12th Doctor - Outfit guesses?

And for those intending to put this look together, the official BBC site states:
Sporting a dark blue Crombie coat with red lining, dark blue trousers, a white shirt as well as black Dr. Marten shoes, the look was created by Doctor Who costume designer Howard Burden.

Hate the drop crotch tapered trousers and shiny Doc Martens. The rest of it is fine but not flattering. I've always hated punk though, so I'm sure people will disagree.

Not drop fly, that would actually be kind of cool. Drop crouch is when the seat is intentionally patterned to low so the wearer can look like they're sagging their pants without actually having to do it. Tons of that garbage available at Topman a couple years ago.

I'm extremely underwhelmed and disappointed by the costume. I lacks character and any real defining characteristics. I think it's flat out boring. I don't care for the pants or shoes, and I really dislike the top button being done up on the shirt. There's nothing about it that says The Doctor to me.

As I said to a friend earlier today - I have absolutely no interest in cosplaying this

Which isn't something I often say about The Doctor.

After mulling it over today, I'm actually really happy I don't like it. Now instead of scrambling to get all the stuff as it's IDed and spending a ridiculous amount of money, I can just sit back, crack a beer, and laugh as all the ridiculous drama unfolds. (it's already started) So cheers, everybody.

After I looked around on the Crombie site, I got to say, the costume has a lot of hopefulness for it. People are just jumping the gun on a mediocre pic. I don't know how I feel about the buttons, but all the crombie coats are gorgeous in such a simplistic way. Sadly that doesn't come across in this one picture, but I'm sure the look will improve in other pictures. There were tons of pictures that made David Tennant's fantastic suit look terrible, and maybe 3 of Smith's.

The main reason I grew to the Crombie style was because of it slightly resembled a retro 60's businessman look, something that I really hoped Capaldi would go for because he has some really nice 60's styled glasses.

Well, I guess if you're a 12th doctor fan, now is the time to buy everything, as it's all currently in season and available. lol.

My only concern is that the outfit shown in the publicity still is something he only wears for a few minutes, then discards for his ACTUAL costume for the rest of the season :D

Either way, I think it's a darn nice coat, and the price isn't horrendous.

I basically like everything but the trousers. I love that he's wearing pleated pants, as I think they're due for a comeback, but the way they taper. . . It's worse than Matt Smith's, and they were designed to be skinny jeans. I mean they look like they'd actually cut off circulation to the feet. Coupled with the heavy, wide boots it just looks silly. That last point I'm sure they did on purpose, but all it does is annoy me.

Other than that, all they need to do is button his second jacket button and I'll be happy. I can live with the shirt button done up. But then, the BBC isn't there just to cater to my preferences, are they :p

I theorise that after the first or second season with Capaldi in it they'll generally remove the off-the-rack items and begin making their own costumes, like they did with the Eleventh.

Overall, I like it. From the one pic so far, I don't think it's as identifiable as 11's outfit was, or many of the other Doctors, but it's only one promo shot, so I'll reserve judgement until we see Capaldi in action.
It's not too far off what I had in mind for his outfit, although I was thinking a more old timey-wimey coat, and different colours, but these are all things that could vary throughout his run, so I think it's going to work well.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back