A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

Why do you need hope? Why not just do what Shaw does and "believe" that he loves Prometheus without proof?

And this is why you fail.

But... I won't derail further (Shaw is awesome!).

Back to Aliens 5. After seeing Elysium and Chappie, all I can hope is that someone else is writing Alien 5. I have ZERO faith in him to write something I will want to see.

I thought Elysium was...ok. The real issue I had with it was that he didn't do enough to make you give a crap about the characters. You were just thrust into the story and were expected to care because BIG POLITICAL STUFF IS IMPORTANT (also, cool visuals). The visuals were indeed cool, and he's definitely got an eye for solid action and design. No arguments there. But I didn't really care about or get to know these characters, and ultimately, I think that was the problem. It was just non-stop action, and in a way that...I dunno...seemed to lack real character.

Compare that to the relatively short original Mad Max. You don't know a ton about Max, but you get to care about him and what happens to him, and his revenge ride makes sense viscerally. It struck me that Elysium was lacking that, but boy did it look purdy.

I wasn't aware of all of the behind the scenes re-writes... all I knew was that Ridley Scott had put it out shortly before release that it wasn't going to be an Alien Prequel per se, and so that was the expectation I had going in. Because of that i think is why I wasn't disappointed in it. If I had known about the original intent at least i may have been bummed that they didn't go in that direction.

All of that said, I do still like alot of what i saw in it.. overall it's a good movie in my book.

Prometheus is flawed but the good still outweighs the not so good in my opinion. It also evokes a sense of wonder and not too many movies can do that for me anymore.

If this is to take place right after ALIENS, I wonder how they will handle the obvious age discrepancy?

If this is to take place right after ALIENS, I wonder how they will handle the obvious age discrepancy?

From what I have seen there is not official info that it will take place right after Aliens but simply after, or that it would "follow" the first two films, as I think they put it. No mentions of how much time has passed have been made as far as I know.

I don't think you can write off a director because of disappointing box office.

If they had did that with Speilburg after 1941 we would never have had raiders of the lost ark.

I don't think you can write off a director because of disappointing box office.

If they had did that with Speilburg after 1941 we would never have had raiders of the lost ark.
I wouldn't write off a director for poor box office draw.
But it's a director that makes a bad movie ... followed by another one, that's hard not to dismiss. Especially when the same weaknesses are apparent.

Blomkamp has a long way to go before you can compare him to Spielberg.

I am not sure what to feel about this.....my favorite will always be Aliens , if you cant tell...LOL...I am not sure how this could play out coming directly from Aliens , however the concept has got me intrigued . I want to believe that the script..... will in fact make an override of all the other failed attempts of other movies , but that is an extreme longshot. I want to see this because of the fan I have always been. my skeptic side....is truly worried . Prometheus was going really well for reasons explaining the engineers part in all this , in its original start , but I still felt, that this segment with the Space jockey, should have led to the first Alien film. JMO....but either way , I am excited to see another Aliens film, I just hope its not another failure to say the least

Same here. No idea where this will go and how much it will change the established time line or even replace it. Just please for the love of God, do the ALIENS right. No fleshy bull**** and no cannon fodder.

http://collider.com/neill-blomkamp-criticizes-elysium/

In this article, I think he correctly analyzes what his problem is: he gets more into the idea and the visuals alone than the actual telling of a story. Like, he comes up with a very compelling concept, and some awesome images to go with it....but it doesn't go beyond that. The story just...isn't there. I'd say that was the big problem in Elysium. There really wasn't much story. The characters themselves...aren't. They're like, outlines of characters that never got developed. Like, the merc dude. What's his story? He's just some merc dude who the corporation keeps on contract and...uh....that's about it. Matt Damon's character is an impoverished guy who's dying because his crap job killed him...and that's it. Oh, and he's kind of hung up on an ex, but not so you'd really notice. These aren't characters. These are blurbs that should then develop into characters. I watched this film on a plane and...that was really the best place to see it, I'd say. By contrast, I thought Oblivion was a much better realized concept.

I would hope that this helps him work better with Alien 5, but to be honest, even though he realizes this flaw about himself, I gather that Chappie suffers from the same "Not much of a story or characters here" problem, even though it, too, has great visual design.

Subtle reminder: Don't forget to watch District 9 ;).

Now, I know people say he makes the same movie, primarily of themes about repression of a lower class by a higher class/government/company. But if you think about it, that's the kind of theme that came up in the Alien films. Basically, the first film alone has the Nostromo crew, who are basically the working class, some of them not even getting equal pay (as we hear with Brett and Parker). And the company knowingly sent them to the ship, and then makes the crew expendable so that they can get the alien to create a weapon, which could mean more money in their pockets. In the second and third films, this is even more true, as Ripley is not just dealing with the alien threat, she's also dealing with the company threats.

So... with that in mind, if Blomkamp has done nothing but "make the same movie" which deals with oppression and fighting the system, then his Alien 5 won't be out of place, even more so since its going back to the Aliens, because the first three have that theme within them (even Alien: Resurrection has a bit of that theme, but its been reduced down to one character, Call, trying to fight the system).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back