ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Satin black enamel. Not gloss

Paint the scope knob and weather to taste. The real scopes' knobs were fully painted. At least two of my real ones are.

Grips: birchwood Casey TRU OIL kit.

Last edited:
nope... the original props had blued steel finish... MAYBE the barrel was black OX... but it looks like blued steel to me. It's still debated whether the lower frame was painted due to no one really knowing how the mystery disc is achieved, so that may be painted. The scope mount cross bar is clearly painted. The scope is standard finish for the HW 3x: Blued steel and painted brass.

42218-star-wars_833648f8.jpg

ANH_hero-cc.jpg

ANH_hero-cc2.jpg

anh_hero55.jpg

anh_heroclose.png

realhs.jpg

tumblr_lsiep7k1uA1qmnqf0o1_1280.jpg

Now for you aluminum kit folks... I'd try aluminum black before painting.

Did mine last night with Blacken-It on the Denix and brass and Aluminum Black on the aluminum and it came out really well. I used satin black enamel on the scope and it looks OK, but I may strip it and try the Blacken-It, instead. Still needs "sight" and antennae greeblies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
a6ybu5u4.jpg
vyjagu2a.jpg

Last edited:
Since I missed the run, I'm making my bull barrel from scratch. PVC pipe and two-part plumbers' epoxy putty.

Side view, before:

DSC00132_zps389fe2f4.jpg

...and after:

DSC00135_zps6a4df0cb.jpg

The receiver end, before:

DSC00133_zpsc2814795.jpg

...and after:

DSC00136_zps728b8a2f.jpg

The other end, before:

DSC00134_zps64235cbb.jpg

...and after:

DSC00137_zps1409109a.jpg

Next is filler primer and sanding, repeated a few times. I'll flatten the bottom once I've got the breech readied. And speaking of...

jheilman had let his partially-modded Denix to gather dust for over a year since getting his MGC. He generously let me buy it from him. I have always loved the challenge of maing a silk purse out of a pig's ear. And the Denix is pret-ty piggy. Oy... A couple comparison shots of the Denix against my own C96:

DSC00143_zps45b2c375.jpg

DSC00145_zps2eb58aa7.jpg

DSC00144_zps2d735c51.jpg

DSC00148_zpsb58db91f.jpg

DSC00146_zps14e53d3c.jpg

I'm impressed at how well some parts line up, and astonished at how badly off other parts are. I've got a lot of grinding to do. The grip frame is at the wrong angle, too. Anyone know how well it bends? I need to get it angled a little further back. As I said earlier, I'm doing my own take on a Merr-Sonn. If I can ever finagle up a recoil booster and holeless flash hider, I intend to make it able to thread into the end of the bull barrel, so I can turn he Model 44 into the Power 5. ;) And, because those cast resin props were a pretty undifferentiated black, including the grips, I decided to skip the usual grooved style and get some replicas of early variant "guttapercha"/phenolic resin grips scales Mauser offered:

DSC00156_zpsf47b3f5f.jpg

I like the checkered grip texture and the 'WM' monogram (for Waffenfabrik Mauser). I intend to smooth out the monogram and inset a cut Imperial cog there. Here's one of the scales relative to the Denix's grip frame:

DSC00150_zps030ed7d5.jpg

...overlaid:

DSC00152_zps62215df7.jpg

...and end-on:

DSC00153_zps83738b27.jpg

So yeah, I have some work to do. *chuckle* I also have a bit of T-track on the way, and plan to get the pully/disc and the cylinder halves and pushrods out of part of my February costume budget. Only things I haven't gotten at least sourced are the recoil booster and flash hider, and that stupid plug-and-cord along the top.

--Jonah

nope... the original props had blued steel finish... MAYBE the barrel was black OX... but it looks like blued steel to me.
The Mauser still looks more brownish and the scope more blueish.
Original Mausers are blued, but there are many different types of steel alloys, and there are a few different ways to hot-blue a steel part. Plus, the Mauser could have been oiled differently.

When bluing steel, the resulting color can be anything from brownish to dark plum, depending on 1)carbon content and 2)oil treament.
(In reality, the term "bluing" is kinda misleading - the process actually blackens steel - it's the oiling that brings out the blue shade.)
The grip frame is at the wrong angle, too. Anyone know how well it bends?
Not well at all. It's likely to break if bended.

I wasn't really intending to dive into this thing just yet, but the inaccuracies were starting to bug me and the front sight was keeping me from test-fitting the bull barrel, so I took a hacksaw to the barrel. Dear Denix, thank you so much for making the barrel solid -- makes it tons easier to saw through. :rolleyes Then I started on the next bit back -- the breech, side rails, and the bottom cut-out... Some time with hacksaw, Dremel, calipers, and elbow grease later, I've got a pretty good start on roughing in where things should actually be:

DSC00157_zpsc29056ad.jpg

DSC00158_zpsc1cb4b8a.jpg

DSC00159_zps3bc7baec.jpg

DSC00160_zps526b5f1b.jpg

Here, y'all can see the worked-on left side compared to the unmodified right side:

DSC00162_zps0f2c54c5.jpg

...and side-by-side with my Mauser:

DSC00163_zpsce9c4db8.jpg

And here are a couple with th ebull barrel loosely fitted. Not all the way to the breech -- still much work to do yet, but it looks about the right size, and I have an idea where I'll need to flatten the bottom:

DSC00164_zpse59165eb.jpg

DSC00165_zpsf4ef423c.jpg

Damn my compulsions. :p Gonna get this receiver bashed into shape. A question -- how have folks who have worked on these gotten the bolt out? Is the spring anything like in a real Mauser's bolt?

--Jonah

The bolt comes out easy enough but the "spring/firing pin" stay in. I think that is peened in. You can grind the would be (screw/firing pin) down from the bolt side to let the hammer sit flatter but it stays in. I think you would have to drill it out to remove the spring etc.

I left it in.

maybe someone has tried to take it out?

I wasn't really intending to dive into this thing just yet, but the inaccuracies were starting to bug me and the front sight was keeping me from test-fitting the bull barrel, so I took a hacksaw to the barrel. Dear Denix, thank you so much for making the barrel solid -- makes it tons easier to saw through. :rolleyes Then I started on the next bit back -- the breech, side rails, and the bottom cut-out... Some time with hacksaw, Dremel, calipers, and elbow grease later, I've got a pretty good start on roughing in where things should actually be:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Officer/DSC00157_zpsc29056ad.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Officer/DSC00158_zpsc1cb4b8a.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Officer/DSC00159_zps3bc7baec.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Officer/DSC00160_zps526b5f1b.jpg

Here, y'all can see the worked-on left side compared to the unmodified right side:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Officer/DSC00162_zps0f2c54c5.jpg

...and side-by-side with my Mauser:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Officer/DSC00163_zpsce9c4db8.jpg

And here are a couple with th ebull barrel loosely fitted. Not all the way to the breech -- still much work to do yet, but it looks about the right size, and I have an idea where I'll need to flatten the bottom:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Officer/DSC00164_zpse59165eb.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Officer/DSC00165_zpsf4ef423c.jpg

Damn my compulsions. :p Gonna get this receiver bashed into shape. A question -- how have folks who have worked on these gotten the bolt out? Is the spring anything like in a real Mauser's bolt?

--Jonah

Great looking builds, everyone!

In case any of you guys can use it, here's a 3d model of a basic Merr Sonn barrel with the booster attached and sized to fit the MGC or Denix. I didn't upload this one to shapeways due to their terms, but here's a link to download the model so it can be printed elsewhere.

Scroll down to the Click here to start download link on the following page. I'm not a big fan of using free file-upload sites, be sure not to click the wrong download link and accidentally download spyware/malware!

Merr Sonn Barrel - 3d Model

-Carson

Last edited:
scottjua, I'm in the middle of building a firing version with a real Mauser as well. A long way to go but here are a couple of pix:

I drilled three dimples around the barrel so the bull barrel would have a better grip to survive the forces of firing real rounds. I got the parts in steel and aluminum in case there are mass/inertia/recoil issues when I fire it.
DL 44 Progress-5.jpg

The DEC pieces fit perfectly without any modification, (aside from cutting the barrel of course).
DL 44 Progress-4.jpgDL 44 Progress-3.jpg

So far so good.
DL 44 Progress-1.jpg

And now it's time to mount the scope. I've discussed this with Pat and I'll probably silver solder or braze the threaded rods in place since I can't have a nut sticking out inside the magazine chamber. The trick will be to get enough surface area for a good bond along with making sure the threaded rods are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the long axis. I'm curious to know what you're planning.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Real Mauser on the way... project live fire will commence soon. ^_^ Wish me luck

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back