Darth vader force fx lightsaber faded chrome paint on hilt

The grips do use pins/tabs to 'snap' into holes in the saber tube body but there is also glue so removing the grips could break the grips off when trying to remove. Because it's just on that plastic part you can easily mask off the grips and the chrome tube parts and just paint the plastic part with little trouble.

The Molotow chrome paint pens are super easy to use and give lots of control, it's like coloring in a coloring book just stay inside the lines. I've used SpazStix chrome many times and it's awesome but you do have to spray a gloss black first then spray the chrome over top. Because of the grips you hand will probably not come in contact with the repainted surfaces so wear should not be an issue.

My question is why are you using Alcohol to clean your sabers? Better to use a water-based cleaner with an included degreaser instead. Using alcohol over time can dry up plastic and cause it to crack, and you've already seen how it can effect plated/painted parts. Alcohol is not a preferred cleaner if you're wanting to keep your sabers in prime condition long-term.
Thank you so much for the concern sir. I will stop using alcohol from now on. Since you said that it would be dangerous to pry the grips off the hilt, i will go with your suggestion to mask and paint with chrome marker sir. Thank you so much. I just wish that part is real metal (aluminum or real chromed metal) so there would be no fading issues. I will update this thread once i'm done with my chosen process (masking and repainting). Thank you to all of you sirs. You were all such great help for me. I sincerely thank you all.

Thank you so much for the concern sir. I will stop using alcohol from now on. Since you said that it would be dangerous to pry the grips off the hilt, i will go with your suggestion to mask and paint with chrome marker sir. Thank you so much. I just wish that part is real metal (aluminum or real chromed metal) so there would be no fading issues. I will update this thread once i'm done with my chosen process (masking and repainting). Thank you to all of you sirs. You were all such great help for me. I sincerely thank you all.

It is because i clean my lightasabers by a cloth dampen with isopropyl alcohol sir
Well I think I know what happed to your chrome plating on your plastic…

I found that if you want to remove chrome plating from plastic, soak the plated parts in 91-percent isopropyl alcohol for an hour or so; the chrome will bubble up and you can scratch it off with your fingernail, a cotton swab, or other tool.
Even if you are using a weaker % of alcohol and just wiping, I believe that if you have repeated this process a number of times, you have slowly worn away your chrome finish on the plastic.

I myself have never found a need to use anything more than a clean dry soft cotton cloth to clean dust or fingerprints from my hilts.

Good day sirs!
I finally did it with chrome pen. I masked the areas and painted the faded parts with chrome pen. I think the result is awesome. I included some pics. Thank you for all of you who took time to help me. I am sincerely thankful to all of you!

Attachments

• IMG_20230807_160607.jpg
    IMG_20230807_160607.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20230807_160428.jpg
    IMG_20230807_160428.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20230807_160440.jpg
    IMG_20230807_160440.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20230807_160449.jpg
    IMG_20230807_160449.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230807_160504.jpg
    IMG_20230807_160504.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20230807_160643.jpg
    IMG_20230807_160643.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20230807_160625.jpg
    IMG_20230807_160625.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
Just leave it alone is my advice painting with Alclad chrome , chrome pens or rattle cans will not end well it will probably look worse than now keep it or maybe think about selling and buying another one in better condition good luck what ever your decision

Just leave it alone is my advice painting with Alclad chrome , chrome pens or rattle cans will not end well it will probably look worse than now keep it or maybe think about selling and buying another one in better condition good luck what ever your decision
Hello sir. What could be the possible problems that might arise sir? I fully accept the fact the it will dull overtime or when rubbed. But painting it with chrome pen is the least destructive way that i could think of instead of disassembling the grips and have the part electroplated. As i have said before, if there is only a way to disassemble it safely, i would go for it.

Maybe someday when there is a safe way to disassemble the grips i would like to machine a that part made of aluminum or stainless steel. I really love my sabers. All of them are the force fx with removable blade 2010. My vader is the rarest because it is the 2011 UK version. My obiwan and luke are 2010.

Good Day to all!
I have another problem sirs. Does anyone know how to disassemble the 2010 obiwan kenobi force fx lightsaber with removable blade? Mine is not responding anymore even with new batteries. I want to troubleshoot the problem. I attached some photos for your reference. Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

• download (14).jpg
    download (14).jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 43
  • images (27).jpg
    images (27).jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 43
  • images (28).jpg
    images (28).jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 52

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back