Air Force Iron Man Mark IV Foam Build (NEW UPDATE 11/12)

Re: Air Force Iron Man Mark IV Foam Build

Excuse the crude paint picture. But it illustrates what I meant :lol

The red lines represent the cuts you made when cutting out your piece of foam. If you were joining that piece to another, and making a 45 degree angle cut, as per the left hand side of the picture, then this is fine, as the angle cut takes away more material than you had already cut out. However, if you are making an angle cut to the piece as per the right hand side, you can see it has to 'add' more material than would already be there had you cut out the piece to the red line already.

Hope that makes more sense now!

Thank you for the visual. I understand now. When do you cut your 'convex' angles? In my experience so far, I have only needed to cut concave ones.

You can't flip the 3D model but you can flip the 2D pattern. Once you have Pepakura Designer open with your model, a the top select 2D Pattern Window, then select Flip Pattern. You will have to do some pattern re-arranging to get the parts back on the pages and not overlapping each other but that's the easier way.

You can't flip the 3D model but you can flip the 2D pattern. Once you have Pepakura Designer open with your model, a the top select 2D Pattern Window, then select Flip Pattern. You will have to do some pattern re-arranging to get the parts back on the pages and not overlapping each other but that's the easier way.

I have the free version of Pepakura so I don't think I have that option but I will look once I get home. Also, why would someone print off two seperate templates for the right and left of a part when they could just flip the 2D template to make both sides, unless there is some other reason I am missing?

I just flip my paper templates. When I have to go custom on something I just flip the first piece I cut and trace that.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

yojay- same here. That's the most "Green" way to do it.

Small update: I have some of the back done. This piece is pretty difficult I have to say. That little spine strip took me about an hour last night. I am hoping to get more done tonight since I don't have to work tomorrow and then finishing it up over the weekend.

I need some help from some of the more experienced foam builders. I am currently working on the back piece. Using the pics below as a reference, am I suppose to just lay the longer thin foam strips on top of the spine part (like in far left pic) or do I have to cut each of them like I did to the lower section so that they do not stick out as much (rest of pics).

I hope that made sense.

I made my spine by using your second method, with the angle cuts. But if I were to do it again, I would just but-join like your first method. It gives you better 90 degree angles and is a helluva lot easier!

I made my spine by using your second method, with the angle cuts. But if I were to do it again, I would just but-join like your first method. It gives you better 90 degree angles and is a helluva lot easier!

Well I ended up doing it the first way by shortening every piece that was on the middle spine and I think it came out great. I will post pics of the completed back piece soon. Next up is the neck seal.

Here are the pics of the back section done. It fits me perfectly. Does the top two strips of the back section connect to the top of the chest piece or does it connect to the brace or neck seal somehow?

I don't think mine will connect that way.

Very nice! The top two parts of the back connect to the chest piece, or, if you are building one, the brace. I didnt bother building a brace at all, so I made a couple of connecting pieces to bridge the gap. If you look at some of the front on photos of the chest on my suit youll see what I mean.

Very nice! The top two parts of the back connect to the chest piece, or, if you are building one, the brace. I didnt bother building a brace at all, so I made a couple of connecting pieces to bridge the gap. If you look at some of the front on photos of the chest on my suit youll see what I mean.

Ok. That's what I thought. I am making the brace right now actually. I just finished the neck section and in my opinion, I think it is the best section I have made so far but I will let you guys be the judge of that lol. Pics up soon.

Sooner than I thought, here are the pics of the neck seal section. The paint can in the last pic is to stretch it out a bit since it's a tad small...

Nice job!

Thanks buddy.

Update- Here are pics of the completed brace section. I normally don't see this section on most people's build threads but I decided to make it anyway. I think it's the best way to attach the chest and back section based on fiddling around with it last night. :lol

Just an image on how the brace, collar plates, back and chest fit together properly according to robo's genius, although the movie images maybe different.

attachment.php

and how the whole suit looks ideally.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=119061&stc=1&d=1350286747

Sorry didn't realise how big the pics would be ( i hate scrolling left and right)

Governor- Thanks for the image, it helps a lot. Since I did the brace, I didn't think I needed the collar plates but it looks like I do.

Also, where in robo's templates is that piece that stuck up out of the back of the neck for support? I didn't see it anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can get more pics like the one above that Governor posted on how to assemble Robo's Mark IV suit?

Anddd can someone post a link or post up some high def photos of a Mark IV suit for reference purposes? I did a google image search but nothing good came back.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back