1/350 TOS E is happening.

Grid Lines... we don't need no stinkin' grid lines!
Really guys, Just get a bottle of mr. surfacer primer and good brush... paint the stuff in let it set over night, and go at it with 400 sandpaper. Should be gone right then and there! Remember all the nonsense you had to go through with the AMT kit for the last 45 years! C'mon dudes! K

Grid Lines... we don't need no stinkin' grid lines!
Really guys, Just get a bottle of mr. surfacer primer and good brush... paint the stuff in let it set over night, and go at it with 400 sandpaper. Should be gone right then and there! Remember all the nonsense you had to go through with the AMT kit for the last 45 years! C'mon dudes! K

Yeah, the bottom of the saucer ain't gonna be that easy.

The rings and triangles are mixed up with the grids.

The gridlines on the bottom, fill them as suggested - then go back and scribe in those triangle lines. If you're spending more than an hour on this (minus time for primer/filler to dry), you may be barking up the wrong tree. Use a decent scribing tool, sharpened if you need to, and a straight edge (Dyno-tape would be great). Go carefully, lightly sand when you're through.

As to any remaining arguments about the gridlines being there in the first place - quit wasting all of our time, please. If you need help sorting out how to do this, feel free to reach out and ask for tips.

If you're getting hung up on this kit's gridlines, maybe you should consider sticking to the 1:1000 kit.

Seriously folks, this is model building 101 stuff here.

Your right Blackbird, who cares about accuracy.

Ohhh, somebody had to go and get snippy, didn't they? It was a relatively civil discussion until you had to go and post that. What is this? Hobbytalk?

A fellow modeler imparted some wisdom on me once, "model building is an illusion of accuracy." You know something, he was right. We are build at different levels with different styles. 10 models of the same subject might be built by 10 different modelers, but they won't look exactly the same while each would still be considered "accurate" and likely look good in the process. The standard of what is accurate and what isn't can vary by quite a bit, especially with a model based on a fictional subject such as the Enterprise (do you go studio model appearance, or TV screen, or something in between?)

Well if you hadn't used that as your Sig line Jeff, I would have as it is a most appropriate comment and all too true. Thanks for coming up with it!

Ohhh, somebody had to go and get snippy, didn't they? It was a relatively civil discussion until you had to go and post that. What is this? Hobbytalk?

A fellow modeler imparted some wisdom on me once, "model building is an illusion of accuracy." You know something, he was right. We are build at different levels with different styles. 10 models of the same subject might be built by 10 different modelers, but they won't look exactly the same while each would still be considered "accurate" and likely look good in the process. The standard of what is accurate and what isn't can vary by quite a bit, especially with a model based on a fictional subject such as the Enterprise (do you go studio model appearance, or TV screen, or something in between?)

Whatever dude. Maybve you should read the post above me about who got snippy first.

Last edited:
I did read the post and I know the guy that wrote it rather well. He said something a lot of us are feeling, he just happened to be a bit blunter in its delivery (same thing had been said before already, but in more subtle ways).

Snappishness aside, I would be thrilled to help out anyone who'd like assistance with making this model the best they want it to be - gridlines or not.

My first thought is one that came up in my local SF Model Club here in Seattle - primer sealer in sufficient coats to fill the lines, and sand back.

I prefer a spray-on approach so that I'm not fighting varying hills and valleys from brush-on applications, or other fillers - not suggesting one is better or worse, just sharing a preference. Either way, desired accuracy is achieved.

Just make sure you've got the nacelle cap motors turning in the same direction.... :popcorn

Cheers!

So I got a reminder to place my order per the instructions in the Nov 2nd email...but I never got a Nov 2nd email. :confused

I sent the note to their "Info" email address asking them to resend.

If you preordered photoetch from paragraphix you may want to check your paypal account. The invoice was there when i logged in this morning but i didn't get an email for it. Looks like it is ready to ship.
That's very odd. I'm sorry you didn't get an email on Wednesday - they should go automatically when the PayPal invoice is entered. Hadn't heard that anyone else had that problem.

So I got a reminder to place my order per the instructions in the Nov 2nd email...but I never got a Nov 2nd email. :confused

I sent the note to their "Info" email address asking them to resend.

Same thing here. How the hell can I refer to an email I never received? :confused

Beyond the griddy fun, the nacelle light effect is very high on my list. I worry it may not be as nice as the MR. We never saw an example of it and I went in blind.
Also hopefully it is possible to build it to be serviced if needed.

Beyond the griddy fun, the nacelle light effect is very high on my list. I worry it may not be as nice as the MR. We never saw an example of it and I went in blind.
Also hopefully it is possible to build it to be serviced if needed.

Yeah me too. Fingers crossed.

Doug

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back