Artsabers Issues: Help with non working Proffie Lightsaber

FWIW, MJF, both 4str0m3ch and FLS89 are on the next logical steps following those which I was attempting to cover with you. The third party tech seemed to think it was a hardware issue - so I'd hoped to help you rule those out before blindly dismissing them by jumping into config files and such. Eating an apple requires biting into one side or the other (or the other, and so on...) but in the end, all sides lead to the same core.

FWIW, MJF, both 4str0m3ch and FLS89 are on the next logical steps following those which I was attempting to cover with you. The third party tech seemed to think it was a hardware issue - so I'd hoped to help you rule those out before blindly dismissing them by jumping into config files and such. Eating an apple requires biting into one side or the other (or the other, and so on...) but in the end, all sides lead to the same core.
You don’t know if it’s possible for him to be able to generate the config that’s currently on his proffie do you? Like I’m assuming this isn’t feasible, but just wanted to check. Something like having Arduino spit out the config that was flashed to the board. So basically the inverse of the normal process.

You don’t know if it’s possible for him to be able to generate the config that’s currently on his proffie do you? Like I’m assuming this isn’t feasible, but just wanted to check. Something like having Arduino spit out the config that was flashed to the board. So basically the inverse of the normal process.
If we can see the way the board is wired, we can make a good guesstimate.

Based upon what I understand, there exists no conventional method to extract a config file from a proffie. Arduino merges the config.h parameters with the ProffieOS.ino instructions to compile the OS specifically-designed for the lightsaber in question. Once written to the board, the two cannot be unjoined.

If we can see the way the board is wired, we can make a good guesstimate.

To take that a step further, if one fully understands how it's wired, a fully-working config file can be generated - utilizing the font files he already has installed on his SD card.

Based upon what I understand, there exists no conventional method to extract a config file from a proffie. Arduino merges the config.h parameters with the ProffieOS.ino instructions to compile the OS specifically-designed for the lightsaber in question. Once written to the board, the two cannot be unjoined.
Ok thanks, yea that’s what I figured.

Worst case the board can just be reflashed with a new config. To be honest that’s not that tough. Like I said, I have a Luke saber config that would work as a starting point, he just needs to rename all the font sections with the updated folder names he has. The music tracks won’t line up, but I think that’s a minor issue and can be remedied later if needed.

excepts from some PMs…

Are you ready for this? A few days ago a guy reaches out to me with your same exact problem..

…Long story short this is his own saber with the same exact problem.. he and I were trouble shooting and this morning he found the answer.…

…The set screw pushes the chassis down, not making contact with one of the connectors.. a simple piece of tape centers the chassis again and it works fine…

It sounds like all he did was put a piece a tape on the chassis, on the opposite side of the control box. So when it slides in it stays straight

It wouldn’t hurt to try just place tape down the side of it, like some thin tape starting off. I bet this is your problem because when we were talking it was the same exact damn thing
while I haven’t done the tape thing yet, this does seem to be the answer. I took the chassis and jammed it inside the hilt with my hand a pressed it tight and the blade lit up. Currently the blade lighting is about 6 inches short but it might be the battery so I am charging it up.

excepts from some PMs…

while I haven’t done the tape thing yet, this does seem to be the answer. I took the chassis and jammed it inside the hilt with my hand a pressed it tight and the blade lit up. Currently the blade lighting is about 6 inches short but it might be the battery so I am charging it up.

If that's the answer, then great. Very strange. But yes, I always put a piece of electrical top on top of my board because you never want to risk any of the solder/wires touching the inside of the hilt and shorting the board, which in turn will definitely fry everything.

If the blade is lighting up 6 inches short, this may be due to the config having a different number of Max LEDs specified than how many your blade has. One way to test this is to turn it on with the blade in, then do a "tip drag" (hold the saber with the emitter facing the floor, then usually the command is to hold the power button down and tap the pommel). See if the tip drag effect is actually lighting up the tip of the blade, or in your case, is the tip effect lighting up the part 6 inches from the end. If so, then the config is specified for fewer LEDs than what your blade has.

excepts from some PMs…

You’re blade being short could be selected in the options.. if it is a sn-pixel power the saber down, and hit the main button 6 times. She will then tell you a new blade length

Sounds good, hope it resolves all the issues. Also, just another recommendation is that if you want any other sound fonts on there, definitely tell whomever ends up fixing it because otherwise it would require you to mess with the config file or do some tricks on the SD card to get them to work.

Sounds good, hope it resolves all the issues. Also, just another recommendation is that if you want any other sound fonts on there, definitely tell whomever ends up fixing it because otherwise it would require you to mess with the config file or do some tricks on the SD card to get them to work.
What type of extension does a configure file usually have?

What type of extension does a configure file usually have?
The config file extension is literally just .h

If you want additional fonts on there, you need to add the sound fonts to the SD card, but also add code to the config for them to be read.

The other option is to just simply replace the sound fonts from any folder on the SD card that you don’t want with the font you do want. But you need to keep the folder named exactly as it was before. But in this method, you don’t need to mess with the config file.

The config file extension is literally just .h

If you want additional fonts on there, you need to add the sound fonts to the SD card, but also add code to the config for them to be read.

The other option is to just simply replace the sound fonts from any folder on the SD card that you don’t want with the font you do want. But you need to keep the folder named exactly as it was before. But in this method, you don’t need to mess with the config file.
God I hate these things so much. I seriously regret buying this thing. I’m going back to my The Empire Strikes Back toy lightsaber that made sounds when the air went through the hollow blade. That’s as technical as I want to get.

Haha I know it’s definitely confusing in the beginning. Before I did my first install I thought it was way too complicated to learn. Then it turned out to be as simple as just creating my first config file while watching the tutorial video and took about 2 hours total to have a ready to go proffie board. Then every one after that takes about 20 minutes.

God I hate these things so much. I seriously regret buying this thing. I’m going back to my The Empire Strikes Back toy lightsaber that made sounds when the air went through the hollow blade. That’s as technical as I want to get.
The thing with ProffieOS is that there's a bit of a curve to get it set up and do your first flash, but after that it can just be copy pasting.

Once you get it working correctly MJF you’re gonna love it

If I can put this behind me, I think I will be more interested in learning. Honestly, I don’t want more fonts, I want less fonts. I’m not fan of the weird sounds and light effects. I really just want it to turn on and look and sound like Luke’s Return of the Jedi lightsaber in the movies. The only exception is that I like the music playing at times. It keeps me from having to hum along as I wield it.

If I can put this behind me, I think I will be more interested in learning. Honestly, I don’t want more fonts, I want less fonts. I’m not fan of the weird sounds and light effects. I really just want it to turn on and look and sound like Luke’s Return of the Jedi lightsaber in the movies. The only exception is that I like the music playing at times. It keeps me from having to hum along as I wield it.
I feel the same exact way, those non Star Wars fonts are cool, but not my style

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back