TRON LEGACY: ID Disc :: Small Update

nexnox

Hello all, Started part 2 of my Identity Disc project. My friend created the original thread before I had membership, so I am going to continue it here.
The original thread: http://www.therpf.com/f9/tron-legacy-identity-disc-progress-82836/

So it's been some time since any updates, and frankly I haven't been working on it. Working full force on MiB3 has been exhausting. But alas, I have focused long enough to reach stage 2.

Here is the interior of the halve pathed and ready for machining.
attachment.php

I will take some more pictures when I get to work in the morning, hopefully the interior will be finished and I didn't break an endmill somewhere during the process!

Last edited:
Re: TRON LEGACY: Identity Disc Progress Pt.2

Interior done. Picture linked.

I have now flipped the part and am machining the top surface.

Re: TRON LEGACY: Identity Disc Progress Pt.2

Machining Done, Pretty much ready to mold. Just a little fringe to cleanup. feels delicate, but thats the Renshape. The plastic will feel more rigid.

Re: TRON LEGACY: Identity Disc ::Out of CNC::

WOW! That is looking amazing. :)

Are you gonna be figuring out all of the lighting as well? Are these gonna be made up to the screen used durability?

Since the guy who worked on MIB1 and 2 made the actual discs... you are gonna have to show us what you are made of! LOL! JK!

Seriously though, this is very exciting. I almost bought a couple of the toys to mod but I know the size diff would eventually bother me and that soon someone would have something more accurate.

Really hope you offer kits.

What materials will the final product be made from?

Great project!

Glad that the usual "I want one!" posts are not made, since they´d violate the Member guidelines ;)

That is a fantastic looking prop! incredible detail :) can't wait to see it finished

Glad that the usual "I want one!" posts are not made, since they´d violate the Member guidelines ;)
Well, of course all those of us who saw the original in the theater want one. But it's a tough economy, and I just don't have the time to devote to doing it right. Like this one.

Awesome job, man!

Small update, sprayed primer. Box for mold is being built and I have made the split boards. I hope to pour one side of the silicone today.
a6cd8b88-c1cf-560b.jpg

Soo effin' cool! :thumbsup

Looking forward to the progress on this!

Very nice. How inaccurate are the toy ones out of curiosity. I got the deluxe one and its okay but until i see more pics hard to tell. I can't wait to see more of these.

Very nice. How inaccurate are the toy ones out of curiosity. I got the deluxe one and its okay but until i see more pics hard to tell. I can't wait to see more of these.

I like to think that what I am making is as close to accurate as possible.

User Nickytea posted this picture on the old thread.
disccomp.gif

as you can see the center hole looks a lot smaller and the "body" looks a lot wider. But this is the "flying" one.

I hear that the deluxe disc is about an inch smaller, I haven't measured it. But I have held one (in it's packaging at Disneyland,) Of course I am biased but It didn't feel right.

Also, I understand that depending on the Prop, time-frame, and budget certain shortcuts will be made in the manufacturing. Creating less then ideal flaws/design elements. i.e. I feel that the rare earth magnets would have preferred to not be seen. but without the time to design an elaborate mounting mechanism, these had to suffice.

Yes, the thrower and the deluxe are both wrong in different ways. Yours looks about perfect nex!

And for whatever reason the magnets are visable... I personally like em! :)

What materials are these gonna be made of? Are they gonna be pretty tough like the screen used were? Any ideas on lighting?

Can you tell I'm excited??? :lol

Quick update:
Primed and sanded the Disc, got it into a mold, mold is done. Gonna pour the first part tomorrow, AM hopefully.

Attached Pics.

Re: TRON LEGACY: Identity Disc :: Mold Pics

This is coming along VERY nicely. Can't wait for the pics of your fist pull.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back