CCX remodeling ! into X-WING RED2

Thank you! Jason!:love
BTW, your BLUE1 is awesome!
It's a work of art.
And, yes!, your studio scale decal!
I purchased it from you several month ago, it's awesome too! Impressive, most impressive!
Anyway, thank you for your comment.:thumbsup

Hi! Julien! :love
Long time no see!
At last, I decided to contribute my work to RPF.
In my memory, last year you told me to contribute my work here.
But at that time, I hesitated to do that, because I am Japanese, I thought communication of English will cause trouble.
If I use poor English, then forgive me, English is not my main language.
Thanks a lot.

Today, I show you the making process of the wings : part2 and the other parts. :)

Last edited:
Seriously beautiful work, and what is it with you guys in Japan? You never fail to make a LOT of us westerners look like inferior builders :lol.

Love those wings Atom, there so neat, tidy....ah, i always drool at naked neat styrene.

bests, and look forward to seeing more......lee

Hi! ralphee:love

Thank you for evaluating my work.:)

I am not a professional modeler.
Oh, in fact, this is the first SS build for me.
When I purchased CCX in September, 2002, I was excited very much. This was because I thought that CCX is a reproduction of genuine prop. Of course CCX was a splendid kit also!
I thought that I had only to arrange a nose corn and backward lower part of fuselage to make CCX into RED2 at first.
But finished all parts, and assembled it provisionally, then watching it, I felt sense of incongruity. :confused

Therefore I made many comparison pics with prop. And I understood it. CCX is not a reproduction of prop. About same time , I knew about RPF. There I read X-wing thread of Mr. beaz. There was a lot of splendid discovery.:thumbsup

And I decided to remodel CCX overall such as fuselage, wings, laser guns. The comparison pics which I attached this time are the pics which I made them in November, 2003.
The remodeling of fuselage started in December, 2003 and was almost finished in April, 2004.
I began to build wings and laser guns in May,2004 and was almost finished in 2005.

To tell the truth, I stopped to remodel of CCX-RED2 from 2006 until November,2009. Because I was too tired to remodel it. lol:cry
During that time, I built FM 1/72 X-WING(RED2, BLUE1), 1/48 X-WING(RED2) for exercise of the painting of CCX-RED2.

But recently, I can watch many new reference pics on the web, for example RED3 pics and BLUE1 pics.:rolleyes

So, I start again!
Now I'm contributing my old pics of CCX-RED2. And I have a lot of another pics of CCX-RED2 more.

Please enjoy.
I'm waiting your comments and all other member's comments. Thanks.:thumbsup

Last edited:
September, 2004
I cast CCX-RED2 fuselage for myself.
I cast it for RED3,RED5 which I had a plan to build them later.
Of course many corrections are necessary because the details are different in RED2 and RED3,RED5.
V2 and V3, was not released in those days, so this was the best solution for me to build other X-WINGS at that time.
Please look.:thumbsup

Last edited:
This is turning into a fantastic build! I love all the scratch building your'e doing. Plus all of the pictures you post are just fantastic. I may have to get out my second V2 and start working on it. Great inspiration!

That's quite an impressive production line you have there Atom!

Yes, there were truly a lot of differences between the ships. Red 3 had a very different nose lower section, although it shared the forward-located photon torpedo tubes with Red 5. Red 2 had them the farthest back, and, as been detailed here on the RPF, Red 2 had different engine details (thank you MoffEaton and others).

Hey Robiwon nice to see you again - how's your Blue X-Wing?

Hey there buddy! My Blue Leader is doing just fine. It suffered an accident at the paws of one of my devil cats. But she has been repaired and is as good as ever!

This Red 2 build however will blow anything I can cobble together right out of the water!

Hi! Robiwon!:love
Nice to meet you!
Thank you for your nice comment!
I watched your BLUE LEADER!
It's awesome! Great build!:thumbsup
I built 1/72 FM X-WING (RED2, BLUE1) for trial build of this SS RED2 several years ago.

HI! ILMwannabe!:love
This time, I attached the pics of my 1/72 FM X-WINGS. You said you had a plan to build FM X-WING squadron someday.
Please look! I'm glad if that helps.:thumbsup

This time, I show all of you the making process of the laser guns.
In 2005, I built the laser guns of my CCX-RED2. I used PLASTRUCT tubes to scratch them. You might disappoint to know that my laser guns were not made by brass tubes. Of course I knew ILM used brass tubes for ANH X-WINGS. Although there were some differences between real RED2 laser guns and mine, I satisfied the result.

Last edited:
Do not say your sorry for not using brass tubes on your canons. They look fantastic as is. I really like the way you used your soldering iron to heat shape the panels. Nice idea to give them the proper curves.

Oh and thank you for the compliments on my Blue Leader.:love

Hi! kh39!:)

"Laser cannon!"
That's it!
Sorry, I've called it a "gun".
I've made mistake until now.

I built my "cannon" without clear reference pics in 2005.
But nowadays, there are lots of reference pics. Especially, RED3's are clear.
And It became clear that there were some differences between my cannon and real prop cannon.
I gonna modify them sooner or later.:thumbsup

Hi! beaz!:)
Thank you for your comment.

CCX's butt plate seems to be slightly smaller (shorter?)than that of hero RED2. This is not only for the shrinkage, but also the cutting place of the Hummel parts and the shaman parts are different from real prop.
At first, I intended to use CCX's butt plate, and attached it to the fuselage already. But I was wrong. It is apparent that the difference between CCX butt plate and hero RED2 butt plate, if you can see the clear pics of RED2's butt plate on blue ray. Sorry, I didn’t make comparison pics. I will attach it next time.

BTW, beaz, your butt plate is wonderful.:thumbsup
I am wondering whether ILM built all X-WINGS from one master mold. But I recognize that height (length?)of butt plate is different between hero fuselage and pyro fuselage because it is necessary for hero fuselage to make space for motorized mechanism. I think CCX is based on pyro fuselage, so the butt plate is shorter than hero butt plate. It's a problem.

Anyway I decided to build new butt plate.
All parts will be prepared if I add Saturn parts on this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you, atom. I think you should certainly add the Saturn V parts to your pattern. My pattern has them.

My current understanding is that the rear plates were all castings, just like the droid strips. There are bubbles in the rear plate mold that ILM made that result in identical defects in just about all of the rear plate castings I've studied, hero and pyro.

There might have been two rear plate molds made, but even so, I think this area is always a casting on the models.

kevin,he's talking about if the two hero fuselage patern were made.This is what he says sometime:cry

In my oppinion,hero and pyro are from the same pattern.Though the some panel lines are diffrent individually,but the most of the panel lines are twisted similarly.
And if you look at the bottom,it's more obvious.

I think I've read that ILMer didn't use silicon initially of ANH model building.
If it's true,maybe the panel lines were easy to disapear in the prosess of casting.

Hi! beaz, Thank you for your useful information about rear plate.:thumbsup

I agree with you. I can see many air bubbles appeared on rear plate of RED2 on blue ray pics. If I really want to make a “ANH RED2 made by ILM “, I must make air bubbles on my rear plate. lol lol.
About upper fuselage, I think ILM might use same casting for RED2 and other X-WINGS.
But apparently lower fuselage is different, as you can recognize the difference of photon torpedo tube between RED2 and other X-WINGS. Shape of nose cone is also different. RED2 is mysterious.

Hi, kh39:rolleyes
・・・・the two hero fuselage pattern were made. This is what he says sometime・・・
Did I say so before?
Sorry, I forgot what I said. lol lol
But I thought the reason I said so was there were too many differences between RED2 fuselage and other X-WING fuselage. Then I thought ILM made two fuselage for RED2 and other X-WINGS. Maybe that’s why I said. As of now I don’t know whether they made only one pattern or not.

I think the same questionable point about fuselage is a possibility every RED2 builder may face, has that never occurred to you guys? :confused

Last edited:
But I thought the reason I said so was there were too many differences between RED2 fuselage and other X-WING fuselage. Then I thought ILM made two fuselage for RED2 and other X-WINGS. Maybe that’s why I said. As of now I don’t know whether they made only one pattern or not.

I don't think there are so many differences in between of RED 2 and the other.
Can you give me examples?

And as Kevin said in his thread,lower fuselage is made by vacuform.:)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back