IMAG1129.jpg

From Far Far Away...
IMAG1131.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:
Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

:love Wow, this looks amazing !!! :thumbsup

Hi K,

Thank you! I have to admit that the formica really hit me in the gut and made me rethink this whole project. But now I'm at the fun part. I really enjoy the pin striping - its very theraputic. :)

I've been following this thread from the start & I'd just like to say....what an amazing thread!
Its been great fun seeing this come together.
All the different parts you made excellent use of, great wood working skills, lots of great pic's & fast updates, its a real pleasure to read (y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup :)

Hi L,

VERY kind words indeed. Thank you so much. Everybody has been so supportive and helpful! :) But stay tuned... you'll be VERY suprised at what's coming next!

Wow! I've hardly been to the RPF since it's adress restoration, and Ive missed a TOn of cool stuff, especially this!! I've been a fan of Steve's work since he started his thread on sceen accurate MF. I'm so envious of you guys building a 1/1 console. I never new there was another base to the thing...

Hi Q,

YUP! When I stumbled across Starkillers 3D model it was the one thing that pushed me into creating something I've wanted to build sonce I was 8... 35 years later... here we are. :)

This is console #1. Because of the formica it just didnt turn out exactly the way I hoped. So I've been chatting with a guy who is going to CNC cut all the panels in MDF. That will give me a perfect base to work with and then I can work all the lighting issues at the same time.

In photos it looks cool - but there are multiple errors (as with anything we build without plans or "know how"). I would love to have seen the original screen version and compare the two.

Stay Tuned

Hi Drakarta,

Thanks for taking the time to look. :) The mini toggles are just a bit too small. I have a bag of 50+ mini's and they just dont look right next to the square tiles...

What I'm hoping to find is a paddle style toggle switch similar to those used on airplanes

Fisheries - Product Detail

This switch has a 1" long paddle which would be perfect! But they're expensive. And with over 300 in the cockpit... I can't justify spending that kind of money.

Another idea which would add a little more light to the cockpit would be an illuminated toggle switch. That would look really cool!

Toggle switches | Durite LED toggle switch | Direction switch

But then again... maybe a compromise will have to be made? :)

Again, thanks for taking the time to look. Keep digging!

Hi Drakarta,

Thanks for taking the time to look. :) The mini toggles are just a bit too small. I have a bag of 50+ mini's and they just dont look right next to the square tiles...

What I'm hoping to find is a paddle style toggle switch similar to those used on airplanes

Fisheries - Product Detail

This switch has a 1" long paddle which would be perfect! But they're expensive. And with over 300 in the cockpit... I can't justify spending that kind of money.

Another idea which would add a little more light to the cockpit would be an illuminated toggle switch. That would look really cool!

Toggle switches | Durite LED toggle switch | Direction switch

But then again... maybe a compromise will have to be made? :)

Again, thanks for taking the time to look. Keep digging!

Hi G

If you got one of 1" paddle switched, I could mould it and make shed loads (if I just copy the top half that will be seen on the console, it'll be cheap too :thumbsup)

Hi G

If you got one of 1" paddle switched, I could mould it and make shed loads (if I just copy the top half that will be seen on the console, it'll be cheap too :thumbsup)

I just got an email from Chris Lee (founder of the Full Scale MF Build) and he's forwarding some toggle switches to me... So I will see what comes in the mail.

HOWEVER... I do have a TON of the mini toggles. I'll mail both the min and whatever I find for you to work your magic.

WOW... this project truly is an international effort! :)

For some reason, whenever I think of Falcon toggle switches (which is more often than you might realize), I think of this style:

21xyD3newVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Mini paddle switch." They're almost three bucks each at Amazon, so... :eek

And another thing: It looks to me like two sets of different-sized toggles, larger on the left side (two rows of 10). FWIW.

Last edited:

I'm loving this thread!!!! What an amazing project!!! Can't wait to see the next photos :)

For some reason, whenever I think of Falcon toggle switches (which is more often than you might realize), I think of this style:

21xyD3newVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Mini paddle switch." They're almost three bucks each at Amazon, so... :eek

And another thing: It looks to me like two sets of different-sized toggles, larger on the left side (two rows of 10). FWIW.

Hey MFP,

YUP... they are NOT cheap... When I started this thread I thought it would be cool for each switch to control a different LED. I wanted as much interaction as possible. Lofty goals... but then reality set in when I realized how much each switch cost... "... But there are alternatives..."

Are you refering to the 2 rows of switches on the "armrest" of the console? Steve Starkiller thought (per his 3D model) there were 40 total switches on the "armrest". I'll go back and take a look. :)

I'm loving this thread!!!! What an amazing project!!! Can't wait to see the next photos :)

Hi CJ,

Thanks for the kind words. These past few days have been a lot of fun. Although i have to admit, I did take the better part of yesterday off - I needed the break. But, there should be some great parts coming in the mail this week.

I will also be creating a new throttle housing. But I'm not sure whether to use the throttle assembly I have or attempt a more "screen accurate" assembly?

Stay Tuned!

LIGHTS???

Hi gang... With the next console build creeping up on me I REALLY want to figure out the lighting - whether to do something simple or complex. Having VERY limited experience with electronics... I can flip a switch... I know this is going to create a headache.

I have a fantastic LED Christmas Tree string (50 lights) that allows me to choose from several different settings: blinking, glowing, random, twinkle, etc... All of the settings are in a small control box at the end of the strand. This is perfect!

I've been looking on the net and can't anything that remotely resembles how to connect individual LEDs myself to match the Christmas tree lights. I'm wondering... to make it easy on myself, just to use the Christmas Tree lights I have and drill holes in the panels... I have found numerous different "controllers" that go in front of the tree lights - that's always an option???

What do you guys think? Can anybody point me in the right direction? :) As always, thanks gang!

Hey MFP,

YUP... they are NOT cheap... When I started this thread I thought it would be cool for each switch to control a different LED. I wanted as much interaction as possible. Lofty goals... but then reality set in when I realized how much each switch cost... "... But there are alternatives..."

Are you refering to the 2 rows of switches on the "armrest" of the console? Steve Starkiller thought (per his 3D model) there were 40 total switches on the "armrest". I'll go back and take a look. :)

Yes, the armrest switches. It looks like 20 on the left and more smaller ones (30?) on the right—not that I want to disagree with Steve! I'll see if I can get a good look at the DVD today if it helps.

LIGHTS???

Hi gang... With the next console build creeping up on me I REALLY want to figure out the lighting - whether to do something simple or complex. Having VERY limited experience with electronics... I can flip a switch... I know this is going to create a headache.

I have a fantastic LED Christmas Tree string (50 lights) that allows me to choose from several different settings: blinking, glowing, random, twinkle, etc... All of the settings are in a small control box at the end of the strand. This is perfect!

I've been looking on the net and can't anything that remotely resembles how to connect individual LEDs myself to match the Christmas tree lights. I'm wondering... to make it easy on myself, just to use the Christmas Tree lights I have and drill holes in the panels... I have found numerous different "controllers" that go in front of the tree lights - that's always an option???

What do you guys think? Can anybody point me in the right direction? :) As always, thanks gang!

I've seen someone reuse the wiring out of a greeting card that had flashing lights to make a series of LEDs light up in a semi-random pattern. Pretty sure that wouldn't really help much, but if you could get your hands on one you might be able to figure out how the wiring works in one of those and scale it up a bit.

Yes, the armrest switches. It looks like 20 on the left and more smaller ones (30?) on the right—not that I want to disagree with Steve! I'll see if I can get a good look at the DVD today if it helps.

PERFECT! DVDs NEVER LIE! :)

I've seen someone reuse the wiring out of a greeting card that had flashing lights to make a series of LEDs light up in a semi-random pattern. Pretty sure that wouldn't really help much, but if you could get your hands on one you might be able to figure out how the wiring works in one of those and scale it up a bit.

Hi D,

I'm looking into Christmas tree light "controllers" I found on the net. These controllers allow different settings: flashing, dimming, twinkle, fade in/out, etc... And they work with ANY plug in light. I'll go that route first and see what happens. :)

Light :
i like that idea of those christmas tree lights and controllers. Seems cheap and solid. If it does appear a bit too pattern-like you could just get 4 or 5 strings and mix them up :thumbsup

Light :
i like that idea of those christmas tree lights and controllers. Seems cheap and solid. If it does appear a bit too pattern-like you could just get 4 or 5 strings and mix them up :thumbsup

Hi K,

That was my EXACT thoughts. Have some strings that stay on, others that blinks, and maybe even a few that twinkle... :) It's cheap and reliable and I'm not going to burn the house down (that's really important)

Hi K,

Thank you! I have to admit that the formica really hit me in the gut and made me rethink this whole project. But now I'm at the fun part. I really enjoy the pin striping - its very theraputic. :)

I'm going to be pin striping my DS set soon. Any tips to working with it? I haven't pinstripped before. I guess a lot depends on the tape. and how stretchy it is. My plan was to draw my lines in pencil and then go right over top.

Scott

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back