3d Printed Minigun Replica

1st off - amazing!

Did you think about using ABS plastic because it's nicer to finish?

Yes, I would have like to try ABS but at the time, I did not have a heated bed on the printer which is necessary to keep warpage to a minimum.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a few more pics of parts being printed and going through the finishing process. Sanding and filling.

Attachments

• rotor gear printing.jpg
    rotor gear printing.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 394
  • rotor_printing.jpg
    rotor_printing.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 419
  • rotor gear.jpg
    rotor gear.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 390
  • rotor_filling.jpg
    rotor_filling.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 610
So I HAVE to ask... if I wanted to buy a fully assembled replica of this gun with the Ol Painless predator harness and maybe an electric motor so the barrels will spin (maybe a simplified version that doesnt shoot ammo but still spins???) how much would that set me back? I simply MUST have one of these!!!

Thank you :)

Thanks eltee. Once I decide which handheld setup I want to do, I will be looking for reference pics. Most of the pics in the link you posted are missing. Maybe the page is too old? The only thing I don't like about that Predator gun I've seen here on the RPF is the main gun itself. I don't know if it's a toy or an airsoft but these lack a lot of detail overall. I know it's a manufacturing issue, the minigun receiver and feeder/delinker are very complex and probably very hard machine as a replica, especially in aluminum or other metal. Even the minigun in Iron Man II, the one Hammer was holding when they were arming the War Machine, was an airsoft. It was sooooo obvious, at least to me. The dead givaway on all of these replicas and airsofts is the lack of the rectangular hole right below the "ROTATION" text near the front of the receiver. They put an indentation there, but not very deep. There are many other details missing as well. For the average person, this is really no big deal, but I would like to fool even the experts so I have every detail in mine.

My gun is based off the original M-134, not the Dillon version (M-134D). I like the original better. I may create the same type of flash hider like on the Dillon but that's it. I'll either make it removable or make a second barrel clamp with the flash hider integrated.

Right now I'm working on the MK-16 Naval mount for the gun. I like it better than your average tripod. I attached a couple pics of what I've done so far and a pic of the actual mount on a real gun. Then I need to make the spade grip.

The first pic is the real deal, which mine will look like very soon. :)

I have two patrotic show cars that travel 6 months out of the year to various shows/events to help raise funds for Wounded Warrriors, I've been looking for such a jaw dropping prop to put on display between the vehicles.......

8759430417_2874ed29f7_h_zps95a0c657.jpg

Last edited:
Is still being finished i would love the outershell don't all the inside pieces
Since i would be using it for a static warmachine display piece

I received my 3d printer about the end of January and have been printing minigun parts ever since

That's why I sold mine and will never buy another until they speed up the process lol
Nice minigun though, really authentic :eek

Paul

That's why I sold mine and will never buy another until they speed up the process lol
Nice minigun though, really authentic :eek

Paul

Thanks! Yeah, the printing process is very slow and the finishing takes many hours as well. I may start printing more parts just to have on hand, maybe for another I can sell but with the time put in for printing and finishing, It would be priced around $3-4k.

Very impressive!!

I must ask, have you ever experienced that the printing layers will "shine through" the finished paint?
No matter how many layers of filler and how smooth I make my parts I always get this faint ribbing on the paint surface when dry and it's really bugging me!

Where did you get the stl files? A friend of mine is building a batmobile and would like to put two of these on it. I was going to start designing one from scratch but if I can download/print that would save time :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back