ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

Anyone offering the bull barrel will have to bear in mind the differences in size for Denix, MGC and real Mauser, right?

Yes and no, it seems. The same barrel diameter could work for all, but the Chamfers and Flat area would have to be Version Specific from real to replicas. Not to mention possible measurement variances between real Mausers, which may or may not be an issue.

-Carson

Regarding "kit" - it is no good idea for a company to try making unlicensed SW-stuff. :confused You better fly under the radar with very limited numbers, or go the license way (with all it´s impact on prices).

Good point. :thumbsup It may work as a piece by piece run though. Start with one, move on to the next? Wouldn't be a full replica or a kit then.. at least until you've collected all the parts and have begun assembling them. ;)

-Carson

at any rate, we can move forward and try to perfect the other parts, grill , scope mount, disk size and type(recessed or not etc.

at any rate, we can move forward and try to perfect the other parts, grill , scope mount, disk size and type(recessed or not etc.

Definitely!:thumbsup :D

What does everyone else think about the Barrel Sight/Greeblie? It really is hard to tell with the references available, but to me in lonepigeon's picture the MR style antenna looks about right. But the T-track is the only thing that really looks a little 'funny' to me. Definitely something separating the antennas, but can't quite tell what exactly.

-Carson

The t-track on the Han blaster is supposed to be broken.

Definitely!:thumbsup :D

What does everyone else think about the Barrel Sight/Greeblie? It really is hard to tell with the references available, but to me in lonepigeon's picture the MR style antenna looks about right. But the T-track is the only thing that really looks a little 'funny' to me. Definitely something separating the antennas, but can't quite tell what exactly.

-Carson

I still think the based on the blue image, The one from the hero with the fake Harrison Ford, shows the sight but you can not see the ball end of the antenna, only the rod sticking out the back.

The green HERO shows only the sight. and the base a bit but it is A LOT smaller apperaing that the one Kurtyboy posted. The T track base looks like it sticks up way too much to match the pics.

Do any reference pics from the actual movie show the sight like that?

Anyone have better shots they can share? Lonepigeon?

Also can you please chime in about the height of the sight and antenna issue.

Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

sightworkingcopy.jpg

The t-track on the Han blaster is supposed to be broken.

Antenna aside: If it was supposed to be a SIGHT and it broke while filming would they have not fixed it?

And that type of material is pretty tough! I think the whole thing would have come off (glue) before they could have broken it!

Kurtyboy, you have a sample of this on your sight and had to cut it to fit. How hard would it be to break it? Can you snap it or does it bend?

Makes sense to have a front sight since it has a rear.

I think it was shaped like the drawing and similar to the MR short version, but with a thinner base to let it sit better on the barrel No reason the prop guys couldnt have taken a belt sander to the botton and thinned it and rounded it to sit flush with the barrel.

Last edited:

Too bad MGC doesn't make them any more. Anybody know what happened to them?
MGC went bankrupt in the 90's, started over again as "New MGC" and ceased to be once again in 2007. During that time, they produced mostly Colt 1911 variants.
MGC did announce new releases in 2009 :confused as a 50th anniversary thing. All production ceased in 2010.

"Modern" MGC Broomhandle replicas would not be interesting to us anyway - Japan's current legislation doesn't allow full metal replicas. Those were manufactured between the 60's - late 80's. MGC's last model guns were made of mainly "heavy" ABS. Model guns in the 60's were sometimes made of steel, but legislatory changes forced the manufacturers to gradually start using softer alloys. And no, there were no steel Mausers made to my knowledge...

The old MGC Mausers can also be found under the name RMI. RMI - Replica Models Inc. - was a company that was created for overseas sales, as MGC wasn't allowed to use their own brand outside Japan.

The early Mausers were either dummy guns or paper cap firing, while the later (80's) versions are full-fledged plug fire cap guns. PFC guns - most likely used in ESB and ROTJ - are recognized by the backwards-sitting firing pin in the chamber (PFC caps are ignited in the front, "bullet" part). Early MGC Mausers have generally no logos or proof marks, only "JAPAN" stamped underneath the mag.

The MGC tools were sold to various makers. Japan replica company KSC bought a lot of them.

In a way, model guns are like Graflex and MPP flash guns; there is a considerable community out there that collects and cherishes them, and the old metal model guns are slowly becoming scarce. A lot of MGC Mausers and Sterlings have been "destroyed" by Star Wars prop replica builders... model gun collectors are not too keen on someone hacking off the barrels of their babies. With that in mind, the Denix is not a bad base for DL-44's (heck, even the MR Solo ANH is based on a Denix). It's cheap, it's currently mass-produced and therefore accessible. It's not too hard to pimp a Denix to a satisfactory level of "accuracy".

Making a blaster kit fit for the MGC is the extravagant alternative, producing a kit for the Denix is the way to make it available to a larger extent.

Well I used a Denix because I couldn't get myself to modify a perfectly good, firing Mauser! :p

If someone does a kit, I'd go for prop accuracy. I generally prefer a replica of what the in universe item looks like, but I don't think there's anything on the ANH blaster that makes you think it wouldn't be there in the SW universe. I would also make it for people who probably have a Dremel and some common tools that a fairly well equipped garage (your's or you dads'/grandfather's) would have.

Also a lot of people on here probably still have blasters made from Bobadebt's kits, like me, so they are familiar with disassembling the Denix. If they aren't I'm guessing Bobadebt or someone here has the tutorial he made for doing so.

You have to look at the Merr Sonn for the antenna sight details...

Has the antenna been identified at all? It looks so familiar...

Edit: Also, do you happen know if there has been any similar but different antennas seen on any other SW props?

-Carson

wow Gatekeeper, you know a lot about this subject!

Thanks.

I'd agree wit you and Jason that the Denix is the best practical replica to use. IF you are lucky enough to have the MGC or want to use a real Decom. Mauser, more power to ya. The parts should fit all anyway.

one thought, A Mauser/MGC needs to disassembles like a Mauser... but a DL-44 Laser Blaster doesn't need to.

I'm sure a Laser Blaster from another Galaxy wouldn't have the same parts as a 19th century Earth gun.... but then again...

Hey kpax

This is the Replica PROP Forum, not "just" the Blaster Builders Club ;)
Our goal is to archieve accuracy and that includes to reproduce all details of a particular prop...well at least it is MY goal :lol

So I won´t settle with "a" DL44, but want "THE" Han ANH hero (in this case)....built, detailed and functional as close to the SU item as possible :cool

And I know I am not alone ;)

Markus

wow Gatekeeper, you know a lot about this subject!

Thanks.

I'd agree wit you and Jason that the Denix is the best practical replica to use. IF you are lucky enough to have the MGC or want to use a real Decom. Mauser, more power to ya. The parts should fit all anyway.

You're very welcome. MGC replicas are often discussed on the RPF, but their very special history tends to be overshadowed by ROTJ E-11 and general DL-44 builds.
I collect MGC/RMI model guns as well as Star Wars stuff, and I would have a hard time converting my Mauser into a blaster. Sticking with Denix for the time being... :)

Good eye!

Not really.

The flashhider on the pic is missing a complete row of holes, so it can´t be the original MG81 flashhider.

Whats left? A cast replica, probably a Merr-Sonn. It had a solid resin flashhider, so it could be a half filled hole, or anything else.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back