A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

People have mentioned the way Blomkamp is doing the same movie (or same world) over and over again. True that! He could do the story from the Alien's point of vue and I would buy a ticket:behave...no, seriously. He's a good starter, but not a good ender:unsure

Still better than most these days.

Seems like a bit more of a mixed bag as far as our community is concerned. And I am seeing the same online.

I think that he is going to have to prove a lot! STORY/VISUALIZATION... Bring back the look and feel of the first two. Throw in several outstanding actors to fill the cast/STORY. Then he has way to blow our socks off.

Yeah, that was an awful idea haha.

As dumb as it is, I don't actually completely object to Resurrection (though I LOATHED IT in first viewing, when I went back years later it was passable) so I'm probably easy to please in some ways. Though I don't expect another masterpiece like the first two films were, if it's at least watchable, I'll be happy. BUT, I'll be really, really, really put off if NB shoves in some heavy handed political parable, which seems to be his thing. If he can be restrained from his ham handed didacticism, I'll be relieved.

Yeah, that was an awful idea haha.

As dumb as it is, I don't actually completely object to Resurrection (though I LOATHED IT in first viewing, when I went back years later it was passable) so I'm probably easy to please in some ways. Though I don't expect another masterpiece like the first two films were, if it's at least watchable, I'll be happy. BUT, I'll be really, really, really put off if NB shoves in some heavy handed political parable, which seems to be his thing. If he can be restrained from his ham handed didacticism, I'll be relieved.

The thing about Resurrection is that, as just some generic alien sci-fi spam-in-a-can film, it's decent. "Passable" is a good word. Pop the disc in, have a pizza, drink a beer. Nothin' special. Unfortunately, in a lot of fans' minds, the title almost translated to "Aliens: Redemption" or at least they hoped it would....and it did not. It was just a mediocre film, following hot on the heels of a really disappointing film. I honestly think that each of the subsequent Alien films (including the AVP stuff) have been like this. People keep hoping the next one will be the one that "saves" the franchise, and it just...never does. I haven't played Isolation, but I gather the same is true with videogames. The first AVP (from '99) was decent, everything since has been crap (again, can't say about Isolation, though). Isolation, though, seems more like the very first film in the franchise, and you just...play it. So, I'm not surprised it's genuinely terrifying.

As for Blomkamp, his political stuff has been...problematic to a degree, but more in the sense that it's just not executed with any particular deftness.

He's got an amazing eye for design, and he's quite good with action, but his handling of the political angle in his stories lacks any sense of deftness or subtlety. It's not even that the social critique is necessarily wrong, so much as it's just...over-the-top and barely scratches the surface of the issue. That might have been acceptable in years past, but it really isn't anymore. And even in years past, other stories were far better at playing with these themes in thought-provoking ways, rather than eye-roll-inducing ways. Even if you're sympathetic to his message, the message sounds more like what you'd hear from your average high school junior who ONLY JUST discovered XYZ political cause, right after proclaiming that OMG, it's almost like J.D. Salinger was telling his story in Catcher in the Rye. It's just very..."introductory level" the way it seems to be handled.

Basically, I'd hope that this might become Blomkamp's first foray into straight-up sci-fi rather than another "political" sci-fi outing. Otherwise he's just gonna be known as "Political Sci-Fi Guy" the way M. Night Shyamalan is known as "Plot Twist Guy."

Why'd you guys hate it so much?

I mean, I didn't love it, but I didn't truly hate it.

Actually, I don't really remember it that well anymore.

For 3 I remember nothing good.
The hate is because they kill off beloved characters that had gone through so much. It ripped the victory away
from ALIENS and wiped out the family we were left with at the end.

For 4.......
I don't hate it as much as 3 I guess. But it's just a mess.
I wish I had my own Call robot. Yeah. that would be ok. But as a character it was more, what the hell is she
doing in this movie?
Interesting how the critters thought to sacrifice one of their own to use it's acid blood to escape. that
was kind of cool. The Betty was a cool ship.
Forgot a lot now. Though I did see the newborn getting sucked out that little hole in the hull on TV,
and thought really? do they think that is what happens? It's like the exploding heads in Outland or
Total Recall. Where does this stuff get started????

Last edited:
Why'd you guys hate it so much?

I mean, I didn't love it, but I didn't truly hate it.

Actually, I don't really remember it that well anymore.

I like A3, it's funky and the characters are interesting. Resurrection I find insulting on many levels. The Aliens themselves goofy, the characters are laughable, and the story is dumb beyond belief. Other than that it's fine. :) Even Ron Perlman sucks in it.

This franchise is like a battered housewife who can't leave a cycle of abusive relationships with directors.
I can't bear to see her knocked about again by inept hands.
Hasn't she been through enough?
I want to petition for a restraining order.
One day she'll turn up dead and her blood will be on your hands.

For 3 I remember nothing good.
The hate is because they kill off beloved characters that had gone through so much. It ripped the victory away
from ALIENS and wiped out the family we were left with at the end.

For 4.......
I don't hate it as much as 3 I guess. But it's just a mess.
I wish I had my own Call robot. Yeah. that would be ok. But as a character it was more, what the hell is she
doing in this movie?
Interesting how the critters thought to sacrifice one of their own to use it's acid blood to escape. that
was kind of cool. The Betty was a cool ship.
Forgot a lot now. Though I did see the newborn getting sucked out that little hole in the hull on TV,
and thought really? do they think that is what happens? It's like the exploding heads in Outland or
Total Recall. Where does this stuff get started????

That's a perfect example of why I hated A4 so much, the aliens sacrifice one of their own to use the acid blood to escape and then twenty minutes later we find out they can spit acid? Why didn't they all just yack on the floor and escape?

Don't even get me started on the alien pushing the big red button with its teeth when it has perfectly good hands.:confused

This franchise is like a battered housewife who can't leave a cycle of abusive relationships with directors.

What about these movies make you believe it's the director's fault? Ridley Scott got the budget for the original movie DOUBLED when he used his artistic talent to story board the whole film. James Cameron not only convinced a big studio to go with his vision for a sequel, he put up money out of his own pocket during production when the budget couldn't afford the shot he wanted. David Fincher worked with what he had, and despite my many miserable feelings towards the film, at least everything about the direction is top notch. Jean-Pierre Jeunet? Well, it's a movie that deemed Alien3 worthy of a sequel. Funny since they couldn't get the name of the prison incorrect.

What about these movies make you believe it's the director's fault?
because the quip sounds better that way.
I first wrote "production" but it didn't have the same punch
Ridley Scott got the budget for the original movie DOUBLED when he used his artistic talent to story board the whole film. James Cameron not only convinced a big studio to go with his vision for a sequel, he put up money out of his own pocket during production when the budget couldn't afford the shot he wanted.
My gut says that Blomkamp's shortcoming isn't about budget. He can't write compelling characters or good dialogue.
David Fincher worked with what he had, and despite my many miserable feelings towards the film, at least everything about the direction is top notch. Jean-Pierre Jeunet? Well, it's a movie that deemed Alien3 worthy of a sequel. Funny since they couldn't get the name of the prison incorrect.
Admittedly I never gave Fincher's film a chance. That's before Fincher became Fincher, if you know what I mean. I've heard enough that I'm going to watch it after all.... "assembly edit."

Last edited:
That's before Fincher became Fincher, if you know what I mean. I've heard enough that I'm going to watch it after all.... "assembly edit."

Fincher was always Fincher (including his music video work. I mean, come on, Aerosmith's Janie's Got a Gun is a pretty good video). It was the producers who wouldn't allow for him to be Fincher for Alien 3. And I'm betting they were kicking themselves in the ass when Se7en came out for not allowing him to do what he wanted.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back