Death Star tiles reference?

minifig

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,

I know the project I'm doing isn't strictly SS, but I thought you guys might have the reference I need! (please move if necessary).

I am after reference photos for the tiles I haven't yet made, these are for modules 3, 4 and 5 below.

I have the pictures from the chronicles, making of Star wars, cinefex 65, and some off the interweb but could do with more before I get going on figuring out the kit bashing.

I have seen that Steve Sansweet has some of the tiles from module 5 as well as a sliver from module 3 but if anyone has any close-ups I would be eternally grateful( well at least for quite a while).

Just so you know, It's the large / low altitude tiles i'm interested in!

I also have a couple of photos from MGM Disney or somewhere, so maybe someone has some more from there?

Hope you can help

Minifig

Here is a good pic of my one:

norm46dcff47dc6bfstarwa.jpg

Thanks all so far,
@Treadwell your pictures of the 12" tile (the one with the R2 strip) helped me out loads when I was doing that tile a while ago, thanks once again! The other 'odd ball' ones are medium altitude ones of tiles I've already done!
@ GKvfx and bigbaddaddyvader, cheers, there does seem to be alot more of the medium and high altitude tiles out there, like the ones that came with the sculpting a galaxy book!!!!

It is your tile bbdv that I'm actually working on at the moment as it's the one I have 'most' reference for (as a low altitude version)

Steve Sansweet has one quarter of that module (5)!!!!!!

minifig

Do the tiles that come with the Sculpting A Galaxy set share any lineage to the original tiles, or are they just recent recreations?

Do the tiles that come with the Sculpting A Galaxy set share any lineage to the original tiles, or are they just recent recreations?

Modern recreations for the book.

Found another one - a low altitude tile that a co-worker (a former STAR WARS ILM'er) took as a souvenir. Was made out of the original foam stuff. Fairly heavy, but considering the size and bulk of the piece, it was reasonable.

Gene

@GKvfx. I fudged my way through doing a smaller version of this module (6?) using shots I took from the London exhibition and the archives book. There are a couple of details I couldn't identify so if you could get me a close up of a certain part of this module ;o)

This is the Disney display:
59642036uCsdmN_ph.jpg

Sorry but I don't know the source of the photo so will remove it if requested.

As you can see they actually had quite a nice selection of tiles but typically I don't have any really good close-ups!!!

As I said I'm starting on module 5 which is the one at the bottom of the display.

I can't believe I'm becoming (have become) such a geek about death star tiles!

minifig

Glad you have become such a geek about ds tiles , your tiles are excellent and just as soon as someone buy's some of my stuff in the jy i'll be fixing you up for the ones i ordered 2 months ago. Have you thought about doing the various gun turrets keeping in scale with your different tiles? Maybe the exhaust port? that would be cool then i could tile a whole wall in this stuff.

Hi minifig,

Just checked my stash of death star pics and found these. They seem to be the tiles in the disney box that you show. Don't know where I got them from. I hope they help!

@ Scott, Thank you so much those pictures are great, and have helped me solve one issue with the basic structure I had, although it has also highlighted another couple of kit parts that need identifying!!!

Please keep 'em coming!!

@jedimaster. Yes thanks I have. Very cool pic and helped me with the tiles i've finished!

minifig

Modern recreations for the book.

Found another one - a low altitude tile that a co-worker (a former STAR WARS ILM'er) took as a souvenir. Was made out of the original foam stuff. Fairly heavy, but considering the size and bulk of the piece, it was reasonable.

Gene

I have the 6 inch mini-version of the tile that Gene posted.
I'll take a pic if it helps.

Cheers modeleers, but it's really the low altitude tiles that I'm copying. It seems like everyone owns a bit of the death star!!!!

whilst were on the subject of module 6 can anyone ID this part for me? its probably about 30-40mm 'long'. I was wondering if it was the rear end of a tank?
componentshot.jpg

minifig

sorry about the quality of the pix

has anyone identified any of the parts on some of the tiles ? I see saturn parts..I like the ones with what looks like the tops of ATAT's on them.

there's also a ton of images to get from the Propstore archives etc.

Last edited:
Of the tiles I've made so far I've been able to ID about 95% of the parts.

Most are widely used on other vehicles and they also seem to use a lot of x-wing sub assemblies.

I'm really desperate now for some reference photos (if any ones got any), otherwise I'm gonna have to start making things up!!!!! ;o)

maybe I sound too needy!!!!

minifig

Woo Hoo, finally ID'd that part for module 6 (post #14) and It looks like my hunch was right!!!!
I cant believe scans of the kits used in star wars are still so hard to find!!!!

minifig

This is a great thread! I love seeing all the old Death Star tile parts and it really makes me appreciate what you've put together, minifig! Excellent work!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back