ANH Pyro X-Wing References - Mainly: Red 6 Search

Am i really dumb or just 30 yrs too late. I've only just realized (after getting my new book) That all the model shots of Luke Leaving Dagobah and flying off at the end He is flying the red 3 hero. I never knew that. Should pay more attention.

You guys are worried about which ship Luke is flying in ESB?

Didn't you notice, the Wookie still has NO PANTS!:lol

Going OT for a second or two, anybody noticed the Red 5 armature in the MOTESB book ?...its on the shelving along with the Slave and Ion cannon.

lee

Yeah, that, and I think they just had Red 3 on the brain for some reason. Perhaps to do with all the landing gear mod work done on it for the Dagobah scenes?

Or maybe Red 5 was sitting in a case in George's office at the time, or something like that. Damn shame it was ever taken out, if so.

The full scale ship in Star Wars had Red 2's paint scheme, but only one wing stripe. Can't recall re the one for ESB.

Pretty sure that in ANH each of the hero X-Wings was used to represent another ship on screen more often than not, with the possible exception being Red 5, but I'm not even sure about that one, since it was apparently their favorite for beauty passes.

So yes, it's probably fair to say that these miniatures were interchangeable to the filmmakers from the beginning.

In ESB they only needed one of the original hero models for all of their shots, so they chose Red 3. I'd like to think they selected that model because of the partially destructive surgery they needed to perform in several places in order to add landing gear for the Dagobah swamp scenes. But that's just one guess.

It's amazing as well how many shots have two Red 5s in them.The profile shot of Luke, Biggs and Wedge is done with 2 Red 5s and Red 2. Like they just couldn't be bothered - or didn't have the time - to take the thing off the stand.

Seems perhaps the actual reason they built so many heroes was never so they could pedantically portray each pilot's ship, but solely for two or three shots where a number of ships need to be on model-movers together and filmed at the same time - principally the peeling shot where four ships peel off and dive, and the wing-opening shot. If it weren't for the handful of shots like this, they could've gotten away with making only 2 models for the whole film, which surely would've been their preference given their impossible deadline and all.

I've been chirping this out for years, but I think that they originally intended to accurately portray each ship. The fact that there are reference images that display the pilots' names and call-signs seems to back this up:
blue4compressedlz0.jpg

The reason that the finished movie has the mixed up X-wings is that Fox wouldn't give Lucas the extra money that he asked for to complete the effects photography.

As for Red 3 in EMPIRE, it may simply have been that they couldn't lay their hands on Red 5 (this strikes me as a little bit unlikely, because the full-size X-wings in EMPIRE look like Red 5), or they knew that people just didn't notice the difference, but I think that another possible explanation is that Red 3 was easier to work with. The tank fender on the rear of Red 5 was added during the filming of STAR WARS, and my guess is that it's there to cover up some damage which had been done when they had to crack into Red 5 to repair the wing mechanism inside.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back