1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Its funny... as I mentioned I was watching SpikeTVs SW marathon yesterday. Having seen SW a billion times, I know longer listen to the dialogue... I spend all my time looking for details, parts, and how the designers created this panel, that panel, etc...

It's amazing how "questionable" (I use that term lightly of course :)) some of the sets actually are. You can see brush strokes, nail pops, screws, etc... Makes me think we just might be able to pull this full scale build off - especially with me on the team! lol

Last edited:

It's amazing how "questionable" (I use that term lightly of course :)) some of the sets actually are. You can see brush strokes, nail pops, screws, etc... Makes me think we just might be able to this full scale build off - especially with me on the team! lol

Yep. It was a budget production and they didn't exactly have HD or multiple scrutinizing viewings in mind. ;)

Isn't it funny what HD does for a movie...

There will probably be no real updates today. I have 3 non-SW related projects I'm working simultaneously...

Please Stay Tuned! :)

Hi Gang,

NEED SOME HELP! :)

I'm looking for 1 inch (25mm) square, smooth, colored, transparent mosaic tiles to use for the blue, white and yellow buttons found throughout the MF and other SW related panels. The idea is to cut a hole(s) in the panel, adhere the tiles to the front and allow a backlight to illuminate the tile giving it the appearance of an illuminated button.

This is what I have found so far but these are too small and they do not offer anything bigger: Transparent 10mm Resin Mosaic Tiles - Royal Blue

After looking at multiple screen shots I am almost convinced this is what the designers did to achieve the illuminated look.

I'm searching the net but I know there HAS TO BE someone on the forum who can point me in the right direction. :)

As always... Thanks! And stay tuned!

QUESTION:

Gang... Should I have the good fortune and find the tiles required to achieve the "illuminated" button look we all love... "should" I cut the holes necessary in the new existing panels and backlight the tiles "or" stick with the same non-transparent tiles I used for the console?

Keep in mind, I am rebuilding the center console but I don't think ANY of those buttons had the illuminated look. It would be cool to achieve that same for the new console.

My opinion is to cut the holes - ONLY after doing many tests to get the design, look and feel down perfectly. I've put a lot of work into the pinstriping and I don't want to mess that up! :)

What do you guys think?

Hi Gang,

I had a few of the clear glass tiles laying around that I had painted blue. This is the first test of the backlighting...

simple hole cut with blue tiles - Not quite there
20121127_174506.jpg

With camera flash
20121127_174521.jpg

20121127_174527.jpg

With blue transparent film
20121127_174904.jpg

Getting there...????
20121127_174843.jpg

HMMMMM...
20121127_174837.jpg

Opinions?

I like the blue film, it looks pretty good. Was your "HMMMM" a doubt in how in looks?

My "hmmmm" was actually in approval... I think the blue film works really well. But Orange Blend and Starkiller are correct - it still needs some diffusion. We're almost here!

I contacted a tile vendor who does have, at least in color and size, the tiles I've requested. I'm not sure whether the tiles are smooth with rounded edges.

How cool will this look if successful! :)

Last edited:

Check out this screen grab - you can see the diffusion, the "clear" hole cut in the panel and the brightness of the back light

swempire_1944.jpg

Another - the question is: what did they use to back light those tiles - that's a really bright light.

swempire_2288.jpg

Looks like it might have been a rack of florescents. Otherwise point a large studio lamp at the back and light 'er up! Studio lights are wicked bright.

As for your previous question about tiles that aren't lit in the original I think you should drill them so that they can be lit and then make some of your functional switches turn them off and on. :love

Instant "screen accurate" and "play time" modes all in one!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back