Is that due to using thinner foam? Would using thicker foam help to combat the deformations? I'm not sure if that is something that you can get around as things are going to bend.
4. I was thinking that I'd get an "underarmor" type shirt and pants to put under the suit. What do you guys generally use?
5. Any words of wisdom for a guy who just found out that this even existed that could help out?

I have a huge "fear" that I'm going to become that guy that makes suits from now on...so thanks for that :p

- Pork

Ok Questions:

1. What is the best piece to start building? The head, chest, arms?

I have a huge "fear" that I'm going to become that guy that makes suits from now on...so thanks for that :p

- Pork

My only words of advise are keep reading and looking for tips and....:popcorn
Don't start with the helmet. :eek:sick I see folks start with that and they can get unhappy reallllyyy fast. However that said, I have seen people with craft/hobby/prop experience turn out masterful helmets on their first go!:lol No waffling here LOL!

It is much more difficult than it appears and is the focus piece that people will see immediately...:)
Try a starting on a bigger piece as well as the smaller ones can be tricksome as well...:wacko
As far as being hooked....wellll?!?:cry
I'll be frank it seems many start and few finish...I think more builders stick now due to Stealth and JF customs and Dancinfool and ....too many great people to list...but that said, ask lots of "good" questions after reading as much as possible....do try to find your information first by looking through and subscribing to tons of threads. People do seem to get grouchy when asked basic, basic simple questions..:unsure
Im doing Pepakura, fiberglass and composites so dont think I have much to offer on foam....tried it and didnt like it. Welcome and if I can help let me know...especially if you build a War MAchine!:cool

i printed the modded mk 4 chest file stealth without adjusting the scaling and the arc reactor whole looks much too big for the arc reactor you built in your tutorials. (which i havent done yet but it looks bigger than a coffee cup's diameter... the hole is 93mm... is that right or have i made a mistake

I have the file, but I have no idea how to post it in here and I can't find the place of origin on here :p

I printed out the chest pieces and cut out the ring for the ARC reactor. The inside diamater came out to be just under 4 inches. I like Stealth's tutorial on the reactor and decided to modify it a little bit to fit the opening. I eliminated the coffee cup part and plan on haveing no outside housing. I couldn't find anything to use as a mold until I found a can of Girl Scout candy. It measured just over 3 3/4 inches. I then used the lid off of an aerosol can for the inside. I centered the two, drilled a hole and bolted them together. Then I followed Stealth's tutorial and made my ring. I had trouble with the hair dryer/heat gun method and used hot water on the stove. It took just a few minutes and I am happy with the results. Tonight I plan on putting the pieces together after the kids go to bed. If you would like more details, PM me and I can share with you my files and links. I found LED's online for $0.48 each, with fast shipping.

Steath, great tutorial, thanks for sharing you wisdom with us newbies. :lol

does any of u have the .pdo for the hand plate for a mark vi ? i cant find it anywhere, thnx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back