Building The Death Star - PRE-PRODUCTION

Re: BUILDING the Death Star!

Update on the pricing...

The $300 quote was for a "spinning" method for creating the domes. The supplier can still do the domes at $116 using a "free blown" process. The difference as explained to me is as follows:

"using spinning the hemisphere will come out more hemispherical. When we free blow, there may be a tolerance of +/- 1/4". There may be a bit of mark off on the hemisphere blown in the spinning - mark off comes from the acrylic touching the sides of the tooling. A free blown hemisphere, while not perfect, should be absolutely optically clear."

The supplier continued stating they do feel the free blown method would work for this application (and they have a detailed schematic plus shots of the original model).

Anyone with experience with acrylic domes and the methods used in creating them care to comment?

Last edited by a moderator:

over the course of 3 feet at a tolerance of 1/4 on each hemisphere you're talking about a total of 1/2 out of round total. That is 1/72 of the total hieght and you'd be hard pressed to see it. unless of course the 1/4 off per hemisphere results in flat spots - thats an error of a different nature.

It sounds like the cheaper domes will probably be adequate.

I look forward to seeing it!

Jedi Dade

over the course of 3 feet at a tolerance of 1/4 on each hemisphere you're talking about a total of 1/2 out of round total. That is 1/72 of the total hieght and you'd be hard pressed to see it. unless of course the 1/4 off per hemisphere results in flat spots - thats an error of a different nature.

It sounds like the cheaper domes will probably be adequate.

I look forward to seeing it!

Jedi Dade

Dade I do agree with you.

My concern though would be if the overall diameter is off - say 35.75 on one and 36.25 on the other. That would create a unique challenge in getting the domes to align properly at the trench/equator. But I'll double check with the supplier on that.

The cheaper method - I've learned - can result in up to +/- 1/4 in diameter of the hemisphere. That means the wo halves could potentially be half an inch different in diameter, which is a complete "no-go".

So it looks like I'm speanding a few extra bucks, and saving my green backs. 600 of 'em...

Re-invigorating this thread...

Still haven't bought any plastic, but after having seen the real deal in WA, and having a few extra dollars to play with, I may be doing so soon.

Beyond that, sorry for the tease at the moment!

Last edited:

Maybe try hitting up Jedirick. I know he had a fiberglass 2 part sphere that was around 3 feet in diameter or so. I think it was going to be a DS at one time, since the gun hole is already cut into it. He might still have it if you're interested.

The cheaper method - I've learned - can result in up to +/- 1/4 in diameter of the hemisphere. That means the wo halves could potentially be half an inch different in diameter, which is a complete "no-go".

So it looks like I'm speanding a few extra bucks, and saving my green backs. 600 of 'em...

Can't you make a special request of them to check the diameters before they ship them out? Let them know that this measurement is the most crucial... Besides, there is the POTENTIAL that it could be 1/2" off - that does not mean it will be that far off. In-fact, there is the same potential that it could be dead on. Since it's a gamble, however, I suggest that you request they double check for you. Especially if they have stock, they can pick and choose the two closest pieces.

Will they let you inspect before you buy? That is tell them upfront that the outer edges needs to line up and if they can take a little extra precaustions there the blown spheres might be worthwhile... Certainly more cost effective... I think I'd work with them a bit - perhaps they'd be willing to make a few and match up the best "pairs" for you...

Ask them if you can see an "example" of what they are talking about...:love

Another thing to think abou tis that you could "fudge a bit" on the center axis of the sphere so that if they truly are off you could offset it a bit so that it looks close to center... perhaps close enough that a bit of fiberglass "filling of the dome" - with the requisite sanding to follow to smooth everything - could make it "good enough"... for a roughly $400 difference in price I think I'd try the blown domes... but that's me I like to live dangerously ;)

thoughts?

Jedi Dade

On my 1:1 one-dimensional mock-up, the distance from the equator to the bottom of the super laser is 1.5 inches. The upper hemisphere is 16.5 inches, and the super laser is 9.25 inches across.

These numbers match 99% - 100% accurate to the photo of the original.

The only remaining question is, can a photo examination/extrapolation of a 3D object compared to a 1D object work?

EDIT: IMPORTANT - IF ANYONE IS FOLLOWING MY GUIDELINES/SPECIFICATIONS, I WAS INCORRECT ON THE SIZE OF THE DISH. I AM CURRENTLY RECALCULATING, BUT IT APPEARS TO BE CLOSER TO 7" TO 8" IN DIAMETER.

Last edited:

By the way, the plastics supplier reports my domes are in progress. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll see them this upcoming week. But it may be the following week .

By the way, the plastics supplier reports my domes are in progress. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll see them this upcoming week. But it may be the following week .

Hey Rob,
Let me know if you need help on this. It would be pretty cool to help out a day or two.

Brad

Hey guys - I'm doing a mini 6" deathstar (Biggest domes at plastruct) I'm stuck on the superlaser dish - You guys think it's conical or curved? I've PM'd Moe but haven't heard back yet.

You guys must be prophetic - wait until you see what I just unloaded in my garage today! :love

By all (very casual and general) reports from the ILM crew, they inverted the remainder after they cut out the 9" hole for the laser.

I find this suspect as the sawblade would remove material leaving a piece a bit smaller than the hole. However if they added detail plastic to the removed disc, then that may have made it work.

As we all now, the original is long gone. and Moe's is not permanently affixed. It uses what appears to be a styrene clamping system. That's why it dosn't seem to fit perfectly (or so I think). Would YOU go and glue something unoriginal onto the most valuable piece of film memorabilia ever? I wouldn't...

The original dish was sort of like a meteor crater. While most of it sunk below the surface, there was a ridge around it, much like you get with a blide impact. How this was accomplished, not sure we'll ever know. Moe's method comes close, but doesn't nail it.

By the way, Moe does not have a mold - its a one-off.

EDIT: IMPORTANT - IF ANYONE IS FOLLOWING MY GUIDELINES/SPECIFICATIONS, I WAS INCORRECT ON THE SIZE OF THE DISH. I AM CURRENTLY RECALCULATING, BUT IT APPEARS TO BE CLOSER TO 7" TO 8" IN DIAMETER.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back