Could Disney finally give us the remastered, unedited Star Wars we want?

It's value relative to all the other content might be diminished. What if Ep. 7,8,9 turn out to be the best trilogy if the saga? How do we account for the sheer size of the future generation of SW fans currently under the age of 20 who will grow up with more film content then we as a generation ever saw? Will they be clamoring for the original theatrical release of ANH?

If they were raised right, they will! ;)

The new trilogy features the stars of the OT heavily + the OT is likely going to remain at least decent quality to future eyes (compared to the PT) = at least one more generation should care a lot about the OT.

The younger generations also have zero love for bad CGI shots. It was commonplace before they were born. They will have none of the feeling that weak CGI is inherently still higher quality than weak opticals, like moviegoers seemed to have from about 1990-2005.

IMO that factor was cutting the OT SE's a break for a while but it won't in the future. Future generations will look at the weaker shots in the SEs and just see weak 20yo effects instead of weak 40yo effects.

The new trilogy features the stars of the OT heavily + the OT is likely going to remain at least decent quality to future eyes (compared to the PT) = at least one more generation should care a lot about the OT.

The younger generations also have zero love for bad CGI shots. It was commonplace before they were born. They will have none of the feeling that weak CGI is inherently still higher quality than weak opticals, like moviegoers seemed to have from about 1990-2005.

IMO that factor was cutting the OT SE's a break for a while but it won't in the future. Future generations will look at the weaker shots in the SEs and just see weak 20yo effects instead of weak 40yo effects.

Actually we really don't know that. It seems more likely they will feature heavily in just the first film. I find the optical argument specious at best.

Actually we really don't know that. It seems more likely they will feature heavily in just the first film. I find the optical argument specious at best.

I don't expect the OT cast to be getting the kind of screen time they did 30 years ago. But I'm thinking they will remain decent parts of the new movies, like Yoda or Palpatine or Obi-Wan were in the OT. I doubt they will be reduced to cameos after they sell all the tickets the first one.

As for the SFX, I'm not expecting younger kids to have some kind of special affection for old optical effects. I'm only saying that weak CGI won't rank the slightest bit better in their eyes than weak earlier effects, and that may hurt the SEs some. There are a lot of shots in the SE's that aren't aging well, be it the effects or just the content itself.

NO. Move along...

Fans have been grinding on this since the SE DVDs came out in 2004. You got the OOT laserdisc version on DVD with the "bonus disc" re-issue. It's been ten years already. Not gonna happen. But then again, it took 31 years from Jedi to decide to produce episodes 7-9. Okay, you'll get a HD remastered version of the OOT in 2035. Happy now?

Damn it I know I said I wouldn't open this thread again but after a few days its just like a train wreck,I couldn't help but come back and watch. Lol. Anyway......

As for the SFX, I'm not expecting younger kids to have some kind of special affection for old optical effects. I'm only saying that weak CGI won't rank the slightest bit better in their eyes than weak earlier effects, and that may hurt the SEs some. There are a lot of shots in the SE's that aren't aging well, be it the effects or just the content itself.

Speaking for my son who will be 7 in December,he has more a love of how movies were made with models rather than CGI. He even calls some CGI heavy movies "animated" and older model driven movies "real life movies". He sees the same distinction I do. He loves building things with his hands like me. I find when he and I watch behind the scenes stuff on blu-rays his attention doesn't hold when actors are in front of green screens and he gets excited when they show stuff with real stunts and practicle sets and often yells to me "dad dad they did that for real". It even makes some movies more exciting for him in that he knows they really did the filming practically. That's not to mock CGI though as some more recent movies have really blown me away with their realism. Just to say that the younger generation still appreciate practicle stuff. :)

Ben

Star Wars defined so much and changed the movie landscape hugely. It's far from insignificant and I think it goes much deeper than just a movie to most on this board.It's shaped so many peoples lives. For gods sake the original RPF banner was "Star Wars" as default. This site wouldn't be here without it and it is ironic. When people say its insignificant it's just a cheap shot because they can't think of anything else to support they're argument.

Ben

NO. Move along...

Fans have been grinding on this since the SE DVDs came out in 2004. You got the OOT laserdisc version on DVD with the "bonus disc" re-issue. It's been ten years already. Not gonna happen. But then again, it took 31 years from Jedi to decide to produce episodes 7-9. Okay, you'll get a HD remastered version of the OOT in 2035. Happy now?

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

Does remastered, unedited "Star Wars" mean no matte boxes, does it mean no "Episode IV: A New Hope"? There are quite few versions of the original 1977 film, it becomes kind of hard to figure out which folks want... and is a "digital clean-up" or matte lines and stuff like that acceptable?

Does remastered, unedited "Star Wars" mean no matte boxes, does it mean no "Episode IV: A New Hope"? There are quite few versions of the original 1977 film, it becomes kind of hard to figure out which folks want... and is a "digital clean-up" or matte lines and stuff like that acceptable?

Actually, there were no matte boxes visible when Star Wars was released in theaters. The matte boxes are an artifact of transferring the film onto video format. So I would say a digital clean-up to make the film look as it did when released in theaters in 1977 would be acceptable. However, the Episode IV: A New Hope was not in the original release so I would say leave that out.

I just read that 4k Blu-ray specs to be confirmed in the first half of 2015.

See here: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14923

Perfect timing for Fox and Disney, if they start remastering Star Wars for a brand new 4K release now, they might have it ready when this new format begins to hit the marketplace. The master for the SE Blu-rays will now be obsolete since they were done at only 2K. Perfect time to restore and remaster the OOT that so many fans want to see, and they could release the SEs at the same time so people have a choice, it would be a win win for everyone.

Last edited:

I think most would be happy with the film pre 1997 SE, so really the Faces version would be great.....although Harmy has spoiled us by recreating the original cinema version of 77 (with it's many different sound mixes that did it's rounds at that time)

J

I just read that 4k Blu-ray specs to be confirmed in the first half of 2015.

See here: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14923

Perfect timing for Fox and Disney, if they start remastering Star Wars for a brand new 4K release now, they might have it ready when this new format begins to hit the marketplace. The master for the SE Blu-rays will now be obsolete since they were done at only 2K. Perfect time to restore and remaster the OOT that so many fans want to see, and they could release the SEs at the same time so people have a choice, it would be a win win for everyone.

The news that the films were being remastered has been a hot topic on the Original Trilogy.com since July
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/4K-restoration-on-Star-Wars-Official/topic/16857/page/1/

It seems that theres videos on the Reliance Media Works site (previously Lowry Digital) that shows frames cleaned up without the crushed blacks & the incorrect colour timings..... and mentions that its a 4K scan
http://www.rmwusa.com
https://vimeo.com/95919913

It seams that this scan & clean up had been done for the 3D release,...which at the moment is shelved

The question is...what about the SE insertions,....where they to be redone for the 3D?

J

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back