Another Han Solo ANH for your viewing pleasure... PIC HEAVY

Well I finally caved and bought the Dawn Anderson pattern this morning. I don't really have the time or patience to try and draft my own right now, so I figured I should keep the momentum of the project up before it completely halts. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of this week so I can get a prototype whipped up this weekend. Keep your eyes peeled for updates.

I seriously thought that was a studio picture of Hayden Christensen in his Anakin outfit. All very nicely done man. Off topic, but how are the custom 1/6 g-stars comin along? going to be awesome when you finish them

Re: Another Han Solo ANH for your viewing pleasure...

Does anyone know what kind of blue jeans they used as the base fro the pants or were they custom made?

I am of the belief that they are some sort of equestrian riding pant and not denim. At least I'm definitely convinced of the for the ESB and ROTJ pants. I've never really seen a good picture of the seat of the ANH pants, but the brown pants from the sequels have a rounded seam through the seat of the pants which gives them more freedom of movement. You can see a similar seam in many military BDU's.

If anyone has any evidence to contradict me on the blue ANH pants, I'd love to see it. Good luck with your new costume!

I seriously thought that was a studio picture of Hayden Christensen in his Anakin outfit. All very nicely done man. Off topic, but how are the custom 1/6 g-stars comin along? going to be awesome when you finish them

Thanks, man! To my surprise, I've had quite a few people tell me I looked like Hayden in that pic. I think I only resemble him, but it works for me. :cool

1/6 G-Stars are on the back burner at the moment. Hopefully I can get to them sometime this summer.

even your jack sparrow you have a resemblence. but as far as the Hayden pic, seriously look just like him there.
lookin forward to the finished product of the g-stars. many people will be jealous of those. I wish I knew how to sew things like this.

Sure looks like denim:

ANHDenimpose.jpg

They did have the riding seam though, just like in ESB and ROTJ...

I am of the belief that they are some sort of equestrian riding pant and not denim. At least I'm definitely convinced of the for the ESB and ROTJ pants. I've never really seen a good picture of the seat of the ANH pants, but the brown pants from the sequels have a rounded seam through the seat of the pants which gives them more freedom of movement. You can see a similar seam in many military BDU's.

If anyone has any evidence to contradict me on the blue ANH pants, I'd love to see it. Good luck with your new costume!

Sure looks like denim:

Agreed! That picture is a very convincing argument for denim. Now to play devil's advocate: Are we sure those are the same trousers used in the movie and not just for the photo session? I only ask becuase the blood stripes aren't visible in that picture. I'd like to believe the movie version is denim also for comfort and convienence sake.

I think the lack of reference is going to hurt regarding the pants, but not enough to keep the project from happening.

The problem I'm facing now, regarding the pants, is the weave of the denim. I can't tell if they are for sure a twill, like most denim, as I've found a fantastic colored denim that is not a twill weave (not sure what to call it).

they could be simply darkl blue polyester and cotton pants since those were very popular type of pants in the 70's and have seen some that look just like denim, and in the pics with Chewy just how they fit and sit not really as stiff as denim would be. the look like a thinner loser type of material like the polyester/cotton pants were, just a thought. also what about a brushed denim as far as the weave type if they are indeed denim...?

They definitely are denim, there's actually one at Jo-Ann that's a great match. they don't have the "twill weave" you're talking about, it's more of the vertical faded stripes of color, which is an even worse description of a weave. Check out Jo-Ann though and you'll find one that will work well.

they could be simply darkl blue polyester and cotton pants since those were very popular type of pants in the 70's and have seen some that look just like denim, and in the pics with Chewy just how they fit and sit not really as stiff as denim would be. the look like a thinner loser type of material like the polyester/cotton pants were, just a thought. also what about a brushed denim as far as the weave type if they are indeed denim...?

The Dressing A Galaxy book states that the ANH pants were in fact made of brushed denim, but that is the extent of it.

They definitely are denim, there's actually one at Jo-Ann that's a great match. they don't have the "twill weave" you're talking about, it's more of the vertical faded stripes of color, which is an even worse description of a weave. Check out Jo-Ann though and you'll find one that will work well.

I thought I found an almost perfect match there the other day, then my mom said she found what I posted above in her endless supply of fabric (her basement literally looks like a mini fabric store). I'll check out Jo-Ann's again.

For those who have purchased patterns from Dawn Anderson, did it take ridiculously long? I ordered my "in stock" pattern last Monday (3/12), and still do not have it. I tried the customer service number listed in their paypal and it is out of service, so I'm waiting on an e-mail from them regarding the issue. 10 days to ship an in stock item to Michigan from Virginia seems a bit much.

It's been a couple of years so my memory is a little fuzz, but I ordered the Falcon Jacket pattern, and I believe it arrived within a couple of weeks and was a reasonable shipping time.

Glad to hear it. I mean, apparently they do get shipped out as that's the only pattern people talk about. I'm just surprised in the delay so far.

I'm now at 2 weeks of waiting for communication and/or the falcon jacket pattern from Dawn Anderson. It doesn't help that I'm generally impatient as it is. If I wasn't so busy with school I'd have drafted my own by now. :(

Well, another week has gone by. I'm starting to think Dawn Anderson Designs has followed the path to the dark side. I still have 23 days to report the issue to paypal, so I'll keep waiting a bit longer... just incase.

I've tried their customer service number again in hopes of it working. Nope. Still disconnected. I've also e-mailed info@dawnandersondesigns.com, sales@dawnandersondesigns.com, and admin@dawnandersondesigns.com on 3 separate occassions already.

No one else has had this issue with them?

Well, it took 9 e-mails and a paypal dispute to get a response regarding the pattern. Four weeks to the day of ordering and it finally arrived.
IMG01553-20120414-1640.jpg

For those who may still be interested in buying this pattern, Dawn told me that she will be closing shop very soon for personal reasons. If you can handle a wait, you may want to grab a pattern soon.

With finishing my senior engineering project for school yesterday, I finally have a weekend to get back to work on "me" projects. I think I'll have some beers and finally get started on a prototype vest. No more whining in this thread... for now. LOL

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back