Darth Malgus Costume Finished Pics-Page 8 Vid-Page 9

Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP

The silicone mask and breather mask are actually surprisingly comfortable with no serious heat issues. Put it this way it's not as hot as when i wear my Tarfful wookie costume and about the same heat as doing Vader.

I'm afraid I don't have that link for the gloves anymore but is you do a search on eBay for motorcross gloves there's a whole bunch of them for next to nothing.

Now I have a dead line to work too I have been steaming through this build.
Starting with the belt-
Which basically involved lots of cutting, sanding and trimming.
188ac5326c6632f806a1cd099e59db23.jpg

The trickiest thing was just making sure I got everything glued together in the right order.
f85027acea3d923bec90ba740dc7ef0f.jpg

a57648bd8f4a8ca41c9db909219644d2.jpg

It was then that I tried the belt and the codpiece on.
Big problem!! The diaper was still to voluminous so I decided to bin the first one and knock up a much smaller bikini sized one. It's weird coz Vaders cod that we are all used to seeing is actually quite large, but this one just looked huge( even though it was a good bit smaller than Vaders)
Here's a pic of the belt and cod together. It still looks pretty big but it's not positioned properly yet as I'm wearing my work trousers underneath!
c66ddf1f99527dc74bd41f2cd96a9b98.jpg

The shin grieves and knees are possibly one of the most complicated parts on this build.
Did my usual cardboard templates.
f7b8675f9ff9cd18427d2e97fe2dff33.jpg

Then made a jig out of some sheet aluminium an quick clamps. This is a nice way of getting nice sharply angled edges on the foamex.
Basically I clamp the foamex into position then heat the foamex with a heat gun until its soft. When it is pliable enough I use the Ali sheet to facet the foamex into shape then I rapidly cool it with some ethanol and water mix in a spritzer. Causing it to set instantly into the desired shape.
6b4d1620d769c609da73f059da9b07bb.jpg

Then after much cutting and gluing it starts looking a bit like a shin grieve.
b948ee066f6491e7b5f2fe642bef13c1.jpg

It's amazing how giving it a ghost coat of primer filler really brought it all together.
98f25f00ef86f08020937216c6e6888f.jpg

Then it was into the mould and I cast them in fibreglass.
729c6e6c199ec77e0298111af8c195fd.jpg

I did the same process for the knee armour.
30999334ad01fc38492ddbd7f1034a78.jpg

The calf armour was done by shaping some more 10mm EVA.
Clamping the EVA to the grieves was essential to get the outline looking right.
4df6f7e48a276c6ed03d829d992f6682.jpg

After the Plastidip coating I used super Velcro to fix it into position on the grieves.
Then got all the leg parts together and gave them all a paint job with extensive weathering.
1a28083c5396193c744f7d2bd2f5d37c.jpg

Finally a quick try on to make sure I could actually walk in it all. Lol
da8985148a5d62b7d3233e88beada68e.jpg

0e8bada35338821b486408eb0af738c5.jpg

Thigh armour next, simple stuff by now.
A bit of 10mm EVA heated and shaped then laminated with strips of 5mm EVA.
846c4d747a6dd70f3e189c9bc5edac5b.jpg

Plastidip topcoat and then some 2 inch elastic to hold it in place.
20e444fd527786519950bf21e63c40c8.jpg

Wow, the legs are looking brilliant! Someday I will learn how to do this sort of stuff! ;)

I'm glad I didn't have to be the guy to ask about the kit. Once this Dredd madness is over and I recover financially my plan is to follow this WIP and build a Malgus. Trouble is I'm not anywhere near this talent level. I would need a kit.

I was also going to ask if you were going to offer kits. Your work is amazing so you could no doubt sell enough of these to make it worth your while.

ABSOLUTELY MIND BLOWING! With each new update, I am more AMAZED! You sir are VERY TALENTED!!! I have to say that I'm more than a little JEALOUS of your SKILLS! You INSPIRE me to STRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE in my own endeavors! THANK YOU for being an INSPIRATION! This is now my FAVORITE thread on the RPF!!! I find myself checking for updates multiple times a day! PLEASE continue to update us all with more! I for one CAN'T WAIT to see this build finished, & I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way! I VERY MUCH look forward to seeing you suited up in the full costume soon! Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!:cool

this is super badass! I've been wantin to build a malgus for almost a year, there's not too many bald Star Wars characters this awesome ^_^ fully subscribed!

Wow Vaderjeff, you inspired me even more with that post! Thankyou so much, I'm so glad you like it.

Latest update after the shoot last wednesday. The first FULL try on went better than expected with no major problems rearing their heads. The cape and hood were just temporary and are being finished next weekend thanks to my good friends Annas and Paul(DarthMac) who are coming down for a workshop visit.
Here are a few pics from the shoot.
Malgus FX.jpgMalgus FX 2.jpgMalgus FX 3.jpgMalgus FX 4.jpg
Sorry I couldn't resist jumping on the band wagon and doing a 'Vadering' shot. (Except this is called 'Malgusing!' lol)
Malgus FX 5.jpg
Im still waiting to see the film footage as it was all shot in RAW and proceesing that takes a long time I'm told. Might see a few seconds of a clip by next week. I'll post up a link then.

Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP Finished Pics on Page 8

Wow man this is insanely good!! Where do you get your foamex from? I have bought some before and it didn't heat as well as yours seems to.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back