2-1B Surgical Droid

Shure 55SH, zorg showed me a pic of one of the heads fitted with it, seems to work just fine!

If I decide to go that route, I may try to source the vintage 55S model as it has the hole drilled and threaded for the tubing already. I believe the 55SH model is a remake of the 55S anyway so the size should be the same. You can get them for around a $100 on eBay. Hopefully I can catch a deal somewhere on one.

Yeah Zorg recommended the Sure and I managed to get a non working version cheap off ebay. Now all I need is Zorgs 2-1B head cast :)

if your're willing to wait then just trawl ebay, the cheap ones do come up. you just gotta catch them.

-z

see what i did with trawl + catch above?

Last edited:
nice one rob :)

just to answer the most common question i get asked.....
paints used for the head above were car aerosols

sapphire blue metallic base coat
aqua jade metallic misted over the top
aluminium (silver) sprayed over the top of both of them.
then washes of browns and black to dirty it down a little.

just so you know ;)

-z

Shiny metal bits, don't you just love them? :D

fnyQNSf.jpg

good on yah guys,

i know its nerve wracking hacking of the cast on mic and hacking off the bracket on the real mic, looks like you both did a top notch job.

thanks for posting

-z

please follow these instructions to ensure any future neck parts will fit. the head i am using has the internal jaggy flange removed.

this should be cut off. the neck parts are being designed to fit a head with this area removed.

it should be sanded back to the red dotted line, if this is not clear please get in touch

Thanks for the info on the trimming procedure, saves me the need to PM you. I will probably hold off for a while as I am still trying to source some paint that matches the European colors you used. I have several calls out to some custom auto paint places to see if they can't custom mix the right colors for me. Plus I am still patiently waiting to see if I don't come across a better deal on a Shure Mic body.

Well, I was able to find a gentleman to ship me a Shure 55s for $80.00. I guess it isn't terrible. I know there is still a market for the electronics as repair parts (Shure doesn't offer parts anymore for this model) so hopefully I can recoup some of the total cost by throwing the left over parts on eBay.

Now for the scary task of cutting the cast and grinding the bracket horns off the mic.

I have some promising news on the search for the European Ford paints here in the States. I just got off the phone with a highly recommended auto body and paint supply vendor a few towns over and they where able to quickly come up with the formulas for both the Ford Saphire Metallic (Factory code B 3/1) and the Ford Aquatic Jade Metallic (Factory code A 5) in order to mix up the colors for me in spray cans. Price for both cans would run me about $55US total.

I am gopnna try to head over they when I get a chance and see if the colors look good and match the paint samples I have seen on-line.

Keeping my fingers crossed they will work out.

Hey Zorg, if you get a chance, could you let me know if these two color samples appear to be the colors you used for you first two base coats.

Ford Aquatic Jade Metallic
Aquatic Jade Metallic.jpg

Ford Saphire Blue Metallic
Sapphire Metallic.jpg

Last edited:
ryan, the jade colour you have there looks way too dark

the blue looks pretty close
i can't find a pic of the paint but this is the sort of shade i used.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=87388
maybe even a touch lighter.

i'm sure you could find some off the shelf stuff instead of getting them custom made?

- - - Updated - - -

I sold my guts... untested for $30 a couple of days ago... So you can recoup some for sure.

thats a great idea, at least someone will get to use the rest of it instead of sitting in a box.

ryan, the jade colour you have there looks way too dark

the blue looks pretty close
i can't find a pic of the paint but this is the sort of shade i used.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=87388
maybe even a touch lighter.

i'm sure you could find some off the shelf stuff instead of getting them custom made?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh OK, more like a Turquoise Metallic.

I may get a can of Testors Model Masters Turquoise Metallic and do a few testing samples. Stuff is pretty cheep.

Thanks Chris!

I wanted a quick and easy solution (Read: One can does the trick) for the paintjob, so I shopped around a bit.
Found "Ford Avalon Grey" at a local car supplies store... looks close enough to me:

wwJbivu.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back