Death Star tiles reference?

Here's my contribution (if it helps), this is a casting of one of the trench tiles, I've included a frame grab of a shot showing its location in the center of frame, the gun barrel tips are right on top of it.

Attachments

• 107085398.iYAQDJ6O.SN_ANH_DeathStar_Tower_05.jpg
    107085398.iYAQDJ6O.SN_ANH_DeathStar_Tower_05.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 501
@ bighead5 - cheers, i've really enjoyed the detective nature of this project so far, and it highlights some of the strange little quirks of the ILM modelshop! just hope I can get the last two modules done sometime soon, but it all depends on reference really.

@FANTAMATION - thanks for the photos I really appreciate the time you've given me, unfortunately those are the smaller tiles ILM made and at the moment I'm only copying the larger ones, but like I said thank you anyway :O)

The module I really need help with is module 3, the one that looks like four columns. I have some photos (see earlier posts) from the disney display, but any more would be ace. Remember I'm after the large 2 feet square module!!!

minifig

Right then friends,

I am gonna have to get going on the last module...module 3.

If anyone has ANY reference for the large 2-foot verion of this module PLEASE help, otherwise I'm gonna have to make things up, which I really don't want to do :O(

Please check in your sheds and garages for the lost photos!!!

Thank you

Minifig

Here are a couple pics...15.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Star_Wars_Large_Death_Star_Piece_8.JPGThis one is from my personal collection :)

- - - Updated - - -

Star_Wars_Large_Death_Star_Piece_1.JPG

Thank you deaddog,

Typically, the pictures of the tile from module 5 (the one you said you have) surfaced just after I had finished my model...and showed a few errors I had made in my guessing!!! They will be corrected the next time I have to re-mould the pattern!!!(although I still can't clearly see the 'half pipe' between the two triangle struts, or the little repeated 'squares' detail at the end of the wall the two triangles are supporting (just to the side of the saturn 5 dome).

Unfortunately, the module 3 photo is of a smaller scale module :O(

Thank you though...I'm always conscious that I sound ungrateful.

M

Any updates on the tiles you're working on? Also, what were the last tiles you finished? Would love to see some pics! Cheers!

The last Module I finished was the 12" version of module 6...There are pictures of it in my 'death star tiles' thread and in my junkyard thread. Although it's not my favourite module, and I had to be quite brutal in the cutting up of it, I think it's one of my best in terms of accuracy.

I just have module 3 to go...which I am desperately trying to get reference together for. I am lucky enough to be off to Disneyworld in the summer, and I'm considering whether I should be a bit cheeky and ask the people in the prop exhibition bit at Hollywood studios if they know what happened to the display that used to be there.

I still can't believe I can't find more photos of that display on the interweb!!!!

M

I'm still on the lookout for more images of the hero (low altitude) module 3. If anyone has anything they don't mind sharing I would be really appreciative.

A complete module was on display at Disneyworld a few years ago, and Rancho Obi-Wan also has a small piece or two.

This is the best photo I have of the complete module, which is pretty good, but difficult to make out in the shadows, and if I have to scratchbuild the kit parts I can't ID I think I might struggle.

Thanks

minifig

I would suggest you buy the Bandai Y-Wing, it comes with that DS tile and the parts are well reproduced and correct. I can ID a huge amount of them from the Bandai part (this tile is an easy one, lot of M23 parts, Ark Royal, Yamato, Panther, Yorktown, Y-Wing, X-Wing and 5' MF castings), and I've check with your pic, I think you can trust Bandai and what they have reproduced.

Good luck.

MonsieurTox - Thanks for your info. I Do have the bandai y-wing, and I agree with you, it is a GREAT reproduction, some of the smaller details have understandably been omitted, but It has helped me confirm a load of kit ID's too.

I still think it would be a really useful tool if we had some kind of 'catalogue' of Sub-assembly castings to browse through, like the kit scans. The Death Star seemed to use lots that must have been hanging around ILM.

To be cheeky...do you recognise the complicated rectangular piece that is in the middle of the 3rd 'finger' (horizontally) and then on the 4th finger (vertically) a bit more to the right? This bit has been driving me crazy, and I cant help but think it might be a sub-assembly used on one of the other models...but I cant seem to find it.

Thanks again

minifig

Last edited by a moderator:
To be cheeky...do you recognise the complicated rectangular piece that is in the middle of the 3rd 'finger' (horizontally) and then on the 4th finger (vertically) a bit more to the right? This bit has been driving me crazy, and I cant help but think it might be a sub-assembly used on one of the other models...but I cant seem to find it.

Thanks again

minifig

Sure,

It's cut from the back of a Y-Wing cockpit casting :

[URL=http://s65.photobucket.com/user/monsieurtox/media/Divers/ycockpitbackplate_zpskxaxinqs.jpg.html][/URL]

Wooop! Wooop!...I wish I would just learn to ask people on here rather than spend years looking through old photos! Thank you SO much.

I take it that that is a composite sub-assembly then?

M

Wooop! Wooop!...I wish I would just learn to ask people on here rather than spend years looking through old photos! Thank you SO much.

I take it that that is a composite sub-assembly then?

M

Yes, the biggest part is a shield from the 25 pounder, other kits used are Tamiya 232, Panzer III M/N (vintage), Monogram Panzer IV, Tamiya Semovente M40 or M13 Carro armato, landing gear from a WWII US Fighter but Im not allowed to say which kit it is :), 1/72 Airfix F4-J, Nichimo Tiger II or Jagdtiger. Those kits are only for the green portion.

Wow... I figured it would be...from the shots I had got it seemed way too complex to be a 'real' thing!

p.s.i tried to PM you but your full up :(

You are a STAR

M

Falk - Yeah that's what I was thinking...at the very least surely the bits in the gap of the 25 pounder shield ( where the gun would pass through) are covered up by where the neck fits? Was this sub-assembly made for a different ship and then used on the y-wing later maybe?

M

Last edited by a moderator:
...So I just looked at photos of the studio scale model and that WHOLE AREA is where the neck attaches...it's no wonder I never spotted it. But why is there detail there? It's even on the Bandai kit!!!!

Perhaps they were thinking it might need to be 'detached' as part of an ejection sequence in the movie... makes sense that the cockpit section could be separated in case of catastrophic damage to the craft...
R/ Robert

...I think I need to trawl the y-wing threads...I cant even understand how people have worked out this sub-assembly!!!...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back