Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

I've considered trying to replace them with brass, but how do you make those bends?

I'm aware of real world pipe benders, but how do you do them at this scale?

Use solid bar rather than hollow tubes, a small vice could handle it easy.

I've noticed several places where 'pipes' don't reach or 'connect' at one end or the other.

I've considered trying to replace them with brass, but how do you make those bends?

I'm aware of real world pipe benders, but how do you do them at this scale?

I also notice that forward of this same area that the pipe detail that comes up the side and over the top is missing.

I was just looking at photos of the prototype and it's also missing from there.

Needle nose pliers will easily suffice making the bends. Just tape the jaws with masking tape to ensure that you don't mar the finish. Do what zorg suggested and use solid round stock. Do what zorg suggested and use solid round stock. If you can't find brass, copper rod will do as well.

TazMan2000

On rebelscum a post identifies the deago is about 10% bigger than the MF falcon. He posted a pick of the difference. Do the experts concur?
i was of the view that the deago was equal in size perfectly.
anyone else done comparisons?

On rebelscum a post identifies the deago is about 10% bigger than the MF falcon. He posted a pick of the difference. Do the experts concur?

I saw those pics and it looks the same size to me. Others posted similar shots of both the Deago and MR turret together when it first came out and no one ever mentioned them being smaller that I can remember.

006.jpg
Issue 92, some parts set roughly in place for a quick photo so be kind!:D

I have both the Master Replicas and this one and can confirm they are virtually the same size. I've compared the cockpit and mandibles on top of each other and they are the same. This is of course assuming the MR is the correct size. Be careful with photo comparisons due to camera angle, focal length, and perspective.

Well the "blueprint" from the first issue seems to match the DeAgo model quite well, so this may be the base... but like I said, I have no knowledge about it.

Perhaps I should finally clear up my hard drive to make space for the photogrammetry of the 32" falcon... I have taken some shots of it with a 1m ruler at Munich, so it should be possible to determine the absolute size of the original with an accuracy of a few mm. I'll see if I can do it during the next days.

So, would copper be preferred over brass? Does one bend better?

The only place I would want to use tube over rod is on the 'broken' pipes just behind the top starboard mandible.

Some pipes look to be as thick as 2.5mm. Will have to see what I can find.

Copper is softer than brass. I'd use brass, it's less likely to bend when handling the model. But you can easily get copper from electrical installation cables, they come in different dimensions. You just strip the insulation of.

Last edited:
So, would copper be preferred over brass? Does one bend better?

The only place I would want to use tube over rod is on the 'broken' pipes just behind the top starboard mandible.

Some pipes look to be as thick as 2.5mm. Will have to see what I can find.

A well stocked hobby store should carry the K&S Metals brass and copper in various sizes. Copper bends easier, but it is a softer metal and depending on how you hold your MF you 'may' bend the rod. Brass is a bit more stiffer and would be the better choice. Kontherun suggested electrical cable for copper. While that may be a good source, it may not be the correct diameter for the MF, but it may be useful in other scratchbuilding projects.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back