ANH Pyro X-Wing References - Mainly: Red 6 Search

Interesting...very interesting!

Thank you, thank you for posting this...it most definitely has a production pedigree. Looking over my JE fuselage pattern right now and grinning. :cool

These shots are really going to help me re-integrate its canopy and match up that handmade production fuselage geometry, which just happens to be what I'm working on this month. Great timing! Very cool of you to go to the trouble of scanning and posting these here.

Thanks again!

Is that torpedo tube clayed up? Just wondering if that's why there's a blob in the casting - to take care of having no undercut.

Lots of tiny bubbles on the edges all over the casting. Things we usually never notice about the studio scale models?

Is that torpedo tube clayed up? Just wondering if that's why there's a blob in the casting - to take care of having no undercut.

Probably just mold damage created by pulling multiple castings, especially where there are deep undercuts like there are in the torpedo tubes. You can see it developing along the wing root area as well.

Lots of tiny bubbles on the edges all over the casting. Things we usually never notice about the studio scale models?

The pyro models were made out self-skinning foam, in a thin, 2mm or so, cross-section. Anywhere where the surface of that self-skinning foam has been disturbed, you see a lot of bubbles. If you look closely at pics of the Dave Jones pyro model that was auctioned off a few years back, you'll see what I mean.

BTW, that could just as well be a solid casting that we're looking at in these particular pics...plenty of reasons why you get bubbles in resin castings.

Last edited:
Re: Looking for Pictures of Studio Model Red 6 from ANH

I know this is a long shot, but is there any way you could email the pics of red 6 you have? the ones on here won't show on my computer.

Here's a collage I made of all the photos I have.

Red 6 Collage.jpg

Last edited:
kg_red_6-003.jpgkg_red_6-002-1.jpgkg_red_6-005-1.jpgn701032562_2025694_3886670.jpgx-wing-dividing-red-6-mysterious-x-wing-red-laser-canon-screen-shot-2010-10-20-9.44.51-pm.jpg

I think that's it, or at least all that I'm aware of, and they're all properly oriented. You have to be careful many of these are often posted flipped.

Last edited:
Found one more from the "old" Chronicles, really disappointed the new Chronicles didn't have any more from red 6 as it's obvious there are more photos of this being painted

IMG_20170219_144838.jpg

Cool picture. I've got a few "pyro bones" pictures I've collected over the years. This one is from John Eaves. I match marked the wings to the famous Joe Viskocil/Joe Johnston picture from the making of Ep IV.

Attachments

• viskocil pyro pieces 76 77 by john eaves merged.jpg
    viskocil pyro pieces 76 77 by john eaves merged.jpg
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 265
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back