MelancholyChair

Hello everyone,

I am currently planning on modifying an Ultimate Works Fisto lightsaber hilt to be more film accurate. Below you can see an image of the actual prop (purple buttons near pommel) as well as the Ultimate Works Fisto (nice closeup image I found online). I am working on finding replacements for the knobs that are a bit taller. However, the main issue I am trying to find a good solution to is bringing down the shininess of the body of the hilt. As you can see in the image of the prop, only the emitter is shiny, while the main body has more of a matte finish. My initial thought was to just mask off the emitter and cover the saber with a matte clear coat. Do any experienced saber enthusiasts and builders know if this will look right up close?

Another thought that I had came from the last Facebook post from Shen Sabers (Log into Facebook) where they showed their Fisto sabers completely shiny. The Shen Sabers hilts were supposed to have that matte finish on the body. The post says they were preparing to go into an anodized bath. Is this another method for creating the effect that will look better than just a clear coat? After googling it, I seem to really only see it being used as a way to color aluminum.

Any advice regarding my best course of action on this project is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 114
  • u415338322.8.jpg
    u415338322.8.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 81
Only way to bring down shininess is sanding or blasting. A high grit wet sand would dull it down with a natural looking weather. The higher the grit, the less you'll see scratches.

Testors Dullcote clear lacquer is perfect for approximating that painted resin look on a bare aluminum hilt. Just mask off the areas that should remain polished and spray a couple light coverage coats followed by a medium coat. Make sure you clean and degrease the metal first.

In the picture below the Ki Adi is aluminum and the Maul is the AS resin/aluminum replica:

IMG_9964_crop.JPG

Testors Dullcote clear lacquer is perfect for approximating that painted resin look on a bare aluminum hilt. Just mask off the areas that should remain polished and spray a couple light coverage coats followed by a medium coat. Make sure you clean and degrease the metal first.

In the picture below the Ki Adi is aluminum and the Maul is the AS resin/aluminum replica:

View attachment 1740970
That actually looks really good!

Another route I’d go ask Saberz their method. I’d love to know myself. I have their full episode 1 set, Maul, Quigon and Obiwan, and they have the most accurate finish metal outside of resin casts.

IMG_5800.png

View attachment 1740970
That really is a great effect. Is there a recommended method of cleaning and degreasing sabers? I looked it up and I saw one person just stripping off the finish of the aluminum with easy off oven cleaner.

The oven cleaner should only be necessary when removing an anodized finish from aluminum.

If your saber has a clear anodized finish you may still be able to apply the dullcote over it - sometimes anodized surfaces work with paint but I don’t remember trying that particular combination. Worth a try before going to the trouble and mess of the oven cleaner.

Otherwise dawn dish soap, an old toothbrush, and hot water should be enough to clean the metal.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back