Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Post-release)

that trailer actually didn't make it look bad.

And they cut waaay back on lex scenes, which was smart.

but still....i have no desire to see this again, let alone a longer version of the same bad movie ;o)./

Wow... So the extended cut is R rated. They really are tripling down on the dark and gritty factor aren't they?? I have a strong feeling it's going to be a far better movie. I may actually like it.

Wow... So the extended cut is R rated. They really are tripling down on the dark and gritty factor aren't they?? I have a strong feeling it's going to be a far better movie. I may actually like it.

I don't think the average joe will even see much a difference in the longer cut with regards to the R rating. Maybe one or two darker themes, a punch or two that is a bit too brutal maybe. It won't be suddenly hard R or anything.

There is one thing that bothers me a bit about all this trash talk on the studio making Snyder cut his movie. Most of the time, when a director signs a contract with a producer, there are numerous clauses about hat is expected from the film, including a pre-determined running time. So Snyder should have known since the beginning that he had a limit, and yet decided to shoot in such a way that apparently a running time of 2h+ wasn't enough to correctly tell his story. The producers should have seen it too according to the script that it wouldn't fit the running time. Bad management on all accounts here, from the studio, but from Zack too.

is it too early to have bad vibes about this batfleck movie?

ANOTHER origin story? and one that's different jsut to be different? or is it 'borrowing' from different origin stories?

i'm confused....

Dude, either you and I read very different articles, or you need to buy a pair of glasses. As far as I'm aware, the batman story to come will be an originAL story, with some inspiration from comics here and there.

Dude, either you and I read very different articles, or you need to buy a pair of glasses. As far as I'm aware, the batman story to come will be an originAL story, with some inspiration from comics here and there.

I wasn't the only one. other people thought it was an original ORIGIN story ;o).

Well a lot more people need glasses then, because that's what Affleck said in his latest interview :
"I think what I would do, what I probably would do, is in some ways what Zack did with this movie, which is to borrow certain things from the great comic books, but create an original story around it because I wouldn't want the fans to already know the story and be familiar, but I would borrow, steal, great things that have been done before in the comics."

​No mention of any origin story, just an original story.

Batman v Superman: Damage Control. *yawn* This movie just needs to go away. Marvel has me more excited about C-listers than another "original" batman story. Now if they REALLY wanted to get my attention, they would adapt the hush storyline, because not only was that an awesome story, Batman was ****ing amazing in it. Has a dash of Superman too.

So the BvS Ultimate Edition on Amazon is rated R. The theatrical version was rated PG-13.

Are they banking on the success of Deadpool with it's R-rating for DVD sales or was the cut footage actually that much more violent that it changed the MPAA rating?

So the BvS Ultimate Edition on Amazon is rated R. The theatrical version was rated PG-13.

Are they banking on the success of Deadpool with it's R-rating for DVD sales or was the cut footage actually that much more violent that it changed the MPAA rating?

Most likely. However, I read some articles about what the left out, and it sounded like it made the movie a little more coherent. Too bad that it got cut out. Quite a bit of stuff on there that made a lot of sense.

No this is not banking on the succes of Deadpool. Even if Deadpool wouldnt have been the succes that it was then BvS would still have an R-rated Version cus Snyder...

http://www.blumhouse.com/2016/06/17/we-need-to-save-superman/

thought folks here might find this interesting.

they described smallville to a t...

Personally, i think a great modern superman is the animated series jlu/jl superman.
they made him heart warming, appreciative, angsty, angry, and cool all at the same time, without loosing what he was.
they also showed he wasn't a true boyscout when captain marvel came a calling.

http://www.blumhouse.com/2016/06/17/we-need-to-save-superman/

thought folks here might find this interesting.

they described smallville to a t...

Personally, i think a great modern superman is the animated series jlu/jl superman.
they made him heart warming, appreciative, angsty, angry, and cool all at the same time, without loosing what he was.
they also showed he wasn't a true boyscout when captain marvel came a calling.

It's a pretty well reasoned article - but because it denotes "this way is the wrong or right way" I find it hard to accept the message, because it deals in an absolute. Which is quite short sighted.

Superman isn't only for kids. And I absolutely agree that he should be there for kids. But he is for everyone. There are some absolutely amazing stories told via the prism of Superman that kids simply could not understand or connect with, because the concepts that the stories explore are large, complex and nuanced. I may have started my love of the character when I was young, but I certainly didnt appreciate even a small percentile of the depth of some of the stories that are told about him until recently.

I totally agree Neil, that the JLA Superman is a great character, and an excellent middle ground. But that middle ground doesnt generally work for movies in today's world. Because unfortunately that Superman in the JLA cartoons is planted in a world with many, many issues that simply arent as big of an issue as they would be in a film universe (for example, we love the Superman of JLA...he does toss people through buildings. He does destroy things. But there are never any issues about casualties, property destruction etc unless it is in the broadest of terms) - even the Avengers, are not getting away (in universe) with damage to property and death any more, because the Sokovia Accords have come into play, showing an in universe reaction to wanton destruction and death).

Our heroes in comics generally represent the era that they are written in - there is a reason why people are drawn to darker concepts and "realistic" heroes, the world is more jaded nowadays, children are exposed to the world quicker, they become "aware" at an earlier age (they don't necessarily grow up quicker) etc. We are all connected on a very immediate level and somehow that seems to have made us all more distant with one another. There is very real hate, very real negative feelings everywhere.

There are also reasons to have different intepretations of these ideals and characters too - all of us have different ideals and ideas of greatness, of enjoyment - if you only ever had one type of one thing, Superman would not have lasted these last 75 years.

Well a lot more people need glasses then, because that's what Affleck said in his latest interview :

[/B]​No mention of any origin story, just an original story.
Seems pretty clear to me. I'm glad there's not another origin story. I don't think I can handle another take on Martha's slomo pearls again.

Random thought: nowhere else I'd like to voice it, even though I'm loathe to invite negativity, hopefully there are people that may enjoy it.

The section with the senate and the bombing. Superman, distraught and torn up, amongst the flames. Firstly, has there been that particular perspective on this situation before in film? I don't mean physical, obviously we've been inside fires and such before. I mean with a character that is physically unaffected by said destruction. And I'm wracking my brains and I don't think there has been?

(Wish I didn't have to, but to preface with facts about the scene...he didn't prevent it because he wasn't looking/distracted, it happens for multiple reasons which almost all center on furthering Lex's agenda, it showcases Lex's villainy, he will destroy pawns and cares not for collateral damage, as long as it reflects poorly upon Superman, it simultaneously hits Bruce [because Batman is witnessing terror and death as an indirect result of Superman's existence/actions], Clark, Senator Finch and the public all at once etc, and Superman, very clearly, looks absolutely gutted that it happened.)

And it hit me so powerfully. The invincibility of the character in that particular situation directly makes him vincible, and floors him like a sledgehammer. How beautiful (in terms of film making and emotionally charged scenes) is that? It's so unbelievably personal to Superman, to be unharmed completely whilst he witnesses the comparative fragility of human life. It's so obvious when I think about it, and yet I can't think of a situation where that has been explored before. I suppose in theory, it's quite similar to 1978's heart attack scene. He is (as far as we know) immune to even his own body failing, ie. a heart attack. And yet he has to witness the fragility of his father's life. And I'm not bringing that up to start the "preventable" debate, as that's not really the theme I'm thinking about at the moment. It's more how Superman in all his various incarnations must be so...pained I think is the right word, not guilty, that he has this innate invincibility, but others do not. I know by necessity he has many weaknesses now, but it just popped into my head, so wanted to type it out.

I know this will only invite negative opinion on the particular scene etc, but hopefully there are others that enjoyed it too.

Edit: I had to check that "vincible" was a genuine word even though I was 99% certain, and I think it's the first time I've ever used it. The language geek inside me is smiling.

LOL. I feel like the only person who likes this movie. There were a couple of drawn out scenes and silly lines, (and can't say I liked child luther so much, but hey, I hate the bad guy, so it can't be bad), but what movie doesn't have something to rag on?

Great action packed scenes. Decent dialogue. Cool costumes. Wonder Woman! Nothing wrong with the acting or actors.

I used to collect Batman comics and find I can be far more critical of the last batman movies than BvS. This just felt more like a Batman movie than most to me.

Oh well... I'll be one of the few looking forward to the next one. And wow, I'm astonished with the hate for Ben. The guy isn't a bad actor. I think he's just got that kind of face people like to rag on.

I won't post spoilers yet, but has anyone caught the Ultimate Cut?

As someone who already found the movie satisfying, it genuinely managed to pump it up further. Really great to see some extra scenes, some extended scenes that were sorely needed for people that weren't particularly willing to extrapolate, and validate a lot of the thoughts the "pro-BvS" people had in regards to how things were supposed to be interpreted - this cut explains some stuff with much more totality.

Some things that could have been better weren't, which was a bit gutting, but there is only so much you can do with 30 minutes. As with most films, just a few little character decisions that didn't add up well, or could have been explored better. Can think of a few that didn't end up improved by this cut unfortunately.

Overall, it isn't going to win over anyone that found this movie abhorrent, but it is superior to the theatrical release, and has me even further pumped for Justice League. Some of the artistry in some of the framing and shots is just beautiful. Like I want bloody posters of certain frames beautiful. And Lex Luthor manages to deliver one of my favourite sentences from this type of movie - for some reason it has stuck with me massively just now. Really enjoyable dialogue/wordsmithing.

It doesn't really fix the story itself, although it dwells better on Luthor's plan and motivation a lot better, as well as Clark's, but the flaw and editing problems are mostly gone. Definitely superior to the theatrical cut for sure. I ended feeling a lot more for Superman somehow. Let's be clear though, it's not the Superman most people here are so hung up on, but it's a guy with extraordinary powers who tries to do the right thing, only to have it backfire at him every single time. And despite that he keeps fighting for his ungrateful adoptive earthians and dies, albeit a bit stupidly, for them.
So if you hated the movie for anything other than the bad pacing and editing, chances are you'll still hate it, otherwise it's definitely an improvement.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back