Building The Death Star - PRE-PRODUCTION

Re: BUILDING the Death Star!

Pix of my test panel. I made this last year. Rob will remember it. It's a panel designed to test materials and techniques on clear acrylic with a light-blocking silver layer with base coat and surface blocks over the top of that. The light holes were made with a pin. There's nothing to this. It's VERY uncomplicated.

KGdsII2.jpg

KGdsII1.jpg

The first image was taken with the panel against a window with simple daylight coming through.

That looks absolutely fantastic. So much easier than drilling holes/fiber optics...etc... Nice work man.

Dave

That looks absolutely fantastic. So much easier than drilling holes/fiber optics...etc... Nice work man.

Dave

Thanks. :thumbsup

I didn't mean to hi-jack, but I think Rob will be able to make good use of that technique on his build. I can't wait to see what he does with it!

Yup, Bob... I do recall!

I am actually looking forward to the lighting part. Even though its four times the size of the off-the-shelf kit, I am right in there with Bob in that I think the process will go much quicker.

One small set back - I had faxed a schematic of the parts I need to the supplier, and waited a few days... Today I received a note stating they never got it. Re-faxed today; again no receipt. So I'll mail it in (will only take a day). They need it for the final estimate, then I need to mail a deposit check to officially commission the work.

Sorry for the boring administrative detail - just wanted you all to know where I am on the project.

SET BACK... :unsure

Guys I took a bit of a sucker punch on the cost of the hemispheres. Where as the gal initially (and verbally) stated $116 per dome, the final quote came back at $310 for the upper dome and $285 for the lower - a HUGE difference.

I'm currently inquiring with the sales rep as to the difference, pending a response.

Further, the additional clear acrylicy discs I intended to use to separate the domes and create the trench were quoted in the ball park of $500 for three discs.

The overall quote for for nearly $1,200

I have a more local supplier who can do the discs, but not the domes, but his prices - though better -- are stil $350 for the three discs.

So...

I came up with an alternate plan for the construction of the sphere that should work, and should eliminate the need for clear acrylic discs at the equator. I'll ecplain it later.

But in the mean time, I'd entertain your suggestions...

Well... Here's my plan...

I wil still likely obtain the hemispheres. Truth be told, $116 per seemed to good to be true...

But here's what I'm going to do.

I will cut a WOOD disc that matches the ID of the domes. Into these discs I will cut various large holes, maybe 6" in diameter. These wooden discs will sit just inside the domes, and close them off like kettle drums. Same plan as with the acrylic, but in wood. With acrylic, light transmission was not an issue. But with wood -- well, that's what the 6" holes are for.

And I'll have TWO bulbs - one for each hemisphere.

About the trench/docking bay lights...

Previously I was going to create the trench by a 35" diameter clear acrylic disic (but not at $200 for it!) sandwiched between the two cosed off domes...

But now, on the wooden disc that closes off the lower hemi, I will install about four 3/8' thick spacer blocks, then set the upper hemi onto the spaces. This will create the off-set for the two domes, but I still need the trench wall (where the docking bays would open up at). I will have a 1/8"-thick, 3/8" wide, 36" long strip of clear acrylic (or even clear styrene) made, and install this 3/8" back from the edge of the hemis (at the now-spaced and open equator).

My thought is that the light transmission from the holes in the wooden discs will be enough to fill the gap between the two hemis, and emit through this thin trench back wall.

Make sense?

Think it'll work?

If so it will save me $300 - $500, and likely green-light the project again...

Last edited:

One element of my plan was not mentioned, and it's something that would lessen the need of integrity/strength of the wooden discs.

That would be to insert another, smaller diameter wooden disc (say 20" diameter) deeper into the bottom dome, then install vertical struts (pieces of 2x4) between the two discs.

With the added support from below, the main disc would not be as prone to sagging, and hence the "light holes" can be greater in number and/or diameter, ultimately allowing more light to pass through.

Not sure if you've seen this before PHArchivist, but this looks like a good place to obtain the domes at a reasonable price.
http://www.globalplastics.ca/default.asp?mn=1.179

I bought two 3' diameter clear domes from Globalplastics some months ago, very good service and quality. It was expensive to ship to Norway where I live!! It's BIG, and it was packed in a large box made of wood to protect it. The domes I bought is 1/2" thick. I havent started working on it yet, but soon... I can send a picture of it if you want.

Maths

Looks like they're running right around $200 per dome, which is much more reasonable.

Question will be shipping costs.

I live in California - looks like they're on the eastern seaboard. The supplier I've been negotiating with is local, and I have a van, so there would be no shipping. But the local supplier is $200 more for the domes.

So if Global can ship for notably less than $200, they may be the way to go.

Maths and Samos, how much were the actual shipping costs?

And Maths, I'd love to see a photo. Are you doing the same project?

This guy is a Modelmaking God in my opinion!
(Okay maybe not a God but his skill amazes the Hell out of me!)

Here is a great Death Star Model he did and Completed:

http://www.starwarz.com/modelshop/make/deathstar.htm

He's done many other Great Models from Star Wars:I look forward to seeing the Progress of your Death Star!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob, if I may...

Get your hemispheres first and then decide how to proceed. ;)

You may find that if the plexi or acrylic is thick enough, a minimum of internal bracing will be needed and... and... you'll be better able to visualize a solution if you have something physical to work with.

Agreed. Bob... Sometimes that is the best approach to projects, as it is not always possible to pre-visualize every detail.

Looking forward to see the outcome :) I just do not have the talent and patience to start this kind of project.

Wow, what a great project!
How about getting aluminum domes spun with ;aser etched holes for the light transmission?
Simple!

LOL
Bummer about the price setback, I hope this works out I am anxiously awaiting your progress pics!
I think the hardest part will be the scale Falcon and TIE fighters!
:D

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back