12th Doctor - Outfit guesses?

Radioman

The announcement of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor is great news for us *ahem* older cosplayers that like to make Doctor outfits. He's 7 years older than me so I no longer have to look ridiculous trying to pull off someone 15 or so years younger. Of course, I'm going to have to go on a Heroin binge to get down to his size...

Any guesses on the look they'll pick for him? It's going to be a considerably long time before we see his suit though, since he'll probably regenerate into the 11th Doctor's frock and then another 6 months before the next series starts...maybe. I'm not a huge fan of the BBC's scheduling of seasons.

Mark

I don't think you can ever really predict the next regeneration's look based on what we've seen (for newer ones)

The look of the last 3 have been different each time so you would expect this one to be similarly different

Can't wait though!

Is there an approximate date for the next series to start filming? I agree it's not incredibly likely we'll get to see the new costume on set for the Xmas special. Could indeed be a very long time before we get to see the costume. I'm very curious what direction they'll go in this time. It really is anybody's guess.

They're filming the regeneration scene in September, so filming for series 8 won't be until early 2014 probably, since they're probably gonna take a break again

If tradition holds, he'll at least be wearing Eleven's clothes on regeneration. Other than that, who knows? We could go back to a gentlemanly look, or it could be crazier than Five or Six (Davidson or Colin Baker)...though I really, really hope not. =)

5's wasn't crazy. Just sporty. :p

I wouldn't be surprised if we get something more akin to the first three Doctors. Also, don't be surprised if Moffat shoehorns him into the 50th, that's the kinda thing he'd do.

As for costume, who knows? Maybe they'll dig out his Pompeii costume. :p
Radioman; it's not just what they pick for him, it's what he'll pick. Production will have ideas and so will Peter. Both Matt and David (Not sure about Chris and the previous Doctors.) had big influences on the costume, because at the end of the day, they've got to wear them and be comfortable.

Maybe it won't be Earth garb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm predicting something similar to 10, where he has a somewhat form-fitting old suit, but mixed with a little bit of 2 or 4, having a little bit of "old man" flair. Plaid and/or out of date patterns, or what have you.

They're filming the regeneration scene in September, so filming for series 8 won't be until early 2014 probably, since they're probably gonna take a break again

My theory is that Moffat lied and he's regenerating during the 50th special. Moffat lies, it is known.

My theory is that Moffat lied and he's regenerating during the 50th special. Moffat lies, it is known.

But the 50th has already been shot. There's no way they would have been able to keep it secret if Capaldi had filmed scenes.

Mark

- - - Updated - - -

5's wasn't crazy. Just sporty. :p

I
@Radioman; it's not just what they pick for him, it's what he'll pick. Production will have ideas and so will Peter. Both Matt and David (Not sure about Chris and the previous Doctors.) had big influences on the costume, because at the end of the day, they've got to wear them and be comfortable.

Maybe it won't be Earth garb.

That's a good point. I forgot that they let the actor have a lot of leeway in the eventual costume. I just hope they don't as ridiculous as they did with the 6th Doctor. I'm sorry, but that looked dumb and I don't think the now modern audience wants to see a clown suit.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I hear, the 80's were crazy. Probably how he got away with it. :p

Before they got rid of him, he was supposedly going to wind have a blue coat, that would have looked better.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they give 12 a cameo in the 50th. He may even turn up like the cavalry.

Is the same costume designer that worked on the season 5 costume working on Who, or did the frock coat look come from a different designer? Not everyone agrees with me but the alternate 11 costumes for Matt's first season were awesome, much closer to 10's suit and tie look, with a big Sherlock coat. I can see Capaldi in that. Also, Louise Page had pitched a slightly offbeat, trendy plaid suit for Tennant. I can see Capaldi rocking that look too.

BTW, Colin was never going to wear a blue coat in the series, other than the mourning cloak they gave him for an episode of Varos. JN-T would never have allowed it. That came after, when fans, comic book artists etc. tried to tone down the outfit, presumably when Colin had said that the blue suited him.

I see Capaldi's Doctor wearing something very similar in essence to Tom Baker's (naturally without the scarf) - something quite simple but arty older bloke eccentric look - knee length dark brown heavy tweed coat (or rustic moleskin) with wide lapels, simple open necked dark coloured shirts with neckerchief and military boots. I cant see it going down the Victorian or gentlemanly road - I wish they'd left matt's most recent costume as it was as the purple frock coat really didnt work for me.

BTW, Colin was never going to wear a blue coat in the series, other than the mourning cloak they gave him for an episode of Varos. JN-T would never have allowed it. That came after, when fans, comic book artists etc. tried to tone down the outfit, presumably when Colin had said that the blue suited him.

I had heard that the blue coat (and overall blue look) was being introduced for his proposed next season before he was callously axed. Of all the doctors, Colin wouldv suited an all black look with his hair remaining like it was in his first season and not the bushy blonde garfunkle look of the trial of a timelord season

If tradition holds, he'll at least be wearing Eleven's clothes on regeneration. Other than that, who knows? We could go back to a gentlemanly look, or it could be crazier than Five or Six (Davidson or Colin Baker)...though I really, really hope not. =)

Davison's5 was my Doctor and I absolutely loved that outfit - it was a big contrast to everything that had went before - only critisism was that there was never a variation of it until the third season -but even then it stayed static. I could never truly believe that someone would stay in the exact same clothes all the time. To a certain extent I have that issue with the modern doctors but at least they would change jumpers/shirts - Tennant would have benefited from having several different colour pin stripes as the brown one was overused with limited use of the blue one.

I had heard that the blue coat (and overall blue look) was being introduced for his proposed next season before he was callously axed. Of all the doctors, Colin wouldv suited an all black look with his hair remaining like it was in his first season and not the bushy blonde garfunkle look of the trial of a timelord season

I honestly hadn't heard that. JN-T was convinced he was going to leave at the end of season 23, I'm not certain he would have been making costume decisions for he successor. Maybe you're right though. If the BBC had managed to find another producer at that point, I'm sure the costume would have changed. Personally, I don't think the blue Real Time outfit is much less of an eyesore than the original 6 costume!

Not everyone agrees with me but the alternate 11 costumes for Matt's first season were awesome

I've always much preferred the series 5 costume over the 6/7a costume. I also liked his hair better. It was more natural and great until they started putting a crap load of product in it.

According to the 12th Doctor reveal special, Colin Baker wanted a costume that was pretty much what they eventually did for Eccleston.
As for Capaldi's costume? There's a few factors to consider: Do the Powers That Be want a completely different look to Matt to sort of underline that this is a different personality? Will it be something incongrous to the actor? So instead of a young Matt Smith wearing old-man professor tweed, it would be older Capaldi wearing trendy clothing. Are they going to use the fact that Capaldi is older and steer away from a young look and give him something like Hartnell (and give the fangirls even MORE reason to whine)?
Perhaps something to make him appear more serious and dark? We've had two happy/quirky Doctors so that would be a change. There's a theory that the cause and immediate aftermath of a regeneration have a major imapact on the Doctor's personality. #9 killed off the Daleks and Gallifrey so he ended up dark, #10's personality was all about his connection to Rose and #11 imprinted on Amelia so ended up with a very child-like wonderment and playfulness. Not sure how this theory holds for the classic series, but I'd wager the events leading up to the 'death' of #11 will give us some idea of how #12 will turn out whn he's done 'cooking'.

Based on what little I know of Capaldi, I would think they might do a bit of a darker Doctor. Probably a darker coat and pant but not the leathery, street look that Eccleston had. Something even along the lines of Cumberbatch's Sherlock? Long dark coat, high collar? Perhaps even bring back a scarf?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back