1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

I'm going to be pin striping my DS set soon. Any tips to working with it? I haven't pinstripped before. I guess a lot depends on the tape. and how stretchy it is. My plan was to draw my lines in pencil and then go right over top.

Scott

Hi S,

It's very simple. Your description is exactly how you pin stripe... However...

1) Draw a light pencil line.
2) Unroll the pin stripe to the desired length and cut at the roll.
3) Remove the backing material from the "opposite" side you cut - makes it easier to remove backing.
4) Place one end of the pin stripe down and gently press into position then gently pull so the stripe is straight (BUT DO NOT STRETCH) and lay it even with the pencil line.
5) Gently tap down on the stripe as you move across the line.
6) Once the stripe is laid into position, run your finger across the stripe adding more pressure with each pass until the the stripe is place.
7) Too much pressure will cause the stripe to fold onto itself

AGAIN - DO NOT STRETCH the stripe or it will pop back leaving a huge gap.

Make sense? :)

If you go with the Christmas light approach make sure you go with LEDs rather than bulbs (LEDs have a much longer lifespan). You don't want to have to dig around inside the prop trying to find a burned out bulb when a string goes bad.

LIGHTS! CAMERA! ACTION!

We have lights... kinda...

IMAG1136.jpg

IMAG1139.jpg

From the back - I will have to create a spacer between the instrument panel and the back boxes. No biggie though
IMAG1140.jpg

Had a video but there was an error... I'll get it fixed soon enough... Sorry

Last edited:

Hi Gang,

I just found some pre-wired LEDs. I'm going to look into going that route instead of the Christmas lights. But I'm still looking into the those Christmas Light controllers. I think we might have a winner!

Its been raining so I wasnt really able to get anything done.

More to come!

Hi G

Glad you like the tree light idea. The LEDs and controller idea is better though, as you can mix colours in the same string if your making one yourself, very cool :thumbsup Don't be shy to give me a holler of you want help with that though, I'm rather good at soldering ; )

Anyhoo, I thought I'd show you this just before the cover gets a layer of silicone on it
b67bfcab.jpg

And a few interesting Sci-Fi looking greeblies one of my kids donated for the cause
92a2f36d.jpg

Those will be added to the bag of goodies I'll send you :) (unless you want them now :lol)

Hi Gang,

Thanks for all the compliments! I think the LEDs will make ALL the difference in the world. And with them being pre-wired it will certainly make it easier to wire up.

I forgot to mention a few new greeblies that arrived in the mail... I get pics posted this evening!

Hi G

Glad you like the tree light idea. The LEDs and controller idea is better though, as you can mix colours in the same string if your making one yourself, very cool :thumbsup Don't be shy to give me a holler of you want help with that though, I'm rather good at soldering ; )

Anyhoo, I thought I'd show you this just before the cover gets a layer of silicone on it
b67bfcab.jpg

And a few interesting Sci-Fi looking greeblies one of my kids donated for the cause
92a2f36d.jpg

Those will be added to the bag of goodies I'll send you :) (unless you want them now :lol)

C.... The dome lens is really coming along! Your idea of making a clear lens and then painting it using luminescent paint is brilliant... It's certainly easy on you. :)

Tell your son I LOVE the greeblies he's donated and I appreciate his willingness to part with some cool pieces. :) I'll add his name to the special plaque that will mounted to the console once it's finished (shoot me a PM / Email).

Let him know that the pieces will be added to one of the new projects I'm getting ready to start. Can't give out too much info yet... not sure which one to start first! LOL

Again, the lens is looking great! Give your son a big "High Five" for me!

More to Come!

Hi Gang,

This is the Christmas Tree Light Controller I was describing
Color Change, Twinkle, Cascading, and Multi-Function Christmas Lights 8-Function Light Controller - 4 Channel WL-CONT-4-8F

These are the pre-wired 12v LEDs (sample)
12V pre wired leds,12V blue leds,12V red leds,12V white leds,Shanghai HuiHe I.T. CO.,LTD.

OK... so... here's the question... I'm reading up on how to wire but I do have a question for the pro's. Can these 12v LEDs be strung together to a plug that can then simply "plug" into the controller? I'm assuming I'll need a few more pieces (resistors, etc).

I think this is a GREAT combo and would save LOTS of time. I know anything is possible but wanted to tap the expertise out there.

Thanks

Hi Gang,

Minor updates...

Mounted the front panel lights
IMAG1144.jpg

Then painted black around the edges to match the greeblie
IMAG1146.jpg

Added light to back of panel
IMAG1147.jpg

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

Found another great greeblie in the toilet aisle... Nothing better than having your ballcock replaced or repaired...
IMAG1149.jpg

Got the front panel greeblies attached
IMAG1148.jpg

Received more used laptop parts from a buddy of mine - these are AWESOME greeblies... What do you guys think? I was thinking of putting red LEDs in the small screw holes on the right. Yea or Nay?
IMAG1150.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back