3d Printed Minigun Replica

Amazing work!
Having cleaned up a lot of RP parts I have to applaud you for the quality of your work and level of finish. Truly amazing.

Here's an animation I did a couple years back with the CAD files I had finished. It shows how the bolts cycle as the rotor spins. You can also see where the firing pins snap forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I've got one just like that! (the long ruler in the 3rd picture. :p )

Really cool work. That must've been fun babysitting your printer for the 78-hour part, ha!

Thanks for sharing with us.

How much did you spend on the materials for this? I heard a lot about 3D printing but the thing I hear the most is that the parts are pretty pricey for decent material!

$100. Seriously. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Ok, Maybe 150.00. Each spool of material is just over 2lbs. and cost about 33.00 each. The total weight of the gun is about 7 lbs. Some of which is the stainless steel tubes in the barrels for support. I have maybe 5 lbs. of material in the gun. Plus take into account all the failed prints. So we're pretty close. :)

Yeah, didn't think the 400 grit and heavy fill primer were breaking the bank for you either.... As I have said, The work is just beautiful, spot on.

BTW, doesn't PLA plastic start to degrade when in contact with air? I hope all your hard work doesn't get ruined.

TazMan2000
No. Only if you leave it out in the elements (UV, moisture, etc.) Indoors it should last as long as any other plastic. It would be similar to iron, if you leave it out or expose it to too much moisture, then it will rust. Plus most of it is sealed with the paint.

Have you ever heard of the Gau/8 Avenger 30mm Gatlang Cannon?
$100 is about how much I spent on my first Halo 3 Hayabusa Pepakura build
What 3d printer did you use?

I never knew (with a bit of sanding and 3d work) that a printer like that, could make something that looks identical to the real thing. I always thought that you would be able to tell that it was printed. How long did it take you to print the largest part?

TazMan2000

I never knew (with a bit of sanding and 3d work) that a printer like that, could make something that looks identical to the real thing. I always thought that you would be able to tell that it was printed. How long did it take you to print the largest part?

Well, the longest single print was 78 hours, and that was half of the feeder/delinker housing. Both pieces combined was 114 hours print time.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back