Building The Death Star - PRE-PRODUCTION

Re: BUILDING the Death Star!

Moe i believe that is in fact your dish!

Regarding comments on helping others with the project (in any form - kit, masks, commissions), while I'm fairly altruistic, my intent on this was not so much to create kits or other tangible elements for others, but to satisfy a personal desire (obsession).

Frankly, this thing is just to damn big for a private individual of my means to offer kits. Shipping alone would be a nightmare. And as Mike said, this is no easy project - masking it once ust to finish my project will drive me insane enough as it is, let alone creating some form of template.

What I can offer is the dimensions I derived. I'm waiting a bit, because I really sort of want to see how it all comes together before I encourage anyone to use my numbers. In my one-dimensional mock up, they work, but I need to see the entire item put together, and allow others to see it too, before offering numbers. That way, they will know how the numbers translate to reality, and can make their own decisions as to wether or not to use my math.

Additionally, after the results are assessed, I am willing to inquire with the supplier to see if they can keep the specs on hand so that others can order the parts from them in a single stroke, "push button" order. But those not local would have to arrange shipping.

Jason, on the light, my initial plan is to use one or two of the scew-in flourescent light-bulbs, somehow wired through (and mounted on) the stand/intenal structure. The sort of bulb Lasse used on his smaller version.

But really, regarding painting and lighting, the quote in my signature says it all, "I'm sort of making this up as I go!"...

Last edited:

A great project--you seem off to a good start--you must have a very understandng spouse!!

All you need are 12 to 15 patterns cut in quantity, repeated in varying locations, and then a few unique ones... cut 'em up, mix and match, and there you go.

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but are you under the impression that there is surface texture on the SS model? There isn't--it's smooth. It's all in the paint job.

Moe do believe that is in fact your dish!

Regarding comments on helping others with the project (in any form - kit, masks, commissions), while I'm fairly altruistic, my intent on this was not so much to create kits or other tangible elements for others, but to satisfy a personal desire (obsession).

Frankly, this thing is just to damn big for a private individual of my means to offer kits. Shipping alone would be a nightmare. And as Mike said, this is no easy project - masking it once ust to finish my project will drive me insane enough as it is, let alone creating some form of template.

What I can offer is the dimensions I derived. I'm waiting a bit, because I really sort of want to see how it all comes together before I encourage anyone to use my numbers. In my one-dimensional mock up, they work, but I need to see the entire item put together, and allow others to see it too, before offering numbers. That way, they will know how the numbers translate to reality, and can make their own decisions as to wether or not to use my math.

Additionally, after the results are assessed, I am willing to inquire with the supplier to see if they can keep the specs on hand so that others can order the parts from them in a single stroke, "push button" order. But those not local would have to arrange shipping.

Jason, on the light, my initial plan is to use one or two of the scew-in flourescent light-bulbs, somehow wired through (and mounted on) the stand/intenal structure. The sort of bulb Lasse used on his smaller version.

But really, regarding painting and lighting, the quote in my signature says it all, "I'm sort of making this up as I go!"...

A VERY reasonable and thoughtful response! I'm looking forward to your numbers... I plan on making a significanlty smaller DS (about 18") so I can use your numbers as a template if they work out... I'm assuming they will...

I see a lamp being scavenged and stripped in your near future...:cool

If you spray bomb the inside of the sphere white you could probably get away with a simple incandescent bulb - and if you make it so that it comes apart fairly easy it should not be a problem... I wait with great anticipation to seeing what you come up with!

Jedi Dade

I've heard that the inside of these models works best with it being all painted silver.........it reflects 100% of the light bouncing around in there and doesn't allow the light to bleed thru the parts you don't want it to. I'd probably shoot for a single light bulb dead center of the thing. It should light the whole sphere nicely.

Dave

Thanks JD! :)

Vaderdarth, the concern therein (and I did consider that) is that in order to create the billions (hyperbole!?) of lights on the surface, the plan is to drill only through the exterior paint to allow the light to come through.

Painting the inside would require drilling all the way through the acrylic.

Vaderdarth, the concern therein (and I did consider that) is that in order to create the billions (hyperbole!?) of lights on the surface, the plan is to drill only through the exterior paint to allow the light to come through.

Yes. This is the solution I considered and tested for my DSII sample tile. One only needs a uniform reflective layer sprayed directly on the OUTSIDE of the acrylic, with the base coat gray and surface blocks applied over that. It's a very simple but tedious matter of using a straight pin and a straight edge to make the holes. Having them tiny is an advantage for scale. The holes would have to be on the rectangular side to depict the equatorial belt docking bays, though.

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but are you under the impression that there is surface texture on the SS model? There isn't--it's smooth. It's all in the paint job.

No, sorry, poorly worded - I was thinking of painting masks :) I know it's smooth... sexy and sleek!

Thanks JD! :)

That's an awful lot of needle work, but much easier than drilling millions of holes through to the inside. I was wondering how that would work, but the sphere is basically clear. I can't wait to see this unfold.

From what I've read drilling holes won't be necessary. The model was painted and paint was simply scraped off for windows, so the light shows thru. I'd think masking them on the model would be the way to go. No drilling will be necessary. Hope that helps. :cool

I suspect there was a clever template/pattern method used to make the holes in the paint. Something that could be placed on the model within the masking and hit with say sand paper to reveal the holes.

I bet they did what Lasse did. Paint the clear dome and simply drill through the paint. Maybe even use a pencil grinder.

That's the plan - use a drill; but only enough twists to get through the paint.

The more rectangle areas along the equator (mentioned earlier) will be more challenging.

Have not heard back with the final estimate on the raw materials -- been a day and a half now. Mildly surprising, as they have been fantastic so far. Will follow up on Monday.

Last edited:

Hey gang!

Well I just got back from my trip to Seattle, and while I was there, I had to go check out the Sci-Fi Museum. I spent a lot of my time there studying the original Death Star model, so I've got a pretty good sense of it now.

I think you've pretty much nailed the measurements for this thing. It is displayed in a 4' x 4' x 4' case and there is about 6" of space on each side of the model itself, bringing the diameter of it to about 3' (or 36"). The dish looked smaller in proportion to the rest of the model than I had expected, but I think 8"-9" is about right.

With it only being completed on one viewing side (about 300° or so painted, leaving 60° or so clear), it allows for a look at the internal structure from the back. There is a metal and wood (I think) frame inside that the dome pieces are screwed to via the holes right through the surface of the model, just as others have said here. I guess there were some plugs covering the screws when they were filming the model, as they look very obvious. There is an access hole (for changing bulbs?) near the south pole on the "back" side, which seems to be close to the same diameter as the dish. The museum has it displayed on a rod that goes straight up through the middle on which they have attached an LED cluster to act as the light source. Unfortunately, it doesn't throw quite enough light (plus it's an artificial blue coloured light) which doesn't show off the window light effect very well.

As for making the window lights, it was clear to me that all the holes were achieved by simply scraping small little "dashes" through the paint with a needle or something, rather than any actual drilling. They aren't particularly straight, so I figure it was just done here and there by hand, fairly quickly.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your progress on this project. This is another one of those things that I have on my list of things to do, fairly high up actually, so I hope to take a stab at it soon myself.

Keep up the great work!

Later,

MJC.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's the plan - use a drill; but only enough twists to get through the paint.

Nah. Just nick the paint with a straight pin. Trust me; the scale effect is just fine unless you plan on planting your face within 2" of the surface!!! Don't make more work for yourself than you have to.

The more rectangle areas along the equator (mentioned earlier) will be more challenging.

Make some kind of mask template and have a bunch of rectangle shapes cut. The limited surface area of the equator shouldn't make that too much of a chore.

I was wondering if it made sense to stick pins in the surface, and then paint, then remove the pins... or if that was even possible

probably the least amount of work with the best finished effect

The absolute simplest way would be to paint the outside first with silver, then your chosen base/details colors. Then drill each "window" thru the paint only. Just use those little tiny micro-drills which fit in a pen vise. It should give you exactly the desired scale effect you want. Besides, you won't know where you want to put your windows until the thing is finished anyway.

Dave

Every time I think about the Original DS being built I have this vision of 4-5 recent college graduates with a couple of cases of beer getting hammered and stabbing the DS with an exacto knife over and over to create all the windows... I just can't get the image out of my head. It makes me laugh evertime I think about it...:lol

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back