Best table saw for model-builders

joberg

Legendary Member
To all,
I've tried the search button for that topic but came empty-handed. I want to spend some $$ for a small table saw suited for small, detailed modeling work.
What brand/features would you recommend and that some of you are already using.(y)
Any info would be welcomed.
Cheers,
Joberg

It all depends on the size of what you’re cutting. A 10 inch small jobsite table saw would be good for larger items, but a smaller bandsaw might do the trick. I got rid of my small table saw since I wasn’t using it for any hobby projects and it didn’t get much use around the yard either. I mostly use my circular saw for ripping large boards along with some collapsible sawhorses and clamps.
Smaller thicker items I cut on the mini Ryobi bandsaw.

TazMan2000

I have an old Minicraft table saw like this one (including the aged look). It can take up to 3mm plywood with a bit of adjustment on the guard, but if you overload it with a large piece it'll burn out the variable speed transformer. It is nice for getting a straight cut, though.

Another useful tool's a jigsaw bolted upside down below my work table with the blade fed through a slot in the table, and you can add an adjustable fence to the side. A kind of poor man's table saw crossed with a fret saw. I also made a long arm that has bearings to guide the blade and keep it as vertical as I can. There are plenty of YT videos on how to make one. Mine's attached to a wooden plate via insert nuts to not lose too much blade length for cutting, and I can replace the jigsaw with another tool if I ever feel the need, or even just a plain wooden plate so I can use it as a large assembly table.

Last edited:
I've been really happy with my Proxxon, well Proxxon anything damn near. But esp my small Proxxon table saw.

This is an area that's difficult to get the sweet spot for. You need a combination of variable power, finesse, and accuracy, and it seems most hobbyists and even some pros end up doubling up on scales of equipment. It's maddening. It's why I still haven't got a lathe, drill press, or band saw... hobby-oriented equipment just doesn't have what it really needs, and I can't afford the $$ or space for full-size counterparts.

Proxxon is the "Rolls Royce" of model-building power tools. They are also priced accordingly. But, you're likely to be *very* pleased with any Proxxon tool you purchase and it should last a very long time.

As just one example, I've gone through at least two of those cheap Harbor Freight micro chop saws. (MicroMark sells the same one I believe, but at a much higher price.) Sure, I paid only about $40 for each of them, but they are very cheaply made so you get what you pay for. One died on me in the middle of a project. The Proxxon equivalent is about 5 times the price, but it works much better and it won't quit on you!

I use a Proxxon Fet model ,.in fact it is the model which came before the Fet model,..it has a feature which allows you to increase/decrease the speed of the cutting blade.
If you are located in the US you might want to look into Byrnes table saw,.website:Byrnes Model Machines,....this seems to be the bees knees of small table saws loved by ship modelers.
I personally do not see a lot of advantages over the Proxxon Fet except maybe that the Byrnes machine is made of aluminum and iron and the measuring scale is more exact .
The Proxxon is plastic(except for the saw's table which is aluminum ) but sturdy enough for model work I think.

Last edited:
Joberg... I have the same dilemma as you. The previous posts/experiences are helpful.
The comment from member "Clerval" is spot on, it's either a cheap toy... or super expensive precision machine

Very good suggestion you all:cool::cool:(y)(y) Defo need a variable speed table saw. I have a regular Ryobi one with a 40 tooth blade...but no variable speed. I've used some mother ****** table saw in my life (one that could cut 4 X 8 MDF panel with just one operator...not the upright one:p).
I'll probably invest into a 120 teeth circular blade before jumping into the small table saw ones. Thanks again for the quick response...you guys rock:love::love:

I've seen some Dremel mounts that make your Dremel a table saw. Good for really small stuff I imagine. As a contractor I would not use a full jobsite table saw for scale modeling. I'm sure with a jig it could work but man, mine are LOUD and messy. There are many tiny table saws out there. Check Amazon.

This is an interesting mini table saw with an adjustable height for the blade, and runs a drill chuck to the side that you can also fix a flexible shaft to. It's better build quality than mine, at least. I've also seen a few today that have a guard above the blade :rolleyes:

This is an interesting mini table saw with an adjustable height for the blade, and runs a drill chuck to the side that you can also fix a flexible shaft to. It's better build quality than mine, at least. I've also seen a few today that have a guard above the blade :rolleyes:

Thanks for that JimmyB(y)(y) Lots of possibilities with that model for sure.:cool::cool:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back