Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done)

Re: Building the 8' Star Destroyer

I could just stare at that all day J, it's like looking into the ILM workshop mate and seeing this baby take shape!. I'd hate to think of the cost in kit parts to get this far, it must be what, the cost of a small size new car lol?. When she's finished you could have bought a new AMG Merc or similar, but hey dude, I'd have the SD over a car anyday!.
Incredible is all I can say for the work your'e putting into this build J!.
Stu

Thanks Lee and Stu,

Yeah that's I could have bought a small car but yeah an ISD is way better ! :D

I havent had a lot of time, but I managed some free time to build the wooden armature :

8ft219.jpg

8ft220.jpg

It's not 100% exact (my bulkheads are thicker than the original ones, I used 18 mm wood instead of 1/2 inch thick wood.

I also cut (the most difficult part so far) the neck to fit the superstructures. when I built the last stage of the superstructures, I glued it 5mm to backward so I had some difficulties with the neck... wont be 100% perfect as Im 5mm off, but Im still happy I havent damaged the neck while cutting it.

8ft221.jpg

8ft222.jpg

8ft223.jpg

8ft224.jpg

The neck is roughly cut, now I havent to sand the edges I cut to get a nice fit. And I'll glue it in place !

Ive also built the "boxes" on the starboard sides.

Thanks for looking, Julien

I have been following this thread for a while and just have to say what an astounding piece of work you are doing here. Amazing.

Sansweet needs it in his office. Could you imagine the press...the greatest SW collector with the greatest Model built by a fan..very cool

Jay-man did you use a hole saw to cut the holes in the wood looks fantastic buddy!!! It just gets better and better!!:lol

I know if I just spent thousands of hours and dollars on an epic build like this, it would have to be pryed from my cold, dead hands. :lol

Sansweet needs it in his office. Could you imagine the press...the greatest SW collector with the greatest Model built by a fan..very cool

Last edited:

This is a build for the ages! I suspect that you'll experience some sort of "Loss" once this build is complete.

I wouldn't know which is better, building this or sitting back and staring at it in awe.

Savour the moment my friend, savour the moment.:cool

Thank you guys !

Rob, probably not the best around here... There are serious guys in game, mainly the one with the big ball ! :D

Mike, yeah I used a hole saw and my drill press.

Matt, I prefer your first post before you edited it ! :lol

Jay, you're right, I think I will experiment a hard time once it will be finished... The worse thing will be that I'll have my 2 favorite models from Star Wars done (the ROTJ AT-ST and 8 Footer). Nothing will have the same I feel while building this thing... Maybe the Med frigate could do the same effect ? That's for sure something I would like to build !

Guys, I'm still looking for any pics of the front superstructures :

ISDwanted1.jpg

I would actually have good pics of those areas :

ISDwanted2.jpg

ISDwanted3.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance !

Ive been working a bit on her this week end. I found some more parts on the front superstructures (the most difficult place to ID... the sides and rear superstructures are really easy... I dont know who did detail the front, but the guy used kits that are not used on other place !).

8ft225.jpg

8ft226.jpg

8ft227.jpg

Then I detailed the outermost boxes of the hero sides. It was an easy and quick task :

8ft228.jpg

8ft229.jpg

8ft230.jpg

8ft231.jpg

Then Ive started the rear superstructures, here again it's an easy task but it took more time because all the parts need to be precisely cut and trimmed.

8ft232.jpg

8ft233.jpg

8ft234.jpg

8ft235.jpg

8ft236.jpg

8ft237.jpg

"Quick and easy" are 2 words I'm not sure should appear anywhere in this thread, Julien, let alone together! Looking great, as ever!

"Quick and easy" are 2 words I'm not sure should appear anywhere in this thread, Julien, let alone together! Looking great, as ever!

Yeah Allan, that's all relative... Actually the hero side and rear superstructures were easy to do in comparison of the front ones, that I still have to finish... Identify the parts of the sides and rear was very easy because I have good ref pics and TBH, that's always the same parts ! :lol
Only a large part gave me trouble on the rear... It took me a whole night (yeah even when Im sleeping I try to ID part in my dreams and sometimes it works, like in this case lol) to find it.

But for the front superstructures... that's a whole different thing. Each part is a fight because of the lack of good ref. I dont count the hour I was staring at blurry pics... sometimes I find a parts after several days... but there are still a lot of parts I cant find because I dont even know how they look !! I just know there's something. And being alone working on this one doesnt help.

While I have something like 98-99% of the parts of the side and rear superstructures, I know I got only 90-95% or so of the parts of the front. At some point, I will have to fill the gaps...

So far, we share 15 of the same donor kits..... and the movie posters:lol

Clean looking work Julien..... the build that is. I can respect the room too, I'm sitting in one that looks similar!:lol

Surprise~! buddy. Now I see the work room of ILM in your house. I respect you :) thanks eric

Julien, when did you have the earthquake? :lol

Your build is incredible mate, I still dont know how you do this at this scale, so much information to get right & you make it look like childs play.

I don't know what else to say about this J, it's all been said. Incredible and awesome just doesn't cut it bro, pics say a thousand words though and man I could stare all day at those pics and wonder is he insane?.
Iv'e said it before and I'll say it again J, your'e just a machine mate, this will be THE build of the RPF and to think your'e doing alone, amazing!.

Oh yeah, your model room pics J, now that's what I call a 'man den', wall to wall model clutter, youv'e made us all proud mate. I showed my wife and said see, it's not just me, he's got 'stuff' too all over the place lol. Of course I just got the familiar roll of eyes.

Stu:lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back