Another Zvezda Star Destroyer

Well, so far so good. I need to add some more filter to the roof panels which I will do over the next day or so to bring them into line with the main body.

I'll let you be the judge on whether or not the masking was worth it
i don't know if it was your plan to let it look like the imperial II-class star destroyer because you were on the right track with the super structer and that's how you should have done the rest of the ship...if it was your plan because this patterns can be seen throughout the whole ship. for the pannel lines i recommend a mechanical pencil 0.3 mm H instead of a wash

this is the Avenger class 2
49640246157_37c3dd4fd8_k.jpg

this is my class 2 isd
3.jpg

1.jpg

this is my class 2 isd
4.jpg
6.jpg

That is a seriously nice pair of SDs right there. The tremendous amount of effort on your behalf is massively evident. I hope you won awards for them! Are they kits or scratch built?
As for what one Im going for; I am not aiming to reproduce either. In fact, I am not replicating any of the classes, I'm just doing my own thing and going with what looks good rather than what was on the screen. I know some people don't like that and its perfectly fine. Each to their own :)
I too will be using a pencil to add in some more panels here and there but Im mostly using the kit supplied lines as a guide.
I realise that some of the panels are quite large, but this is for 2 reasons, with the main one being that I wanted mine to look a little more cobbled together. Whole sections replaced or patched up before the ship is sent back out. The second, lesser reason being that this build has been going on long enough and I just want it done. Im getting over it and, I think, so is everyone else here and on other forums. But I have invested so much time already that it would be a shame to waste said time if I don't finish it.
Thankyou for sharing your pics, they're seriously beautiful and I appreciate your feedback.

That is a seriously nice pair of SDs right there. The tremendous amount of effort on your behalf is massively evident. I hope you won awards for them! Are they kits or scratch built?
As for what one Im going for; I am not aiming to reproduce either. In fact, I am not replicating any of the classes, I'm just doing my own thing and going with what looks good rather than what was on the screen. I know some people don't like that and its perfectly fine. Each to their own :)
I too will be using a pencil to add in some more panels here and there but Im mostly using the kit supplied lines as a guide.
I realise that some of the panels are quite large, but this is for 2 reasons, with the main one being that I wanted mine to look a little more cobbled together. Whole sections replaced or patched up before the ship is sent back out. The second, lesser reason being that this build has been going on long enough and I just want it done. Im getting over it and, I think, so is everyone else here and on other forums. But I have invested so much time already that it would be a shame to waste said time if I don't finish it.
Thankyou for sharing your pics, they're seriously beautiful and I appreciate your feedback.
thanks you'r welcome
that's absolutely the right attitude that you have...a love that. there is only one rule: your model your rules ! do what ever you want to do with your model and only how you like it. on the pictures it is always the same model except for picture 1 that is the avenger class 2 star destroyer original studio model from "a new hope" photographed at the star wars identities exhibition. and my model is just like yours a zvezda/revell 1:2700 star destroyer. i would never call myself an expert but i did so much research and saw so many pimped zvezda/revell star destroyer kits that i can say without a doubt that your build is under the top 2 builds i saw online over the years. your detail work is just unbelievable...fantastic ! Unfortunately, as I had to find out, there is not much left to see from the details I added after painting. I was waiting for some updates on your paintjob when I realized that you've been working on the model for a total of 4 years. about as long as me. of course with a lot of breaks in between where i either waited for material or just had other projects in between. I think it was the same for you. and i'm still not done i'm painting the underside. I'm very excited to see your end result and how you display it. here are a few more pics without paint of my isd. I hope you don't mind if I post them in your thread

0001.png
0002.png
0003.png
0004.jpg

I have no problems with sharing images. I really like what you did to yours. I just wish now I had paid more attention to the engine block, in particular, underneath the outer engine bells. By the time I realised that there was detail missing, it was too late. Funny how something so obvious can slip by unnoticed.
Like you, I've had to take multiple small breaks to avoid burnout. I still have the base to finish yet. The worst thing about that is that the concept keeps changing and I really have to reign in the enthusiasm to keep it inline with my skill levels

Last edited:
I have no problems with sharing images. I really like what you did to yours. I just wish now I had paid more attention to the engine block, in particular, underneath the outer engine bells. By the time I realised that there was detail missing, it was too late. Funny how something so obvious can slip by unnoticed.
Like you, I've had to take multiple small breaks to avoid burnout. I still have the base to finish yet. The worst thing about that is that the concept keeps changing and I really have to reign in the enthusiasm to keep it inline with my skill levels
ok yeah that's right...if you see the modifications you made to the rest of the ship then you neglected the engine section a bit...hahaha. anyway i guess your isd looks absolutely stunning when it's all done. I also have the feeling that it is one of the few models in which I will often turn on the lighting, which is otherwise rarely the case. and at some point it has to be over, for my part, I've had enough of this thing for now and I'll be glad if I don't have to touch it anymore in a few days

LOL, thanks Steven. I reckon if I had known how much work I was getting myself in for, I probably wouldn't have started it either. Its a bit like Pringles - once you start, you can't stop. It really depends on what result you want at the end. Speaking of the end, I'm going to have to think about that some more because I have no idea on where I am going to display this as I have no more shelf space...

yes, it would've been nice of Zvezda to do that as well, but I think Bandai are pretty unique with things like that.
Believe it or not, the drilling didn't take as long as I thought it would. LOL, mind you, that was only the drilling and not the mind numbing threading
I totally agree with you... drilling the holes is a lot less work than you would imagine although I drilled everything by hand and drilled so many holes that I later laid 350 meters of fiber optic cable. the first 30 holes are tedious but once you get the hang of it it's super fast. detailing the whole ship was most time consuming at least for me. but I made 2 huge mistakes that should definitely be avoided. I glued the ship together at the very beginning and only when I started drilling the holes did I realize that it would have been so much less trouble if I had glued it together at the end. second mistake: i did not orgenize the fiber optic cable well from the beginning.

when it comes to plastic star wars kits...bandai did the most screen accurate kits but i still don't really like them at all...except for the perfect grade millennium falcon, their models are all so tiny that it looks like you're collecting smurfs when you have a few of them on a shelf.
and unfortunately it doesn't have much to do with model making anymore. It's more like lego...zero challenge.
I don't think we can ever expect a bigger isd from bandai than the ones that are already on the market. it just doesn't fit into their portfolio. most japanese people live in very tiny apartments and don't have room for big models.

I’m sorry, all I hear is “over, and over, and over”… by Hot Chip, listen to it once and you’ll know what I mean.

If you haven’t heard it, here’s the official YouTube video (disregard the actual video, just listen to the song and imagine yourself laying down those one by one…)

YouTube Link: “Over and Over” by Hot Chip

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back