1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Looking again I'm leaning towards it just being studio lights hitting the back of the panels. That's how I'd do it and is the cheapest way to get that effect.

You'll probably have to use a crap load of LED strips to get the same effect.

if you look carefully in the 1st pic - it would appear that each tile, or groups of tiles, had separate sources of back lights. You can see separate tiles illuminated. Ahhhh... the ship of riddles gets more... riddleeeyyy-ee :)

Another behind the scene pic - if you look at the far left side - you get an idea how bright those back lights were!

anhmfcockpit1ks1.jpg

Those are halogens, in other words, "studio lights" without the casing and focusing lens. Would explain the intense brightness.

More diffusion would certainly help. Would that also assist in helping the "square" tile glow without the intense round light of the drilled hole show through?

My "hmmmm" was actually in approval... I think the blue film works really well. But Orange Blend and Starkiller are correct - it still needs some diffusion. We're almost here!

I contacted a tile vendor who does have, at least in color and size, the tiles I've requested. I'm not sure whether the tiles are smooth with rounded edges.

How cool will this look if successful! :)

OB, is that done by adding more of the blue film? Or less intense light, or both? Sorry for the dumb question, I just didn't know the best way to achieve this.

OB, is that done by adding more of the blue film? Or less intense light, or both? Sorry for the dumb question, I just didn't know the best way to achieve this.

Neither actually. You need a diffusion layer which could be achieved by having something frosted on top of the hole. For example, try sanding the back of the tile so that it's nice and frosty then put it over the hole. It should allow the whole tile to illuminate much more evenly.

The original tiles look like pieces cut off sheets of opaque acrylic - these would diffuse light and give an even hue. Though would need lots of light to make it through the material.
Amazing, amazing build BTW!

The original tiles look like pieces cut off sheets of opaque acrylic - these would diffuse light and give an even hue. Though would need lots of light to make it through the material.
Amazing, amazing build BTW!

Hi L,

Thanks for the compliment. I think you're right. I think they are cut acrylic. I did have some but they were the wrong color and too thick.

Anybody want to take a guess what the thickness is?

Hi Gang,

I FORGOT... I also have these! :)

IMAG0438.jpg

They are a bit smaller but this would solve the back light issue... but thats a LOT of soldering! :)
IMAG0439.jpg

I can get these in various colors as well. What do you guys think?

try sanding the back of the tile so that it's nice and frosty then put it over the hole. It should allow the whole tile to illuminate much more evenly.

There is also "frost" spray paint that gets the same look. The only problem with that is getting the same uniform look all around the cockpit.

Hi G

I'm pretty sure you can get frosted Perspex, but if you go the opaque rout, 2mm is your best bet if it's available in that thickness. Thicker and you'll need brighter lights, thinner and it won't have the same diffusing effect and might get bright spots if the LED is close enough.

Hope that helps

Hi G

I'm pretty sure you can get frosted Perspex, but if you go the opaque rout, 2mm is your best bet if it's available in that thickness. Thicker and you'll need brighter lights, thinner and it won't have the same diffusing effect and might get bright spots if the LED is close enough.

Hope that helps

Hi C,

The bright spots are exactly what I'm trying to avoid - the same issues with the dome panel lights. :)

I know we as a group touched on the Perspex before. And I do think the designers used some kind of acrylic material. I'll definately look at the 2mm.

I'm going to start looking now - As always, thanks for the info!

OK Gang...

What's the concensus... acrylic tiles or use the actual illuminated buttons?

hi G

Tiles would look fine, they would be cheaper too I imagine (and a bit quicker), plus it'll save you having to solder all those buttons as you can use Chrimbo lights for the tiles.

The simplicity of underlit tiles gives them the advantage in my view, how many times would you say one of those buttons could be pressed by inquisitive fingers before it stops working?

Hay G

Y'know, it's just occored to me, you can vacform 2mm acrylic. Might work for the light covers if you can have a dome to form over (and a Henry or shop vac). Xrobots has a fantastic tutorial on making a good sturdy one, and unique heater for warming the plastic (full of awesome ideas that one). I'm putting one together after Chrismas so I can make the kids some clone armour (well Rex and Cody to be precise) among other things.

Hi Gang,

I've been in contact with a few plastics/acrylics companies and they are sending me samples of the blue, white and yellow 1 inch tiles with a 3mm thickness. It'll be a little while before those arrive.

However... I did take a few sample pics of the buttons on one of the panels. I'm not sure I like it.

Next to 1in tiles for comparo
20121128_201757.jpg

Hi Cisco!
20121128_201717.jpg

20121128_201657.jpg

Overview to get an idea what it might look like. Not thrilled...
20121128_201542.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back